Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikes hiring Flores
PFF Data Study: Coverage scheme uniqueness for each team and what that means for coaching changes
Between Peyton Manning’s 2015 Denver BroncosPatrick Mahomes’ 2018 Kansas City Chiefsand Aaron Rodgers’ 2020 Green Bay Packers, the NFL has seen no shortage of dominant passing offenses over recent seasons.
Defenses have tried a variety of different coverages and schemes to combat that. The Seattle Seahawks soared to relevancy in the “Legion of Boom” era by playing heavy Cover 3 Zone, while the New England Patriots have found success for over two decades playing man coverages such as Cover 0 and Cover 1
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-data-study-coverage-scheme-uniqueness-for-each-team-and-what-that-means-for-coaching-changes

Vikings hire Brian Flores to be their new defensive coordinatorThe former Dolphins head coach and longtime assistant under Bill Belichick in New England replaces Ed Donatell, who was fired after one season in Minnesota.
The team finalized a deal with the former Dolphins head coach on Monday. Flores, who worked as the Steelers' assistant head coach and linebackers coach in 2022, had emerged as one of the Vikings' top two choices with former Broncos defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero.
The Broncos permitted Evero to talk to other teams on Saturday, and the Panthers hired him as their defensive coordinator on Sunday. On Monday afternoon, the Vikings completed a deal with Flores, a day before he was set to interview with the Broncos for their defensive coordinator opening.
Flores, who turns 42 this month, interviewed with the Vikings on Jan. 26, emerging as a strong candidate after the daylong session in Minnesota. 
Flores had been on the Patriots' staff when Kevin O'Connell played there from 2008-09, and O'Connell had a strong impression of him from their time together in New England. 
In their interviews with four defensive coordinator candidates — Flores, Ryan Nielsen, Sean Desai and Mike Pettine — the Vikings asked for feedback on their 2022 scheme and ideas for what they could change. In Flores, they could get a different flavor of coverage.
https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vikings-hire-brian-flores-defensive-coordinator-ed-donatell/600249575/

Vikings hire Brian Flores as next defensive coordinatorHe is viewed as perfect fit for the Vikings as they revamp their defense.Never mind that it took nearly a month. the end, the Vikings got the guy they wanted all along.

On Monday afternoon, the Vikings officially announced that they have hired Brian Flores as their next defensive coordinator. He spent last season as an assistant coach with the Pittsburgh Steelers and is viewed as perfect fit for the Vikings as they work to revamp their defense.
This is a huge get for head coach Kevin O’Connell and the Vikings, especially after another top candidate, Ejiro Evero, recently accepted a job as defensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers. Though the Vikings had interest in Evero as soon as the Denver Broncos released him from his contract, Flores was always regarded as a frontrunner, as well, after interviewing last month.
The most interesting part about the timing is that Flores reportedly was a finalist to be next head coach of the Arizona Cardinals. He also was set to interview with the Broncos as they search for a new defensive coordinator.

Apparently the Vikings made Flores an offer he couldn’t refuse. He takes over for former defensive coordinator Ed Donatell and is tasked with fixing a group that finished the 2022 season ranked No. 31 in the NFL in total defense.
If his previous stops offer any sort of indication, Flores, who turns 42 this month, will bring an aggressive style of defense to the Vikings. He has proven in the past that he’s not afraid to send pressure, which is something the Vikings didn’t do much of last season with Donatell calling the shots.
Aside from Flores, the Vikings formally interviewed New Orleans Saints assistant coach Ryan Nielsen, Seattle Seahawks assistant coach Sean Desai, and their own assistant coach Mike Pettine during their search for a defensive coordinator. Things didn’t go very far with Nielsen as he quickly accepted a job as next defensive coordinator of the Atlanta Falcons. Not long after that, Desai removed himself from the interview process as he pursued other opportunities.
After starting his coaching career with the New England Patriots, and building his reputation as a four-time Super Bowl champion, Flores became the head coach of the Miami Dolphins. He held that position from 2019-21 before being abruptly fired despite leading the franchise to back-to-back winning seasons. 
https://www.twincities.com/2023/02/06/vikings-set-to-hire-brian-flores-as-next-defensive-coordinator/

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
https://twitter.com/LukeBraunNFL/status/...RdC4H3e71Q&s=19
I think he has to stay two years…but I could certainly be wrong. 

