Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikes wanted Bryce Young
I’m glad the Vikings liked Young I guess, but so did almost every other team?

If the Vikings are serious about wanting the #1 prospect in the draft, then winning 13 games isn’t the way to go about it. Not saying that’s a bad thing at all— winning is great— but having our cake and getting to eat it too seems unlikely.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
I’m glad the Vikings liked Young I guess, but so did almost every other team?

If the Vikings are serious about wanting the #1 prospect in the draft, then winning 13 games isn’t the way to go about it. Not saying that’s a bad thing at all— winning is great— but having our cake and getting to eat it too seems unlikely.
they dont have to tank a season,  but they could start making some moves for the future that would make it easier to make the move up on draft day when they do decide who they want to take a shot with.  keeping aging veterans until they are over paid and no longer in demand is not working,  they need to face the reality of the roster they have and be moving players while they still have value,  but will likely be past their prime in the next year or two.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
I think everyone's missing the point here. The point is that the Vikings wanted Bryce Young and only Bryce Young. And not Anthony Richardson who was the rumored target. 

And yes, of course it was possible the Panthers took another guy. 
Yeah, I get that but at the same time, that doesn't mean they were/are right about Richardson. Or Stroud. I think Young was everyone's consensus #1 QB prospect. Moving up from #23 to say #2 if Carolina passed was a pipe dream anyway. IMO, its just a garbage sports story. 

It could be a false report.  TCO p.r. to sooth fans upset that they didn't take Levis.  "Oh we only wanted the very best, dear fans".   Nevermind his large bust potential lol.  Makes more sense than leaking out implausible trade concepts 2 weeks after the draft.

I knew Young was the best when he SHREDDED UGA's top ranked D 2 yrs ago. 
Man, the talent on the field in this game. 
https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcQdcvu6YfQ

Quote: @comet52 said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
I think everyone's missing the point here. The point is that the Vikings wanted Bryce Young and only Bryce Young. And not Anthony Richardson who was the rumored target. 

Yeah, I get that but at the same time, that doesn't mean they were/are right about Richardson. Or Stroud. I think Young was everyone's consensus #1 QB prospect. Moving up from #23 to say #2 if Carolina passed was a pipe dream anyway. IMO, its just a garbage sports story. 

It could be a false report.  TCO p.r. to sooth fans upset that they didn't take Levis.  "Oh we only wanted the very best, dear fans".   Nevermind his large bust potential lol.  Makes more sense than leaking out implausible trade concepts 2 weeks after the draft.
Maybe but if Levis is a good/great pro than fans will and should be annoyed, regardless. 

I’m guessing the whole thing was subterfuge (from the
pre-draft reports to this one).  I feel
like there was way too much smoke out there for it to have been an organic
leak.  Somebody was pushing for it to be
out there.  I think this is just a way of
saying, “Hey we tried to get a QB” in a way that no one can really fact check
nor is likely to blow up in their face. 
They can pretend that they were really invested in the process of
getting a top QB, but it just didn’t work out, and they can fall back on their
still really good QB.

That said, this seems kind of worthless reporting to me.  It was far too unrealistic for them to
actually trade up to 3ish and also depending on their only preferred player dropping
(which often is also at the top of other teams boards).  I think they were more likely targeting whatever
they could reach by giving up the 2024 first and a day 2-3 pick, if one of the
top tier QBs fell, and if that didn’t work out you try to sooth the unhappy fans
who wanted to move on (regardless of how unrealistic it was).

Getting a QB while also being in the 2nd half of
the draft is always going to depend on some luck of players dropping, and that’s
ok, but this is just weird marketing.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@comet52 said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:

Maybe but if Levis is a good/great pro than fans will and should be annoyed, regardless. 
You can’t eat bananas whole and be a good quarterback in the NFL don’t you know that

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
Let's do this all again next year as Kirko will have presumably not been resigned & sports media will be linking the Vikes to all the hot QB draft prospects.

If we trade D. Cook then we can take that pick along with our pick which could be around 15-20 and move up for once.

Quote: @FLVike said:
@Knucklehead said:
Let's do this all again next year as Kirko will have presumably not been resigned & sports media will be linking the Vikes to all the hot QB draft prospects.

If we trade D. Cook then we can take that pick along with our pick which could be around 15-20 and move up for once.
you arent going to get shit for Cook,  late day 2 at best most likely day 3.  If you want draft capital you need to be willing to move pieces that are more in demand,  Hunter is likely our best trade bait at this point without going into the OL or WR rooms. ( of course there is always that one guy,  but heads explode when you mention trading him,  and he is already on the last year of his contract which would make any compensation lower as he would have to agree to a new contract with who ever he would accept a trade to. )

What if Malik Willis could be part of a deal for Cook, would that make a day 2 or 3 pick look better.  With Tannehill and Levis on board have heard some speculation that Willis may be available.