Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikes wanted Bryce Young
...or so it sounds, according to Pelissero. If this is true, I think it's good news for a few reasons: It wasn't for CJ Stroud (bullet dodged IMO); they weren't swayed by Richardson's HWS (too boom or bust); they value character very highly; and they won't hesitate to move up big and get their guy next year. 

https://twitter.com/vikesinsider/status/...99522?s=20

I would love to know what they were prepared to give up to go that high.

How bad could their intel be after the Panthers spent a boatload to move up to #1 a few weeks before the draft and pretty much telegraphed their intent to take him?  "Oh they don't really mean it, let's make some calls!"

I thought the media river of pure b.s. about what the Vikings would do in the draft would cease flowing once the draft took place, but apparently that cow can be milked even after it's left the barn.

I think this is majorly overblown. They weren't moving up to the top 2 or 3 pick to get him. No way. If he fell a bit more, then maybe. But I'm sure a ton of other teams 'liked' him as well. 

Is there anyone involved in the draft or the NFL that didn't know the Panthers were taking Young?  I don't see any way this could be true and if it was it would be extremely worrisome that Kwesi was that clueless.

Let's do this all again next year as Kirko will have presumably not been resigned & sports media will be linking the Vikes to all the hot QB draft prospects.

I think everyone's missing the point here. The point is that the Vikings wanted Bryce Young and only Bryce Young. And not Anthony Richardson who was the rumored target. 

And yes, of course it was possible the Panthers took another guy. 

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
Let's do this all again next year as Kirko will have presumably not been resigned & sports media will be linking the Vikes to all the hot QB draft prospects.
Vikes will be linked to all the hot QB prospects until they find one, whether they extend Kirk or not. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think everyone's missing the point here. The point is that the Vikings wanted Bryce Young and only Bryce Young. And not Anthony Richardson who was the rumored target. 

Yeah, I get that but at the same time, that doesn't mean they were/are right about Richardson. Or Stroud. I think Young was everyone's consensus #1 QB prospect. Moving up from #23 to say #2 if Carolina passed was a pipe dream anyway. IMO, its just a garbage sports story. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:

Yeah, I get that but at the same time, that doesn't mean they were/are right about Richardson. Or Stroud. I think Young was everyone's consensus #1 QB prospect. Moving up from #23 to say #2 if Carolina passed was a pipe dream anyway. IMO, its just a garbage sports story. 

I think it's possible they knew Houston was all in on Stroud. And if the Panthers took Richardson, which was rumored late, the Vikings could trade up with the Cards at #3, who they knew wanted to trade down, and actually did. 

No, of course it's not a major story. Just some behind the scenes draft intel. But for folks like me who follow the draft, and the Vikings, it's fascinating. And for someone who's also moderately convinced that both Richardson and Stroud will be busts, more than just a little bit encouraging.