However, all things equal, teams should only hire minoritiy assistants due to the draft compensation. 

They hired the guy I wanted. My guess is they put up some bucks to get him after Evero went elsewhere.
He has some coaching talent. It remains to be seen if Kwesi can provide him with the pieces he needs to turn things around. I'm stoked with this hire. 

Quote: @"JR44" said:
Pretty hypocritical of the organization to get rid of Zimmer and RS cause of relationship issues and then you hire a guy who is the most abusive coach in the league.  Total BS.  
Most abusive coach?  Maybe I missed something, but I was under the impression the reason he was fired was cuz he blew the whistle on the Dolphins FO for tanking (and they were mad he started winning with their shitty roster that year) and didn't get along with Tua? 

Dude can coach and has a fiery personality.  Doubt KOC would hire the guy if he didn't think he was a culture fit.

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
While I think he can get more out of the unit than Donatell, I'm still skeptical from the standpoint that all these New England guys are so incredibly overhyped only to do fizzle out. The fact the Patriots didn't want him back is strange, especially since Belichick makes it a habit of re-hiring firmer coaches that have been fired by other organizations. He has also never been a DC at any level. This will be his first gig. The name is bigger than the substance for all the wrong reasons...so we'll see. It would be harder to do worse 
Belicheck's coordinators have fizzled as HC, not everyone is meant to be a the top guy.  Flores is actually the only one in recent memory that actually was successful.  He didn't get fired cuz he couldn't coach.  Pretty impressive he went .500 with those Dolphins rosters.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"JR44" said:
Pretty hypocritical of the organization to get rid of Zimmer and RS cause of relationship issues and then you hire a guy who is the most abusive coach in the league.  Total BS.  
Most abusive coach?  Maybe I missed something, but I was under the impression the reason he was fired was cuz he blew the whistle on the Dolphins FO for tanking (and they were mad he started winning with their shitty roster that year) and didn't get along with Tua? 

Dude can coach and has a fiery personality.  Doubt KOC would hire the guy if he didn't think he was a culture fit.
You can't fire Zimmer for the reasons given and then hire a guy with a reputation for being even more abrasive.  I think this was more of a Kwesi move than a KOC move. 

https://thespun.com/top-stories/report-w...ian-flores
“There were plenty of players who liked and admired Flores, and let’s be clear about that. But his arrogance and bristling personality rubbed some the wrong way. A close associate of multiple young Dolphins said the players complained to him that ‘he doesn’t understand dealing with men. He’s not approachable.’ When Flores saw one young player in recent months, he told him: ‘Don’t come to my office talking about playing time.’ The player had no such intentions. But multiple sources said he treated players different ways; a veteran such as Jason McCourty wouldn’t be treated with that same heavy hand. ‘He was stern with some but joked around with some guys,’ the source said. ‘It was hard to read him.'”

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
While I think he can get more out of the unit than Donatell, I'm still skeptical from the standpoint that all these New England guys are so incredibly overhyped only to do fizzle out. The fact the Patriots didn't want him back is strange, especially since Belichick makes it a habit of re-hiring firmer coaches that have been fired by other organizations. He has also never been a DC at any level. This will be his first gig. The name is bigger than the substance for all the wrong reasons...so we'll see. It would be harder to do worse 
Belicheck's coordinators have fizzled as HC, not everyone is meant to be a the top guy.  Flores is actually the only one in recent memory that actually was successful.  He didn't get fired cuz he couldn't coach.  Pretty impressive he went .500 with those Dolphins rosters.
I thought his firing was a combination of different things, including his inability to connect with some key players on the roster. We'll see. Like I said, if the choice was between rolling the dice on Flores or going with Pettine, I'm happy they rolled the dice on Flores. 

Nice get for Kwesi and OConnell!  Flores was a top candidate for the Vikes that also had several other teams interested in him.  I was concerned the Vikes might whiff on both Flores and Evero, but they landed one.  Good luck and welcome coach Flores - Skol!