guru is looking to pivot from said QB after he’s made just 4 starts. And
largely based on 5 starts from another young QB.  A QB likely to miss most
of, if not the entire season.

A combined cap of just over $15 million for the 3 QB's
currently on the roster. So, it’s not a money issue. The team was so worried
about Lance that they gave serious thought to hiring the QB guru they sent him
to both off-season's. Who had no NFL coaching experience, as their QB
coach.  Windows to win in the NFL are increasingly small and SF is built
to win. Rolling into 2023 with Sam Darnold as the guy taking most of the snaps.
God knows who as the backup. While gambling the season on a QB with 5 starts
coming off a major injury to maintain their level of play last year,
 doesn't reek of win now. 
That's why a trade would make sense for the 49ers because there is that window which they are currently in. Lance is still only 22 and doesn't have a ton of playing time to gauge things off of. Kirk Cousins and his history with Shannahan would make a ton of sense and gives them a steady veteran to work with to try to capitalize on this window of opportunity. Like I said, I wouldn't take their interest in Cousins as a slight against Lance. Sometimes things are just about timing, and I think that would be the case in any trade 

Sunk cost. That is what you call the draft capital that SF gave up to draft Trey Lance. It really should not enter into consideration when considering trade offers for Lance. The only consideration is whether your team is better off with Trey lance or with whatever is being offered in a trade.

If SF values Lance as much as it values the 85th pick in the draft and it rejects the best trade offer by, say, Indy of pick # 80, then instead of making only one mistake (overpaying for Lance), it has made two (refusing to trade him for more than you think he is worth).

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@comet52 said:
B.S.  The team is fueling the rumors and hoping some fool g.m. will take the bait and get them out from under the pile of manure they created by spending huge draft capital on a bust.
I actually think some teams could be asking, but that doesn't mean they are interested beyond compensation they are comfortable with. I'm not even sure what the 49ers would get. I think NFL GMs do a lot more exploratory discussions about players with other GMs than most fans realize, but most does not come to fruition. 
I doubt any comp they could get back would outweigh the value of just keeping him as backup insurance in case Purdy's arm doesn't work or Darnold stinks like he always does.

But I could see why they'd ask us about Kirko (not us asking them about Lance--silly).  They have a great squad on both sides of the ball but their quarterback room is Larry, Curly and Moe at this point.

Quote: @dadevike said:
Sunk cost. That is what you call the draft capital that SF gave up to draft Trey Lance. It really should not enter into consideration when considering trade offers for Lance. The only consideration is whether your team is better off with Trey lance or with whatever is being offered in a trade.

If SF values Lance as much as it values the 85th pick in the draft and it rejects the best trade offer by, say, Indy of pick # 80, then instead of making only one mistake (overpaying for Lance), it has made two (refusing to trade him for more than you think he is worth).
I agree with what you're saying. The caveat in these types of cases is whether the GM is willing to humble himself as making a mistake and moving on. 

Quote: @PurplePastor said:
@dadevike said:

I agree with what you're saying. The caveat in these types of cases is whether the GM is willing to humble himself as making a mistake and moving on. 
That's not even an issue. Lynch has already come out and said Purdy should be their starter and he's earned that right. The Purdy factor makes it much easier for them to move off Lance in a trade. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@PurplePastor said:
@dadevike said:

That's not even an issue. Lynch has already come out and said Purdy should be their starter and he's earned that right. The Purdy factor makes it much easier for them to move off Lance in a trade. 
You greatly underestimate the power of ego. Lynch can start Purdy and keep Lance which saves his ego from having to admit a monstrous mismanagement in draft capital. Again QB position is costing them nothing. Trading him for what will be pennies on the dollar will be admitting that mismanagement of draft capital.

