Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN: Vikings in play for Lamar Jackson
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@TBro said:
I would rather take a chance and draft Hooker at 23, or see if we can work a trade down in the First to keep his 5th year option while he learns under Cousins. Both are coming off of major Knee injuries. The fact that the Ravens didn't put the exclusive Tag on him speaks volumes. Cousins durability and being able to walk away from his contract after this season is a smarter play vs. the Truckload of Money Jackson will command and parting with 2 first round picks. I'm not sure how creative we can be with a $28.5 Million Dead Cap Hit in 2024 if we decided to part ways with Kirk so that may limit what we decide to do. Jackson already turned down a fully guaranteed 3 year $133 million deal. For a guy with a 1-3 playoff record, I'm not investing $45-$50 Million per year in Jackson. 
in fairness,  I read that he didnt turn down a fully guaranteed deal,  the 3 years 133 was part of a 5 year deal,  only 3 of it was guaranteed.
Yes, there was some definite confusion on what he was offered and turned down. Still, if he is expecting in the $45-$50 Million per year range I think a lot of teams are going to immediately think of Russel Wilson and Kyler Murray who both have Cap hits that jump to over $50 Million in 2024. If you are Kwesi, would you give up 2 first round picks and be willing to sign Jackson to a $50 Million per year deal? How about the $230 Million Watson is guaranteed? I guess I'm having a tough time with these new QB salary benchmarks being established. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@TBro said:
I would rather take a chance and draft Hooker at 23, or see if we can work a trade down in the First to keep his 5th year option while he learns under Cousins. Both are coming off of major Knee injuries. The fact that the Ravens didn't put the exclusive Tag on him speaks volumes. Cousins durability and being able to walk away from his contract after this season is a smarter play vs. the Truckload of Money Jackson will command and parting with 2 first round picks. I'm not sure how creative we can be with a $28.5 Million Dead Cap Hit in 2024 if we decided to part ways with Kirk so that may limit what we decide to do. Jackson already turned down a fully guaranteed 3 year $133 million deal. For a guy with a 1-3 playoff record, I'm not investing $45-$50 Million per year in Jackson. 
in fairness,  I read that he didnt turn down a fully guaranteed deal,  the 3 years 133 was part of a 5 year deal,  only 3 of it was guaranteed.
Yes, there was some definite confusion on what he was offered and turned down. Still, if he is expecting in the $45-$50 Million per year range I think a lot of teams are going to immediately think of Russel Wilson and Kyler Murray who both have Cap hits that jump to over $50 Million in 2024. If you are Kwesi, would you give up 2 first round picks and be willing to sign Jackson to a $50 Million per year deal? How about the $230 Million Watson is guaranteed? I guess I'm having a tough time with these new QB salary benchmarks being established. 
Oh,  I totally agree.  Unless the cap goes up to about 300 milllion,  or even higher,  there is no way to be able to pay these QBs and still have quality around them,  and historically there are so few QBs that are even worth that level of cap % that paying those that are less than elite anywhere near that kind of coin only makes the task of assembling and maintaining a quality roster that much more difficult.

Lamar Jackson - the juice ain't worth the squeeze IMHO.  I am somewhat with you TBro...I also like Hooker at 23, and put him behind Cousins for a year.  You bring up a good point, that being Cousins' rather unspoken durability.  Be careful what you wish for...

@TBro said:
Quote:

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
Lamar Jackson - the juice ain't worth the squeeze IMHO.  I am somewhat with you TBro...I also like Hooker at 23, and put him behind Cousins for a year.  You bring up a good point, that being Cousins' rather unspoken durability.  Be careful what you wish for...

@TBro said:

Yeah, hard pass here.  I have a feeling his best years are already behind him, even with his young age.

Can he guarantee he will play a full season? No. Then why should he have a guaranteed contract. 
The fools that might do this deal already did it; the Browns! He's not going to get what he wants. 
Fun to think about, but I hope the Vikings aren't that foolish.

Granted, I haven't watched a bunch, but he seemed to lack the passing skills of other elite QBs. Then again, did he ever have much to throw to?

I would not be opposed to this. 

If you take a QB in the 1st round, you have a 17% chance of hitting (think Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Lawrence). You have a 52% chance of drafting a flat out bust (think Haskins, Rosen, Trubisky, Wentz, Mariota). The remainder of them (31%) are either too young (Fields, Lance), or they’re QBs who do enough good things to stop you from replacing them, but they have fundamental problems that keep them out of that first group (think Tannehill, Murray, Tua, the Joneses). 

You want a chair at that craps table? No thanks. I think any time if you have a chance to get a proven veteran, go get him, no matter the cost. Just like it was smart to bring in Favre, Manning, Brady, Cousins, Stafford, Wilson, etc. it would be smart to bring in Jackson. 

Lamar is absolutely worth the two first round picks. It would be very tricky to pull off though.
No team with an existing QB on the roster worth any kind of hoot is going to want to offer Lamar a contract and then wait 5 days for Baltimore to match or not match the offer. Those 5 days would be agony for fans and the FO, Kirk would probably demand a trade regardless of the outcome, and if Baltimore matches you run the risk of winding up with only Mullens... not good.
So it would likely have to be via a trade with Baltimore directly. They know this and that price of two first round picks probably just went up. If Baltimore doesn't want Kirk back in return then you also need a landing spot for him in place, in conjunction with the Lamar deal.
To quote a line from The Godfather: Difficult. Not impossible.

It will cost 2 first round picks;
Plus $45-$50M per year fully guaranteed for multiple years;
And the Vikings have a lot of dead cap coming when Cousins leaves;
And JJ and Darrisaw still need to be extended at huge numbers;
And Cousins has a no-trade clause and can kill this deal unilaterally; so ...
This pipe dream is not going to happen.

Quote: @dadevike said:
It will cost 2 first round picks;
Plus $45-$50M per year fully guaranteed for multiple years;
And the Vikings have a lot of dead cap coming when Cousins leaves;
And JJ and Darrisaw still need to be extended at huge numbers;
And Cousins has a no-trade clause and can kill this deal unilaterally; so ...
This pipe dream is not going to happen.
I wouldn't worry about the cap or JJ's contract or Darrisaw's. Even if we extend JJ this offseason, his cap acceleration is at least two years away. And Darrisaw's is probably 3 or 4 years away. 

Yes, Jackson is unlikely, but I like the thinking (if'n that's indeed what they're thinking. It's probably just internet bullshit). The bigger question for me is probably this: Is Jackson THAT much of an upgrade over Cousins to spend the draft capital to get him?