Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For supafreak84. Thought you'd like this
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I had the chance to visit with Zyg and Mark before a game in KC years ago,  for gazillion aires they were very approachable and friendly,  even if they did lie about the tailgating priority of a new stadium,  I have to admit that I am still a fan of theirs as far as an ownership group goes.
The Wilfs are great people and great owners. On the flip side they've done nothing to show they know the game of football. Take the good with the bad 
what owner knows the game of football?  every owner out there gets blasted for how bad they screw things up.   the best owners just hire football people and sign checks,  those that try and be football people just end up looking the fool.
It can certainly be argued if they hired a "football person" in KAM. I think they carry unreasonable expectations a lot of times and project those expectations on to their football people instead of just allowing them to do their jobs. I firmly believe that's the reason our first choice for the job (Poles) took the Bears job instead 
Who said he was the first choice?  Do we know if he was for sure offered?
Poles was the first guy we interviewed and was widely considered to be the favorite. We waited on him to make a decision before we moved on to the fallback option in Kwesi, who to me was a political hire (at least partially) when examining the resumes of some of the other candidates interviewed. Particularly Spytek and Monti Ossenfort, who is now the GM of the Cardinals 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I had the chance to visit with Zyg and Mark before a game in KC years ago,  for gazillion aires they were very approachable and friendly,  even if they did lie about the tailgating priority of a new stadium,  I have to admit that I am still a fan of theirs as far as an ownership group goes.
The Wilfs are great people and great owners. On the flip side they've done nothing to show they know the game of football. Take the good with the bad 
what owner knows the game of football?  every owner out there gets blasted for how bad they screw things up.   the best owners just hire football people and sign checks,  those that try and be football people just end up looking the fool.
It can certainly be argued if they hired a "football person" in KAM. I think they carry unreasonable expectations a lot of times and project those expectations on to their football people instead of just allowing them to do their jobs. I firmly believe that's the reason our first choice for the job (Poles) took the Bears job instead 
Poles was the first guy we interviewed and was widely considered to be the favorite. We waited on him to make a decision before we moved on to the fallback option in Kwesi, who to me was a political hire (at least partially) when examining the resumes of some of the other candidates interviewed. Particularly Spytek and Monti Ossenfort, who is now the GM of the Cardinals 
I don't know about it being political. I assume it was at least partly because of his analytics-type background. KAM obviously did not grow up around the game. 

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I don't know about it being political. I assume it was at least partly because of his analytics-type background. KAM obviously did not grow up around the game. 
Well can anyone name another GM who's primary football related background is limited to analytics? All of the final four teams last season are ran by GM's who's background is in scouting, player personnel, or is one of the greatest football players of all time (John Lynch). You can be the smartest, book smart guy on the planet, but that doesn't mean you know shit about football or building a roster. It's like hiring a college graduate with a masters degree and thinking because they are a college graduate they'd make a good cop or ski instructor for example, when one has no bearing on the other. He was such a completely outside the box hire and it gives me a good chuckle when I hear some on here down playing the opinions of others while justifying some of these things Kwesi has done, because, well, "he's a smart college guy so he must know what he is doing." Or, the "Wilfs wouldn't have hired him if they didnt know what they were doing." Let's not forget these are the same Wilfs who gave Brad Childress a contract extension after one good year with Favre, only to fire him the following season. The Wilfs are fans with a shit ton of money. So no, just because these guys are "in charge" doesn't mean they know what they are doing or are any smarter on the matter then you or I. I think that's something to keep in mind as we go through this transition and being objective 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Well can anyone name another GM who's primary football related background is limited to analytics? All of the final four teams last season are ran by GM's who's background is in scouting, player personnel, or is one of the greatest football players of all time (John Lynch). You can be the smartest, book smart guy on the planet, but that doesn't mean you know shit about football or building a roster. It's like hiring a college graduate with a masters degree and thinking because they are a college graduate they'd make a good cop or ski instructor for example, when one has no bearing on the other. He was such a completely outside the box hire and it gives me a good chuckle when I hear some on here down playing the opinions of others while justifying some of these things Kwesi has done, because, well, "he's a smart college guy so he must know what he is doing." Or, the "Wilfs wouldn't have hired him if they didnt know what they were doing." Let's not forget these are the same Wilfs who gave Brad Childress a contract extension after one good year with Favre, only to fire him the following season. The Wilfs are fans with a shit ton of money. So no, just because these guys are "in charge" doesn't mean they know what they are doing or are any smarter on the matter then you or I. I think that's something to keep in mind as we go through this transition and being objective 
There is no formula for success as a GM. In any sport. Jerry Rice was one of the greatest players of all time. Much better than John Lynch. Dan Marino was a lot better than John Lynch. So was OJ Simpson. And Randy Moss. None of them has built a SB winner as a GM.  Neither have hundreds of other great former NFL stars. Lots of former scouts have failed as GMs. In fact, every single GM the Vikings have ever had has failed to bring a SB to Minnesota.

Some fans may want the Wilfs to try something different. You know the old saying about insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Others want them to keep doing what they've been doing; do what every other team does. And as a fan you can critique any choice they make at least until they win a SB. You are a fan; you have that right.  You even have the right to think that you are a better GM than KAM. I support your right to think that. And until you buy your own team, we will never know.

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
There is no formula for success as a GM. In any sport. Jerry Rice was one of the greatest players of all time. Much better than John Lynch. Dan Marino was a lot better than John Lynch. So was OJ Simpson. And Randy Moss. None of them has built a SB winner as a GM.  Neither have hundreds of other great former NFL stars. Lots of former scouts have failed as GMs. In fact, every single GM the Vikings have ever had has failed to bring a SB to Minnesota.

Some fans may want the Wilfs to try something different. You know the old saying about insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Others want them to keep doing what they've been doing; do what every other team does. And as a fan you can critique any choice they make at least until they win a SB. You are a fan; you have that right.  You even have the right to think that you are a better GM than KAM. I support your right to think that. And until you buy your own team, we will never know.
Have those guys you mentioned been GM's? The point is you want guys who have a feel for the game and prior experience building rosters in some facet because that's what GM's do. Scouting, player personnel, or guys who have been former players are highly desirable because they have that feel for the game that isnt taught at Harvard, or by trading stocks, or analyzing why a strong wind might alter a quarterbacks throw (analytics). Smart guy, does not equal smart GM and I think that's what we have in Kwesi who was a completely outside the box hire with extremely limited experience. It would be like hiring Elon Musk to run your football team. Smart guy, very successful, but does he know anything about building a football roster? No

The thing with smart guys is, they eventually figure it out. Usually sooner rather than later. 

Quote: @"1VikesFan" said:
https://twitter.com/spielman_rick/status...sYEXcy_0Aw&s=19
Certainly better than squatting with your spurs on

Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
The thing with smart guys is, they eventually figure it out. Usually sooner rather than later. 
That's not a risk I would have taken, but unfortunately that's the ride we are on..

Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
 only the truly smart ones do,  the ones that only think they are smart typically dont see that they are on a wrong path until they are on the unemployment line,  which seems to happen quite often in pro sports.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:
 only the truly smart ones do,  the ones that only think they are smart typically dont see that they are on a wrong path until they are on the unemployment line,  which seems to happen quite often in pro sports.
Guess we'll find if Kwesi truly smart or just thinks he's smart. Time will tell and at this time none of us really know what Kwesi and KOC have planned.