Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lego Vikings Village
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
LOL,   I looked at your link and saw the picture and the price and went,  wow thats quite a bargain... then I read that it was $60 just for the instructions,  that the actual blocks are about $1200,   so I'm guessing you dont build a bunch of them and then do recreated battles with live rounds?
I flushed Yamomoto down the crapper!!

No I’ll have probably $750ish into it. I get a ton of parts from thrift stores etc. It helps draw down costs some. I’ve got an absolute ton into my storage department though. 
The Midway movie is one of my all time favorites.
70's version, right? Not the crap remake?

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
LOL,   I looked at your link and saw the picture and the price and went,  wow thats quite a bargain... then I read that it was $60 just for the instructions,  that the actual blocks are about $1200,   so I'm guessing you dont build a bunch of them and then do recreated battles with live rounds?

No I’ll have probably $750ish into it. I get a ton of parts from thrift stores etc. It helps draw down costs some. I’ve got an absolute ton into my storage department though. 
oh most definitely.  if it isnt poncharello scratching his bean,  then it isnt Midway.  just way to many iconic roles from the original.  I do like that they remade the movie so that a newer generation is made aware of the battle,  but it still doesnt hit like the original.

My Grandpa was a part of Merrill's Marauders, i have seen some documentaries and the movie,  but I would like to see a remake of their contribution,  would be great if they would have done it before all the original surviving members were still alive,  very few actually survived the campaign,  last I checked there were only 1 or 2 still alive.  There are so many stories that need to be retold so future generations get a better perspective on what was sacrificed to give us the freedoms so many take for granted today.... the truth is the best script for those stories,  no need to hollywood all the shit out of them,  but tell the whole truth,  even the part that people dont want to see or know about because it would offend or whatever.  

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

oh most definitely.  if it isnt poncharello scratching his bean,  then it isnt Midway.  just way to many iconic roles from the original.  I do like that they remade the movie so that a newer generation is made aware of the battle,  but it still doesnt hit like the original.

My Grandpa was a part of Merrill's Marauders, i have seen some documentaries and the movie,  but I would like to see a remake of their contribution,  would be great if they would have done it before all the original surviving members were still alive,  very few actually survived the campaign,  last I checked there were only 1 or 2 still alive.  There are so many stories that need to be retold so future generations get a better perspective on what was sacrificed to give us the freedoms so many take for granted today.... the truth is the best script for those stories,  no need to hollywood all the shit out of them,  but tell the whole truth,  even the part that people dont want to see or know about because it would offend or whatever.  
Saw Midway in the theater when I was 12. Front row seats opposite speakers the size of Volkswagens. The new thing: SENSURROUND! I couldn't hear for a week.

But yeah, I love that movie. Not so much because it was great cinema...the acting by Charlton Heston's "son" is almost unwatchable. But love the history and how it's told with real footage. 4 carriers sunk. Japan never recovered. What's mind blowing to me is that this was literally 6 months after Pearl Harbor and was considered the turning point in the Pacific theater. 6 months! So they kicked our ass for 6 months, then for the next 40 we kicked theirs. 

We always would have won though. There was just no way they could've kept up with our industrial advantage. I was just at Pearl Harbor last summer and talked to one of the historians. At the start of WWII, Japan had the largest navy in the world. 11 carriers to our 7. By 1945, they had 4 left. We had 29.

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

Saw Midway in the theater when I was 12. Front row seats opposite speakers the size of Volkswagens. The new thing: SENSURROUND! I couldn't hear for a week.

But yeah, I love that movie. Not so much because it was great cinema...the acting by Charlton Heston's "son" is almost unwatchable. But love the history and how it's told with real footage. 4 carriers sunk. Japan never recovered. What's mind blowing to me is that this was literally 6 months after Pearl Harbor and was considered the turning point in the Pacific theater. 6 months! So they kicked our ass for 6 months, then for the next 40 we kicked theirs. 

We always would have won though. There was just no way they could've kept up with our industrial advantage. I was just at Pearl Harbor last summer and talked to one of the historians. At the start of WWII, Japan had the largest navy in the world. 11 carriers to our 7. By 1945, they had 4 left. We had 29.
WOW!!!, I would have never guess you were that old,  granted its been a while since I saw you last, but I would have never guessed you were so much older than me. =)

yes some of the acting was horrific,  but hey,  not everything can measure up to Smokey and the Bandit.  but you nailed it for me as well,  granted this was a naval battle, but the real footage puts me in the time that my Grandfather was just in his late teens, and to see others his age fighting and dying for our country.... it even leaves me without words.

I agree on the ultimate result,  IMO Japan was counting on our focus on the European theatre and grossly underestimated the amount of resources and our ability to convert them into a war machine.   Same reason that we won our independence from the British, we were underestimated as a people.  I still marvel at how much of a baby our country still is compared to European and Asian countries,  seriously we are really still just toddlers compared to some of those other countries.

Those Japanese carriers of that era cracked me up though,  always made me think of a floating parking garage.

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

WOW!!!, I would have never guess you were that old,  granted its been a while since I saw you last, but I would have never guessed you were so much older than me. =)

[Image: giphy.gif]

@"AGRforever" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

Yamomoto? Or Yamato? 
I promise you. Ive never been accused of spelling worth a damn. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

Yamomoto? Or Yamato? 
I promise you. Ive never been accused of spelling worth a damn. 
No, I only ask because I always got them confused. One was the leader of the Japanese navy and the other was a battleship.