Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get the party started ...
Quote: @"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
i just cant get excited for FA since we need to unload about 1/3 of our starters to even get to the point where we can think about shiny new things.  just like every year,  lots of nice names up for grabs in January,  that arent there when FA begins,  even if we could afford to be players.
I'm not too concerned about our cap situation. If there is one exec on this team that I have faith in, it is Rob Brzezinski. There certainly are contracts on this team that are clearly out of whack right now, but I doubt that comes as any surprise. That was all planned for in advance. KAM did not look pained or panicked when asked about needing to extend JJ - even though everyone knows that JJ is about to become the highest paid WR in NFL history. Not a problem. I think we can all look forward to FA and the draft without a sense of dread or gloom.
Thats been said for the last few years,  but of you of you look back the franchise is slowly sinking further into the cap abyss.   Brez is good,  but he can't create cap space,   eventually the hens come home to roost and you have to pay for barn space.  The can kicking will eventually hurt the team amd imo the longer they kick this medicine can the more it will hurt.
We're not going to have the cap space of the Chicago Bears, but then again, we did not just have the worst record in the NFL. If we need to trade, release, or restructure Thielen, Kendricks, H. Smith, and Cook, I don't see that as chickens coming home to roost. Players get old and at some point they cannot play up to their contract. That is just life in the NFL. But the notion that the Vikings suddenly looked around and found themselves in cap hell is unduly pessimistic. I don't see that. 

If you want to argue that we are in a bad spot because we will never get anywhere with Kirk Cousins, and we do not have a franchise QB on the roster, and we are not in a position to go get one, that's a reasonably pessimistic position. I may not agree wholeheartedly, but I would concede you may well be right. But I do not believe that our cap position is a significant problem.

The bigger problem will be we are going to have WR making QB money so we will likely need a franchise QB on a rookie deal. We don't have that.
We have a WR1 that is going to add about 30 a year,  we dont have a QB of the future which means KCs deal will likely get reworked,  and we have to also pay TJ who will likely end up in that 18 to 20 range I am guessing.  Already being 24 over the cap, and you will have to replace those guys you are going to end up cutting or trading to create the money to make these guys new deals work,  not to mention trying to fill the other holes we have due in FA since we dont have shit for draft picks.... they will be ok this year,  but the can will be kicked once again and even though the cap will take a big jump in 24... so will all the other contracts accordingly so this relief in the future is going to be a myth IMO.  

We have a 2nd tier roster, with much of the talent on the wrong side of 30, no draft picks,  and the only way we can play in FA will be to play numbers games and push cap hits down the road which will just hamper matters in those years to pay for what in 23?  another year of good, but not good enough?  I see this approach of can kicking as cap hell,  its a mistake and will eventually take a hard reset to get on the right side of things again.  We took our shot,  and missed,  but instead of taking a new approach,  they seem to want to try and chase down the damn deer as they are reloading and take another shot,  except this time they are winded and unsteady,  sure they might hit one finally,   but odds are they are just wasting lead.

Yes I want management to move on from KC ( mostly for draft picks, I do think he could be a good mentor, but I would rather get a pick or two for him this year and sign a journeyman to mentor our potential future QB) , and a few other older players,  make a push for a QBOTF,  sign a few quality younger players coming off rookie deals to bolster our DL and OL, then see what next year brings.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
i just cant get excited for FA since we need to unload about 1/3 of our starters to even get to the point where we can think about shiny new things.  just like every year,  lots of nice names up for grabs in January,  that arent there when FA begins,  even if we could afford to be players.
I'm not too concerned about our cap situation. If there is one exec on this team that I have faith in, it is Rob Brzezinski. There certainly are contracts on this team that are clearly out of whack right now, but I doubt that comes as any surprise. That was all planned for in advance. KAM did not look pained or panicked when asked about needing to extend JJ - even though everyone knows that JJ is about to become the highest paid WR in NFL history. Not a problem. I think we can all look forward to FA and the draft without a sense of dread or gloom.
Thats been said for the last few years,  but of you of you look back the franchise is slowly sinking further into the cap abyss.   Brez is good,  but he can't create cap space,   eventually the hens come home to roost and you have to pay for barn space.  The can kicking will eventually hurt the team amd imo the longer they kick this medicine can the more it will hurt.
We're not going to have the cap space of the Chicago Bears, but then again, we did not just have the worst record in the NFL. If we need to trade, release, or restructure Thielen, Kendricks, H. Smith, and Cook, I don't see that as chickens coming home to roost. Players get old and at some point they cannot play up to their contract. That is just life in the NFL. But the notion that the Vikings suddenly looked around and found themselves in cap hell is unduly pessimistic. I don't see that. 

