Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting draft stat
Vikings rank high despite little contribution from last year's class. No surprise who ranks last...and by a mile. 

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...96352?s=20

That number is going to go down without EK and maybe Thielen?  (not sure if he counts?)  Hopefully we can backfill the roster with some great picks in the later round this year.

And we fired Spielman why again? 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
Lack of quality "snaps" from a drafted QB, maybe? B)

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
That's fair, but then you also have to give him credit for landing Cousins in free agency. He missed on Ponder, and we don't know how Bridgewater might have been if he hadn't blown up his leg. Outside of that we were never in position to draft an elite quarterback prospect which is a credit to his building of the roster. Rick gets a bad rap because of the QB misses and acquiring late round picks, but overall the guy did his job of supplying the coaching staff with talent. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
That's fair, but then you also have to give him credit for landing Cousins in free agency. He missed on Ponder, and we don't know how Bridgewater might have been if he hadn't blown up his leg. Outside of that we were never in position to draft an elite quarterback prospect which is a credit to his building of the roster. Rick gets a bad rap because of the QB misses and acquiring late round picks, but overall the guy did his job of supplying the coaching staff with talent. 
I guess I don't miss Spielman one bit.  He had good drafts, but also his share of whiffs and nonsense draft day trades.  I'm glad they moved on from him and Zim.  The team was declining and a change was clearly needed.

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
I guess I don't miss Spielman one bit.  He had good drafts, but also his share of whiffs and nonsense draft day trades.  I'm glad they moved on from him and Zim.  The team was declining and a change was clearly needed.
His last two drafts yielded Jefferson and Darrisaw. Every key contributer on this roster was drafted or acquired by Rick Spielman. He of course had misses, but everyone does as outlined above. As last year showed, it wasn't a talent issue on the team, it was the fact that the players stopped playing for Zimmer and tuned him out over a number of different issues. I miss Rick more every day with almost every move I see Adolfo-Mensah make. 

I have been a Spielman supporter but once I learned about the total disfunction between the front office and Zimmer, he had to go (and Zimmer had to go).  You just can't have that disfunction at the top of the organization.

He was as much to blame for the disfunction within the team as Zimmer. If Zimmer was the culprit,  Spielman should have fired him and brought in a coach that could communicate and work better with players. He didn't and it was his downfall.

Quote: @"1VikesFan" said:
He was as much to blame for the disfunction within the team as Zimmer. If Zimmer was the culprit,  Spielman should have fired him and brought in a coach that could communicate and work better with players. He didn't and it was his downfall.
How? Zimmer was a highly successful coach before the weird covid year of 2020 and then the 2021 season where we lost all those games on last drives. Spielman never had the opportunity to make a coaching change as he was relieved of his duties the same day Zimmer was. I'm sure he would have made a coaching change if given the opportunity. And again, my faith in the Wilfs as football men who know what the hell they are doing is next to none. I think they fucked up and should have just made the coaching change