If he gets something good in return that is a different story, but that isn't happening. I know you're giddy about a possible KC trade but it isn't happening. Fun to talk about but nowhere near the realm of reality. That trade would be a really good way to tell Jefferson you might as well start eye balling what NFL city you want to call your next home. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/...cing-again

A lot of moving pieces, but this is the best breakdown on a potential trade that I've read 
Every single one of these reports is about Lance. "The 49ers have received inquiries from several teams looking into a potential trade for Lance...." "...Vikings and 49ers discussed Lance at the NFL scouting combine this year, per a league source...."

Why? Because it makes perfect sense. If the Vikings don't land their understudy in the draft, it makes sense for them to know what it would cost to acquire a young QB like Lance. Who's never been mentioned in any of these? Kirk Cousins. He's not part of the whispers heard by Florio and Rapoport. He's only filled in later by people making assumptions. Just something to keep in mind. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/...cing-again

A lot of moving pieces, but this is the best breakdown on a potential trade that I've read 
Every single one of these reports is about Lance. "The 49ers have received inquiries from several teams looking into a potential trade for Lance...." "...Vikings and 49ers discussed Lance at the NFL scouting combine this year, per a league source...."

Why? Because it makes perfect sense. If the Vikings don't land their understudy in the draft, it makes sense for them to know what it would cost to acquire a young QB like Lance. Who's never been mentioned in any of these? Kirk Cousins. He's not part of the whispers heard by Florio and Rapoport. He's only filled in later by people making assumptions. Just something to keep in mind. 
Not true because it was originally reported in March by Florio that the 49ers hit the Vikings up at the Combine inquiring about Kirk Cousins availability. This is the first we've heard the Vikings inquired about Lance at that same time. 

Again trading Lance only makes sense for the 49ers if they can get a QB they like as part of the return. Draft picks do nothing for them as an otherwise already Super Bowl ready roster  

Quote: @bigbone62 said:
@supafreak84 said:
@PurplePastor said:
@dadevike said:

You greatly underestimate the power of ego. Lynch can start Purdy and keep Lance which saves his ego from having to admit a monstrous mismanagement in draft capital. Again QB position is costing them nothing. Trading him for what will be pennies on the dollar will be admitting that mismanagement of draft capital.

If he gets something good in return that is a different story, but that isn't happening. I know you're giddy about a possible KC trade but it isn't happening. Fun to talk about but nowhere near the realm of reality. That trade would be a really good way to tell Jefferson you might as well start eye balling what NFL city you want to call your next home. 
I'm tired of hearing the "well, if we move on from Kirk, Jefferson is going to cry about it and leave in free agency" argument. There has been nothing to indicate any of that. Kirk is going to be 35...you think he is going to play forever or play at this level forever? The answer is no, and that page at QB is going to be turned sooner rather than later, and I'd imagine even Jefferson understands that.

@bigbone62 said:
@supafreak84 said:
@PurplePastor said:
@dadevike said:

I'm tired of hearing the "well, if we move on from Kirk, Jefferson is going to cry about it and leave in free agency" argument. There has been nothing to indicate any of that. Kirk is going to be 35...you think he is going to play forever or play at this level forever? The answer is no, and that page at QB is going to be turned sooner rather than later, and I'd imagine even Jefferson understands that.
You seem to not understand what people are saying. I don't think anyone has ever said Jefferson would be unhappy with moving on from Kirk. When people point this out it's because the proposed replacement tends to reek of getting rid of of KC just to get rid of him. And the suggested replacement isn't much to get excited about. Be it a fan or player perspective. 

Beyond that do you really think star WRs in the league don't talk? Lol, I can see it now. "Sup Deebo, heard we may be swapping QBs. You and George are gonna feast with Kirko. Look at what Hock and I put up. What's it like playing with Lance?" Deebo chuckles to himself and types "nice kid". Deebo exits text chain...

But you're right. I'm sure Jefferson would be thrilled to dump the guy whose thrown him the ball to historic WR numbers. For a guy with 4 career starts whose teams dumps him two years after burning 3 first round picks. No red flags there at all.