If you want to argue that we are in a bad spot because we will never get anywhere with Kirk Cousins, and we do not have a franchise QB on the roster, and we are not in a position to go get one, that's a reasonably pessimistic position. I may not agree wholeheartedly, but I would concede you may well be right. But I do not believe that our cap position is a significant problem.

The bigger problem will be we are going to have WR making QB money so we will likely need a franchise QB on a rookie deal. We don't have that.
We have a WR1 that is going to add about 30 a year,  we dont have a QB of the future which means KCs deal will likely get reworked,  and we have to also pay TJ who will likely end up in that 18 to 20 range I am guessing.  Already being 24 over the cap, and you will have to replace those guys you are going to end up cutting or trading to create the money to make these guys new deals work,  not to mention trying to fill the other holes we have due in FA since we dont have shit for draft picks.... they will be ok this year,  but the can will be kicked once again and even though the cap will take a big jump in 24... so will all the other contracts accordingly so this relief in the future is going to be a myth IMO.  

We have a 2nd tier roster, with much of the talent on the wrong side of 30, no draft picks,  and the only way we can play in FA will be to play numbers games and push cap hits down the road which will just hamper matters in those years to pay for what in 23?  another year of good, but not good enough?  I see this approach of can kicking as cap hell,  its a mistake and will eventually take a hard reset to get on the right side of things again.  We took our shot,  and missed,  but instead of taking a new approach,  they seem to want to try and chase down the damn deer as they are reloading and take another shot,  except this time they are winded and unsteady,  sure they might hit one finally,   but odds are they are just wasting lead.

Yes I want management to move on from KC ( mostly for draft picks, I do think he could be a good mentor, but I would rather get a pick or two for him this year and sign a journeyman to mentor our potential future QB) , and a few other older players,  make a push for a QBOTF,  sign a few quality younger players coming off rookie deals to bolster our DL and OL, then see what next year brings.
Completely agree with you Jimmy. It's incredibly frustrating when you see a roster that you know isn't good enough, but an organization who's owners routinely think they are only a player or two away from getting to the Super Bowl, so they mortgage the future (somewhat) to win now and they just aren't good enough. 3 of the final 4 teams have quarterbacks on rookie contracts and you have to know that you need to have a couple lean years to rebuild the roster and acquire the talent to make a real run. We shot our shot and missed with Zimmer, now we are just delaying the inevitable. Anybody catch the Bills GM's after season press conference talking about the Bengals and how they built their roster? If not go listen to it. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I attributed the heavy can-kicking to Rick trying desperately to win with familiar guys because he was burning so much draft capital on non-contributors.

But then Wilf turned over the front office and told the new guys to keep at it.   Brez is good but he doesn't make the decisions, he just tried to make the bad decisions work, cap-wise.

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

Completely agree with you Jimmy. It's incredibly frustrating when you see a roster that you know isn't good enough, but an organization who's owners routinely think they are only a player or two away from getting to the Super Bowl, so they mortgage the future (somewhat) to win now and they just aren't good enough. 3 of the final 4 teams have quarterbacks on rookie contracts and you have to know that you need to have a couple lean years to rebuild the roster and acquire the talent to make a real run. We shot our shot and missed with Zimmer, now we are just delaying the inevitable. Anybody catch the Bills GM's after season press conference talking about the Bengals and how they built their roster? If not go listen to it. 
I'm one of the old timers - been a fan since 68/69. I want a SB ring as much as anyone. But I'm not prepared to be miserable or incredibly frustrated every year we don't win a SB. We managed 13 wins this year with this roster.  13 wins! Not many teams managed that. Whether we were lucky, fortunate, tricky, whatever, we won 13 out of 17 games with most wins coming in the closing seconds. You can't enjoy that? 

