Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the 49ers and Vikings have serious talks about Cousins?
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:
@MarkSP18 said:
If Kwesi hands him another extension he is tying his career to Cousins.

That did not end well for the last two people running the Vikings.

Whether or not you put even one iota of blame on the QB, the strategy of paying top dollar for a QB did not produce the desired results.

This year was unfathomable with all the late comebacks and one score wins.

Losing the Giants at home was a horrible way to go out and should question the validity of the 13 wins.

The defense is a ways off IMO.  May take two drafts and free agent periods to get it back to being average or above average.

Kwesi has the chance to reset and should do it even if he keeps Cousins.

I am hoping for a bold offseason and not more of the same by running it back.
You realize 31/32 QBs dont get the “desired result” right?  You cant blame NYG on Kirk. He played lights out and did pretty much all year long. 
Cousins performance against the Giants ranked highest among all QBs in the playoffs. A middle-tier defense and we win that game by 14.
Hell, if we even had a bottom 1/3 defense show up during that game we would have won it.

49ers aren't dumb enough to spend a dime on a washed up Ryan.

Cousins performance against the Bills was down right awful.

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
Agreed. He's going to be 38 years old in May. His arm is worse than ever. And the 49ers play the majority of their games outside. 

The NFL offseason is always 'interesting'. Anything goes in the rumor mill. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@mgobluevikes said:
Agreed. He's going to be 38 years old in May. His arm is worse than ever. And the 49ers play the majority of their games outside. 
The 49ers Super Bowl window is now. Ryan needs to retire. Great guy, but he has nothing left to give. They will need a lot better contingency plan at QB and there is no guarantee that Purdy will be able to return to his previous self after UCL surgery which he still hasn't had yet due to inflammation. I don't see Purdy being ready to play before September with his 6 month recovery and that's assuming his Doctor can repair it. If they have to reconstruct it, that will be a 7-9 month recovery.

Trey Lance had a second ankle surgery in January to remove the hardware they installed with the first operation. He is expected to be ready to go for training camp, but I think he is a Paper Tiger. I don't trust him to stay healthy because he hasn't been able to for his first two seasons. 

If I'm Shanahan and Lynch, I'm not feeling very comfortable with the QB situation as it sits today. Unfortunately for them, they gave up a ton of assets to move up and draft Lance and traded away more picks for McCaffrey that they really don't have anything left to acquire someone like Cousins in a Trade. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@MarkSP18 said:

Whether or not you put even one iota of blame on the QB, the strategy of paying top dollar for a QB did not produce the desired results.

Losing the Giants at home was a horrible way to go out and should question the validity of the 13 wins.

The defense is a ways off IMO.  May take two drafts and free agent periods to get it back to being average or above average.

You realize 31/32 QBs dont get the “desired result” right?  You cant blame NYG on Kirk. He played lights out and did pretty much all year long. 
Whataboutism?  I really do not care about any other teams.  Just one.

Of course, my comment would cause some fans of Cousins to take offense like I was taking a shot at him. 

I did not say anything about his play. He played good up until the last play when he inexplicably checked it down with the season on the line.  I think that illustrates who he is more than anything else.

Regardless of that, my comment was about paying top dollar for a QB (any QB) and not getting good enough results.  One playoff win in five years and folks want to continue to invest top dollar at the position.

I think a new strategy should be employed.

My feelings would not change no matter who was playing QB.

I think the sentiment around Vikings fan sites is about 50/50 whether or not to extend him?  

It's funny because some of his most ardent supporters want to do it if the price is right, ie, if he takes less than market rate.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@AGRforever said:
@MarkSP18 said:

Of course, my comment would cause some fans of Cousins to take offense like I was taking a shot at him. 

I did not say anything about his play. He played good up until the last play when he inexplicably checked it down with the season on the line.  I think that illustrates who he is more than anything else.

Regardless of that, my comment was about paying top dollar for a QB (any QB) and not getting good enough results.  One playoff win in five years and folks want to continue to invest top dollar at the position.

I think the sentiment around Vikings fan sites is about 50/50 whether or not to extend him?  

It's funny because some of his most ardent supporters want to do it if the price is right, ie, if he takes less than market rate.
Kirk is not the best QB in the league by a long shot. He doesn't see the field overly well and therefore checks down too much. However, he is an above average QB with a good arm and better accuracy. My problem with your statement above that I bolded is that winning a playoff game isn't solely on the QB. There are 21 other positions playing on that field along with the coaches preparing and coaching. When you have the worst defense, your offense has to play at a level most teams can't sustain. It isn't just the QB. Was KC dumb to check down at the end of the game? Yes. But he didn't lose that game all by himself.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@AGRforever said:
@MarkSP18 said:

I am not a big KC guy,  I have been more than vocal about his short comings,  but I would sign off on an extension for him if his salary was more commensurate with his abilities.  If he took enough of a cut to get better protection for him,  which elevates not only his time in the pocket,  but his comfort factor and ultimately his performance, it would also likely lead to better results from the run game which would yield better results from RBs not making top of the market coin,  again opening more cap space to help improve players and depth on the other side of the ball... which is what needs the most help, and outside of WR,  where our limited draft capital should be focused IMO.

Quote: @TBro said:
@StickyBun said:
@mgobluevikes said:
The 49ers Super Bowl window is now. Ryan needs to retire. Great guy, but he has nothing left to give. They will need a lot better contingency plan at QB and there is no guarantee that Purdy will be able to return to his previous self after UCL surgery which he still hasn't had yet due to inflammation. I don't see Purdy being ready to play before September with his 6 month recovery and that's assuming his Doctor can repair it. If they have to reconstruct it, that will be a 7-9 month recovery.

Trey Lance had a second ankle surgery in January to remove the hardware they installed with the first operation. He is expected to be ready to go for training camp, but I think he is a Paper Tiger. I don't trust him to stay healthy because he hasn't been able to for his first two seasons. 

If I'm Shanahan and Lynch, I'm not feeling very comfortable with the QB situation as it sits today. Unfortunately for them, they gave up a ton of assets to move up and draft Lance and traded away more picks for McCaffrey that they really don't have anything left to acquire someone like Cousins in a Trade. 
The niners have next years first round pick to trade,  along with one of their young prospects, and maybe some day 2 picks this year and next would suffice.  they have 3 3rd round picks this year at the end of the third.  between our existing first round pick,  our own next year,  and the niners next year,  I would think that would give us the ammo to make a pretty good move up if they were enamored with somebody at the top of this years draft.