Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
9-2: Can You Believe It?!
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
I thought it was an 11-12 win roster. But as we saw last year, it doesn't matter how much talent you might have on your roster if you're plagued by injuries and bad coaching. 

I thought adjusting to the new schemes would be a wash with opponents unprepared for those new schemes. I think that's about right. I thought Bradbury would be better and make us re-think his contract, and that's been true.

Couple positive surprises....

• Thought we'd improve situationally but not completely flip the script like we've done. 
• Patrick Peterson is having a much better year than I thought he would. Really thought he was done
• Darrisaw. For a 2nd year player to have the kind of year he's having is a pleasant surprise. 

Couple negative...

• ISJ injured AGAIN. But somehow we were able to turn that negative into a positive. Would we be as good right now if ISJ doesn't get hurt? I don't think so. 
• I thought the defense could be mid-level, but it's bottom level
• Thought KJO would have a bigger impact
For me Za'Darius is one of the years bigger surprises

DH and KJO are both on my bigger negative list
 - You're much more impressed with DH in this scheme than I am
Teams are doubling Hunter, not Z. Still, he ranks top 15 ish in sacks and top 5 ish in pressures. He's also the highest graded player on our defense. 

Why is Z a surprise? Hasn't he always been a really good pass rusher? 
I wasn't sure what Z had left in the tank...I dont know where he's at regarding grades? But his presence on the field and locker room makes him my favorite Viking this year. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
I thought it was an 11-12 win roster. But as we saw last year, it doesn't matter how much talent you might have on your roster if you're plagued by injuries and bad coaching. 

I thought adjusting to the new schemes would be a wash with opponents unprepared for those new schemes. I think that's about right. I thought Bradbury would be better and make us re-think his contract, and that's been true.

• Thought we'd improve situationally but not completely flip the script like we've done. 
• Patrick Peterson is having a much better year than I thought he would. Really thought he was done
• Darrisaw. For a 2nd year player to have the kind of year he's having is a pleasant surprise. 

Couple negative...

• ISJ injured AGAIN. But somehow we were able to turn that negative into a positive. Would we be as good right now if ISJ doesn't get hurt? I don't think so. 

@MaroonBells

Agree, thought KJ would be much better in a pass heavy offense.  Like at least hit his same numbers as last season where he had an expanded role when Thielen missed some games.  He's the same guy, just not getting tje opportunities.

Speaking of which, I thought Dalvin would be used more as a pass catcher.  There was some talk in training camp of that happening but so far we haven't seen it.

@purplefaithful

Agree on Hunter.  He's been better as a pass rusher with Donatell letting him put his hand on the ground, but it's so telling that you know he's rushing when he's playing that way.  Just don't think he's cut out to be a stand up OLB in a 3-4.  But that's fine if the Vikings want to run a hybrid where he's one of the down linemen but it limits what we can do as far as disguising our rush.  It'll be interesting to see what happens with him in the off-season.  I wouldnt be shocked to see us trade him since we're light on draft picks next year.  We could get a haul...

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Couple negative...

@MaroonBells

Agree, thought KJ would be much better in a pass heavy offense.  Like at least hit his same numbers as last season where he had an expanded role when Thielen missed some games.  He's the same guy, just not getting tje opportunities.

Speaking of which, I thought Dalvin would be used more as a pass catcher.  There was some talk in training camp of that happening but so far we haven't seen it.

@purplefaithful

Agree on Hunter.  He's been better as a pass rusher with Donatell letting him put his hand on the ground, but it's so telling that you know he's rushing when he's playing that way.  Just don't think he's cut out to be a stand up OLB in a 3-4.  But that's fine if the Vikings want to run a hybrid where he's one of the down linemen but it limits what we can do as far as disguising our rush.  It'll be interesting to see what happens with him in the off-season.  I wouldnt be shocked to see us trade him since we're light on draft picks next year.  We could get a haul...

And that gets back to where are those Donatell disguises we were all looking forward to. 

Dalvin did catch that pretty touch down I think it was against Pats. Not sure if he lined up out wide or in the backfield though. Overall I dont notice him splitting wide as often as I thought I would. 

I think the roster overhaul next year could have fans jaws on the ground. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Couple negative...

@MaroonBells

@purplefaithful

I think Hunter is better in a 4-3, but he's obviously pretty damn good in a 3-4 too. Trading him might be how we get the QB? And have money for Cousins and Jefferson to coexist? Just a thought. I also tend to think that no Hunter results in a much less effective Z. So gotta be careful there. 

I'm still not sold on Kwesi or Donatell as DC.  The draft this year was a straight up mess...and that's on Kwesi.  He's been good with his veteran acquisitions so maybe he needs a draft assistant or more input from others.  Donatell always seemed like a poor man's Fangio...and it's even more odd because Fangio is available.  He's doing some consulting for the Eagles.  Admittedly, Donatell is implementing a new system...with some aging pieces so I can't say the lack of success is entirely surprising.  We really needed a better draft and I haven't seen enough in Booth or CIne yet to feel confident the calvary is on its way next year.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Very pleasantly surprised and have said so thru this 9-2 run. The demolition by the Cowboys was a real kick in the nuts, but they rebounded against a decent team. No way to expect this type of season with 2 new systems on both sides of the football. They've won games in ways that Minnesota rarely ever wins them, in a very un-Viking like clutch manner that's been a fun ride. The team seems close and the culture is good. I feel positive about the new HC and GM. Not sure I could reasonably have asked for more as a fan thus far.
Yeah, the closing out, coming from behind type of wins are not ones we are used to.  Gives some hope for the playoffs even if we aren't a great team yet.  

@"Wetlander" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Couple negative...

@MaroonBells

@purplefaithful

I think Hunter is better in a 4-3, but he's obviously pretty damn good in a 3-4 too. Trading him might be how we get the QB? And have money for Cousins and Jefferson to coexist? Just a thought. I also tend to think that no Hunter results in a much less effective Z. So gotta be careful there. 
I think most of Hunter's success recently has been in the traditional 4-3, hand in the dirt rushes.  he is just so different when he has that forward lean.  Z is a different cat, he can win anywhere on the line from the 2 point.  Much of his success has come inside against the guards or center this year.

Despite the intense KJ Osborn love here, I think he's just a guy. Not bad by any stretch but just meh. He's made a few nice plays for the team over the last 2 years for sure. Its tough to shine as the #3 WRer, admittedly. But he in no way has #2 ability IMO.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Despite the intense KJ Osborn love here, I think he's just a guy. Not bad by any stretch but just meh. He's made a few nice plays for the team over the last 2 years for sure. Its tough to shine as the #3 WRer, admittedly. But he in no way has #2 ability IMO.
I think we're just now starting to see the offense open up a little. First half was JJ or bust. He was the security blanket. But as Cousins becomes more and more comfortable in this system, Dalvin, AT, KJO and TJH will become bigger pieces in it. 

Can KJO be a #2? Obviously depends on the team. Not in Cincinnati, but have you seen the WR rooms in Chicago? Detroit? Houston? Atlanta.....?

@"StickyBun" said:
I think we're just now starting to see the offense open up a little. First half was JJ or bust. He was the security blanket. But as Cousins becomes more and more comfortable in this system, Dalvin, AT, KJO and TJH will become bigger pieces in it. 

Can KJO be a #2? Obviously depends on the team. Not in Cincinnati, but have you seen the WR rooms in Chicago? Detroit? Houston? Atlanta.....?
https://twitter.com/WillRagatz/status/15...34944?s=20&t=pSPDyTUENi1bQb1OOJ-4cw