FA and the draft is about hope; it's the season of hope. You get excited about building a team and looking forward to the next season. And coming off a 13-win season and winning the North, we are going into hand wringing mode before FA even gets started?  We now have a great opportunity to extend JJ and TJ - two young stars with Darrisaw coming up next - and we are going to turn that into something to dread? 

Sucking for years and years like the Bengals did would really be frustrating and miserable. And it is not a guaranty that after being the worst team in the league that you are going to get a Joe Burrow and a Ja'mar Chase. The Dolphins blew up their roster and tanked for Tua. Then they passed on Justin Herbert even though they had him for a week leading up to the Senior Bowl. 

Hope for a SB. I do every year. But enjoy the ride even if it comes up short. 

@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

I'm one of the old timers - been a fan since 68/69. I want a SB ring as much as anyone. But I'm not prepared to be miserable or incredibly frustrated every year we don't win a SB. We managed 13 wins this year with this roster.  13 wins! Not many teams managed that. Whether we were lucky, fortunate, tricky, whatever, we won 13 out of 17 games with most wins coming in the closing seconds. You can't enjoy that? 

FA and the draft is about hope; it's the season of hope. You get excited about building a team and looking forward to the next season. And coming off a 13-win season and winning the North, we are going into hand wringing mode before FA even gets started?  We now have a great opportunity to extend JJ and TJ - two young stars with Darrisaw coming up next - and we are going to turn that into something to dread? 

Sucking for years and years like the Bengals did would really be frustrating and miserable. And it is not a guaranty that after being the worst team in the league that you are going to get a Joe Burrow and a Ja'mar Chase. The Dolphins blew up their roster and tanked for Tua. Then they passed on Justin Herbert even though they had him for a week leading up to the Senior Bowl. 

the path we are on is entertaining,  but I dont have much hope for a SB coming from this trajectory.  I've also been a Twins fan my whole life,  I would gladly accept years of sucking for those years when you get rewarded for all those years of loyalty.... no the twinks have been a little light on trajectory themselves the last 30 years or so,  but at least I have seen them win 2 world series, while the Vikes are still hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.    I dont have a magic formula, but what we have been seeing certainly doesnt seem to be moving the needle in comparison to the teams that are left playing this week.

@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:

I'm not trying to be negative, but the reality is we won despite our massive roster deficiencies and lost at home in the first round of the playoffs. That doesn't move the needle for me, who has also been a fan since the mid 80's and seen all the same "close but no cigar" seasons that you have. I'm tired of the constant treading of mediocrity that has gotten us nowhere. I would gladly take a couple 4-13 seasons if that meant we were able to reset our salary cap, draft a franchise quarterback, and build the talent up to give us another legitimate window to win the whole damn thing. I've seen a lot of football in my life and "feel good" seasons have just grown stale and losing in the first round of the playoffs just does nothing for me. IMO the Bears are doing things the right way in rebuilding their roster while the Vikings are on the other end of that spectrum. Of course, they still have to draft the right players and acquire the right talent, but I think their philosophy in roster building is sound for the way todays NFL is ran.

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:

I'm not trying to be negative, but the reality is we won despite our massive roster deficiencies and lost at home in the first round of the playoffs. That doesn't move the needle for me, who has also been a fan since the mid 80's and seen all the same "close but no cigar" seasons that you have. I'm tired of the constant treading of mediocrity that has gotten us nowhere. I would gladly take a couple 4-13 seasons if that meant we were able to reset our salary cap, draft a franchise quarterback, and build the talent up to give us another legitimate window to win the whole damn thing. I've seen a lot of football in my life and "feel good" seasons have just grown stale and losing in the first round of the playoffs just does nothing for me. IMO the Bears are doing things the right way in rebuilding their roster while the Vikings are on the other end of that spectrum. Of course, they still have to draft the right players and acquire the right talent, but I think their philosophy in roster building is sound for the way todays NFL is ran.
Well,  they drafted their QB before building dominant lines so I seriously question their path,  but resetting their cap and accepting a couple down years is IMo a smart start. 

