Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest Surprise of the Offseason So Far
Quote: @TBro said:
I put Mattison because I was willing to roll with Chandler, Kene, and whatever Rookie we draft. My hope was adding someone like Deuce Vaughn who would give us a dynamic playmaker out of the backfield. We will see what happens with Mattison this year if we move on from Cook, but I'm not convinced his running style is as good a fit for our Blocking Scheme as Chandler's is. 
With so few picks this year, I hate like hell to use one on a tail-back.  I cant shake connecting the dots; that AM's signing means Cook is on his way out. It could be one whopper of a tell. 

I went with letting Shelley leave.  CB was a black hole at the beginning of FA and still a need even with the Murphy signing and he would have been cheap.  Signing him seemed like a no-brainer.

Mattison is #2, followed by Dalvin and Z still being here.

Quote: @RS Express said:
I went with letting Shelley leave.  CB was a black hole at the beginning of FA and still a need even with the Murphy signing and he would have been cheap.  Signing him seemed like a no-brainer.

I think Dalvin's surgery threw a wrench into the offseason plan.  Absent the surgery (and his current inability to pass a physical), I think Dalvin would have been traded already (and then the Mattison signing would not have been such a surprise).

To me the extension of CJ and the signing of Oliver were very surprising and illuminating as those moves seem like a change in offensive philosophy.  Really interesting.

As for Z, this is pure speculation, but I am guessing he will be part of a package to bring Trey Lance to the Viking for a year of seasoning behind Cousins.  49ers need to make salary cap room. 

Hiring Flores by a mile

I think what happens in the Draft might be the most surprising.....

Shelley tops the list for me. Seemed a no brainer to me. I mean I'm still shaking my head over that one. What's not on the list and would probably rank highly is the Murphy signing. I'm surprised they actually went after one of the top free agents. 

Flores tops the list for most impactful move, but it wasn't necessarily surprising. 

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@RS Express said:

I think Dalvin's surgery threw a wrench into the offseason plan.  Absent the surgery (and his current inability to pass a physical), I think Dalvin would have been traded already (and then the Mattison signing would not have been such a surprise).

To me the extension of CJ and the signing of Oliver were very surprising and illuminating as those moves seem like a change in offensive philosophy.  Really interesting.

As for Z, this is pure speculation, but I am guessing he will be part of a package to bring Trey Lance to the Viking for a year of seasoning behind Cousins.  49ers need to make salary cap room. 
Yup, those were mine as well...I dont expect KOC to go run heavy ala Zimmer - but it makes you wonder if they are going to try and be more balanced this season?

And certainly in future years with a lesser experienced qb?

Quote: @RS Express said:

It would not surprise me if Camryn Bynum moves back to CB, his college position.  Maybe as slot corner.

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
Went with Mattison although not signing Shelley was a close 2nd for me.
I flipped this - Shelley first.  guy is a baller, I dont know WTF the FO thinking
yeah, then Mattison

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
@1VikesFan said:
Went with Mattison although not signing Shelley was a close 2nd for me.
I flipped this - Shelley first.  guy is a baller, I dont know WTF the FO thinking
yeah, then Mattison
Maybe he didnt want to be here? I forget how much $ diff there was between the Raiders and Vikings offers.