Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting draft stat
Quote: @"1VikesFan" said:
He was as much to blame for the disfunction within the team as Zimmer. If Zimmer was the culprit,  Spielman should have fired him and brought in a coach that could communicate and work better with players. He didn't and it was his downfall.
This,  this is the primary reason I wanted spielman gone,  he waited to long to get rid of Zim.  You could see several years ago that things were starting to slide and Coach My Way wasn't about to make any changes to adapt so he had to go.  Rick is gone because he failed to do an important part of his job,  and the fact that 2 years later and he still isn't a GM despite a lot of openings,  ( has he even been mentioned or interviewed for any openings) say a lot about how bad things actually were.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"1VikesFan" said:
He was as much to blame for the disfunction within the team as Zimmer. If Zimmer was the culprit,  Spielman should have fired him and brought in a coach that could communicate and work better with players. He didn't and it was his downfall.
This,  this is the primary reason I wanted spielman gone,  he waited to long to get rid of Zim.  You could see several years ago that things were starting to slide and Coach My Way wasn't about to make any changes to adapt so he had to go.  Rick is gone because he failed to do an important part of his job,  and the fact that 2 years later and he still isn't a GM despite a lot of openings,  ( has he even been mentioned or interviewed for any openings) say a lot about how bad things actually were.
Outside of Bill Polian, how many GM's do you see land jobs immediately after being dismissed? Doesn't happen. Rick will do like he did when he left the Dolphins, do the analyst thing for a few years then hopefully land another front office gig if he wants it. 

And don't get me wrong, I've been highly critical of Rick in the past as well, but his overall body of work is really good and I don't think he deserved to be fired. He did his job of supplying the roster with enough talent to make a run. His last two selections of Jefferson, arguably the best player in the game, and Darrisaw, the best young tackle in the game, is outstanding. That's called going out on a high note 

So how does this stat.relate to victories. TB is the only SB winner in the top 10 and that wasn't with a QB they drafted.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"1VikesFan" said:

A smart  savvy owner would've seen 2021 comin' and made appropriate moves to avoid it.

IMO if JJ leaves in 2 years , 2021, and how it went down will be big  part of his decision

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
And we fired Spielman why again? 
VO is right. Rick is gone for one reason and one reason only. He and his coach were not speaking. What are they, 14 year old girls? If you're the leader and you allow that to happen, and impact the team, you're as much to blame as the other guy. More actually. 

Quote: @"BigAl99" said:
So how does this stat.relate to victories. TB is the only SB winner in the top 10 and that wasn't with a QB they drafted.
It doesn't necessarily. Super Bowl winners aren't always the most talented teams in the NFL. But even that's not the whole story.  I think it just means you drafted well and you didn't rely as much on free agents as other teams. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
VO is right. Rick is gone for one reason and one reason only. He and his coach were not speaking. What are they, 14 year old girls? If you're the leader and you allow that to happen, and impact the team, you're as much to blame as the other guy. More actually. 
I would have bet the farm RS was staying and Zimsu would be shown the door. I was floored when they were both let go; and floored again when the curtain lifted on what was really going on out in Eagan.

That should never have been allowed to happen - probably going on for 2-3 years. How many times did we post during that time, things aren't right out there?

edit - and looking back again? I'll bet that really was almost fisticuffs between Zimmer and Cousins on the sideline that day...

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
Zimmer became increasingly more difficult to deal with as time went on and I think that relationship started to sour over the decision to bring Cousins in. I think it's pretty well-known Zimmer was not in favor of allocating that kind of money to Cousins, who received a record contract in guaranteed money at the time. I also don't know that Rick would have been justified or even had the power to fire Zimmer before the 2021 season as Zimmer had been highly successful and I don't believe that would have been something the Wilfs would have signed off on. At the end of the day Spielman did his job in supplying the roster with talent to win games. The fact that those games were not won and relationships within the team soured between the players coaching staff, was Zimmer's fault. I've said this numerous times before, but the Wilfs are not football people, they are relocated Giants fans with a shit ton of money and I don't believe they make the best decisions when it comes to the hiring and firing of people. 

Quote: @"BigAl99" said:
Consistency? Not having constant roster turnover, not having to alter schemes to fit free agents. Less reliance on over spending for free agents. 6 of the 10 teams are in the top 10 for win percentage during that 5 year stretch.