Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cris Carter Talks AP
I think what makes the most amount of sense for AD is to be
part of an under-center set of personnel packages.  You don’t really want him in there for shotgun
formations, but I think you can still build a balanced offense around him.  I think he really is a rhythm guy, where you
want him to get a whole series or two of snaps at a time, rather than
flip-flopping back and forth between backs. 
I also think he’ll be a valuable part of their 4 minute offense.  None of their backs really looked good
running the ball, and I think that’s on their OLine.  He really would benefit from being on a team
with a solid OLine.  He’s always been a
full steam ahead back rather than a patient back, and now he doesn’t have the
quickness and speed to make something out of nothing.  A line that would open holes so he doesn’t
have to sit behind the line and wait for something to open up would be a strong
benefit for him.

I also don’t think it’s out of the question that AD could
develop into a better back once he accepts his physical limitations.  He still has similar physical attributes to a
lot of backs, and if he could figure out how to be a more patient runner so he could
be utilized out of the shotgun that would go a long ways to extending his
career.

Quote: @"medaille" said:

I also don’t think it’s out of the question that AD could
develop into a better back once he accepts his physical limitations.  He still has similar physical attributes to a
lot of backs, and if he could figure out how to be a more patient runner so he could
be utilized out of the shotgun that would go a long ways to extending his
career.
You're not wrong, but I just don't see it with Peterson - and, actually, I mean that as a compliment. IMO what made him a great runner in his prime was that he DID NOT accept his physical limitations. He was an angry arrogant runner who didn't try to run around people or avoid tackles. He KNEW that he was stronger and faster than everyone on the field. 

Do the fans who loved the way he played in his prime really want him to turn into Frank Gore just to stretch out his career a couple more years as a journeyman? Why??

His candle burned twice as bright. We all know what that means.

Another thing that would benefit AD is being on a team that can run block.  Why is AD the only Saint RB being criticized?  All three Saint RBs combined totaled 53 yards on the ground.

It's not about what the fans want, it's about what he wants. It's a long drop from the star player to role player. It's an adjustment he is going to have to make if he wants to keep playing. I wish him well just not against the Vikings. He got a nice reunion with his former teammates after the game.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
These extreme takes by 'on air personalities', especially Cris Carter, make me roll my eyes.
Gotta agree with that.  Didn't bother watching, but the extreme takes are meant to get people talking, not make sense.  Think Cowherd, he would say outlandish things because then people would call to argue.

I'm just gonna swig this big ol' glass of purple Kool-Aid, put on my purple shades, and make one small statement in AP's defense:

remember, that guy was facing OUR defense...!  B)