@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

Good post. Sucking for a couple of years to build your roster on the back of a handful of top 10 draft picks is not a certain path to the Super Bowl. Just ask the Lions, Browns, Jets, Texans, Bears, etc. 

You could maybe argue that Cincinnati was built that way, getting Burrow and Chase in successive drafts. But that's not how Philly was built, nor was it how KC was built. 49ers had a few top 10 picks in a row, but half of those players are not still on the team. 

I think there a hundred different ways to build a contender. People look at the final four and say a QB on a rookie deal is how you do it. Well, it certainly helps, but that's not what the Rams did, or the Bucs before them. In fact 7 of the last 8 Super Bowls were won by highly paid veteran QBs. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
Good post. Sucking for a couple of years to build your roster on the back of a handful of top 10 draft picks is not a certain path to the Super Bowl. Just ask the Lions, Browns, Jets, Texans, Bears, etc. 

You could maybe argue that Cincinnati was built that way, getting Burrow and Chase in successive drafts. But that's not how Philly was built, nor was it how KC was built. 49ers had a few top 10 picks in a row, but half of those players are not still on the team. 

I think there a hundred different ways to build a contender. People look at the final four and say a QB on a rookie deal is how you do it. Well, it certainly helps, but that's not what the Rams did, or the Bucs before them. In fact 7 of the last 8 Super Bowls were won by highly paid veteran QBs. 
And how many of those Super Bowls were won by the GOAT Tom Brady? KC has maybe the future GOAT playing quarterback in Patrick Mahomes, so when you get lucky and hit on historically great quarterbacks....it makes everything else a lot easier. Philly was built on them getting lucky and hitting on Hurts, having him under a rookie deal, and having the ability and cap room to add pieces around him like AJ Brown. None of the 49ers quarterbacks are on big money deals. Lance and Purdy are on rookie contracts and Jimmy G was on a one-year deal where his cap hit was 12 million dollars. Cousins cap hit was 31 million last year and his cap number for this upcoming year is 36 million and we have to slice 24 million in cap space with roster holes everywhere. 

So yes, I agree there are different ways to build a roster depending on where you are at with quarterback but right now we are in no man's land. Let me ask everybody, how competitive do you honestly think we will be next year cutting a lot of these veteran players that have been rumored cuts? Right now, I think we are going to be behind the Lions and the Bears in the division and Green Bay is a wild card depending on Rodgers. It's time to hit the reset button as the sensible thing to do. I advocated for it last season with the new regime coming aboard, but now we are really getting towards that time. And again, the turnaround can be quick and doesn't have to take 5 to 10 years as long as we hit on draft picks and add some young parts in free agency. And we do have the golden child as our GM making these choices right, so what do we have to lose?

The GM needs to pull his head out of his posterior to make this happen.  Last year's draft especially at the top end was so stupid on so many levels.  First time GM and you're wheeling and dealing like it's a game of Pay Day.

Now this year a smart modest  trade down might make sense.

Aging  players just need to be traded  or let go.

What also  makes sense is making your strength better (offense)  and totally blowing up the D (what's to lose).  Realistically need a veteran  WR (little younger/cheaper version of Thielen)  in free agency to take pressure off Jefferson, draft a center on a rookie  deal (or determine if Schlotterman/Reed can be a bridge center) and then spend the rest of draft and free agency concentrating on defense (unless BPA on offensive side is just toongood to pass up) and perhaps a flyer on qbs and receivers or developmental lineman in the free agency  market or raiding practice  squads.

Last thing would be to determine best cap scenario that doesn't include Cousin's being here for more than 2 years.  I'd take a Darnold type reclamation project right now knowing he has JJ, TJ, (insert vet receiver here) to throw to.  If it doesn't work, the next draft becomes more valuable.  If it does they have cap space to extend key pieces and improve  d.