Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: So why did we all cut the cable cord again?
Quote: @FLVike said:
I have an idea for a business if someone would like to take it to Shark Tank.A wholesale club.
1. Membership fees are $45 a year.2. Our prices will not be great but a person could save a little on a few items. Actually, with coupons people would save more money shopping at Walmart.
3. We will check customers cards on their way into the store. This will cause a jam at the door but people will get used to it.4. We will not have any employees to help customers while in the store.
5. We will sell space for businesses like or AT&T to stop our customers to try and sell them phone and TV contracts.
6. Most merchandise will be on pallets. If something is out of reach a customer should not have to wait more than 3 hours for us to get a forklift there to retrieve it.7. People can check-out at self service check-outs. We will not have any bags for them.8. While leaving the store all customer carts will be checked to make sure they are not stealing. This will certainly cause a jam at the door but we don't care.

If you think this is what Costco is, you really don't understand Club business, lol. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@FLVike said:
I have an idea for a business if someone would like to take it to Shark Tank.A wholesale club.
1. Membership fees are $45 a year.2. Our prices will not be great but a person could save a little on a few items. Actually, with coupons people would save more money shopping at Walmart.
3. We will check customers cards on their way into the store. This will cause a jam at the door but people will get used to it.4. We will not have any employees to help customers while in the store.
5. We will sell space for businesses like or AT&T to stop our customers to try and sell them phone and TV contracts.
6. Most merchandise will be on pallets. If something is out of reach a customer should not have to wait more than 3 hours for us to get a forklift there to retrieve it.7. People can check-out at self service check-outs. We will not have any bags for them.8. While leaving the store all customer carts will be checked to make sure they are not stealing. This will certainly cause a jam at the door but we don't care.

If you think this is what Costco is, you really don't understand Club business, lol. 
Sounds more like sams club 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@FLVike said:

Thats Sams Club for sure. They have a few things that are cheaper. When I do need to get a case of meat theyre cheaper and I can get catering supplies. 

Past that its not great prices.  Aldi is cheaper on most groceries. 

Cutting the cord isn't all about streaming.  Sure I use streaming services, and it's nice none of them lock you into contracts so you can drop and add anytime you want.I mainly cut the cord so I can get more OTA free local channel programming.  I added two antennas to my rooftop and I now get over 30 channels of "free" TV.  I also have a Tablo device that hooks up to my antenna as my over the air DVR.I plugged my antenna coax cable into the splitter I had already in place from my prior satellite connection, and now I get crystal clear free TV throughout my house - it's sweet!

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
You have to be on the lookout and switch from time to time. It was only a matter of time before cable companies were going to jump on streaming. Although Disney and Netflix seem to be losing. 
True on the first part.  Huh, on the Netflix part?

Quote: @HappyViking said:
Cutting the cord isn't all about streaming.  Sure I use streaming services, and it's nice none of them lock you into contracts so you can drop and add anytime you want.I mainly cut the cord so I can get more OTA free local channel programming.  I added two antennas to my rooftop and I now get over 30 channels of "free" TV.  I also have a Tablo device that hooks up to my antenna as my over the air DVR.I plugged my antenna coax cable into the splitter I had already in place from my prior satellite connection, and now I get crystal clear free TV throughout my house - it's sweet!

There was a website that let you put in your GPS coordinates to see what type of OTA you might get.  I needed a 2000' antenna to expect to get coverage 80% of the time. 

We did not go forward with the permitting process. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@HappyViking said:

There was a website that let you put in your GPS coordinates to see what type of OTA you might get.  I needed a 2000' antenna to expect to get coverage 80% of the time. 

This is a good one to help you know about antenna signal strength you'd expect by entering in your zip code: https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@AGRforever said:
@HappyViking said:

This is a good one to help you know about antenna signal strength you'd expect by entering in your zip code: https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

For the best prediction on tv reception, use your exact address!  If I use my zip code, dtvmaps puts my location 25 miles closer to the towers but below a hill which means poor predicted reception.  At my actual location, I have excellent reception and high signal strength with just a bare coax wire, even better with an antenna!

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@FLVike said:

Thats Sams Club for sure. They have a few things that are cheaper. When I do need to get a case of meat theyre cheaper and I can get catering supplies. 

Past that its not great prices.  Aldi is cheaper on most groceries. 

Yes, Sams club. If there was a Costco 50 miles from my house I would never go back to Sams club.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
EDIT- Since I don't have a time machine I'll say I saw something about AppleTV+ offering 2 free months for new or returning subscribers right now. I didn't do it but that's out there, if that service interests anyone. I've heard good things about Severence and Silo, but can't confirm since I haven't watched them.
Silo was ok, but Severance is definitely a hit. Can't wait for the next season.