Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cris Carter Talks AP

That was brutal.  i feel bad for the guy, but I have thought he was done a few years ago.  

Age sucks. 

How can one be so sure that he is "done" when he hasn't had the chance to carry the ball 10+ times in a game for almost 2 years? He wasn't done in 2015, and he has had 43 carries after that, that's about 2 games worth and 1 1/2 of them came behind our crappy Offensive line of last year...

Do i think he's still as good as in 2012? Hell no, but you can't hold it against him that he hasn't gotten a real chance to show what he still can do (well, you could question his decision to sign with the Saints, but it's not like he had 31 teams to choose from...)

These extreme takes by 'on air personalities', especially Cris Carter, make me roll my eyes. Great Viking player, but as a person and as a TV guy, he's like listening to nails on a chalkboard. The 'Fall Guy' bullshit at the rookie symposium is the stupidest advice ever for a guy that should know better. ...I cant get past that. 

Quote: @"GermanVike" said:
How can one be so sure that he is "done" when he hasn't had the chance to carry the ball 10+ times in a game for almost 2 years? He wasn't done in 2015, and he has had 43 carries after that, that's about 2 games worth and 1 1/2 of them came behind our crappy Offensive line of last year...

Do i think he's still as good as in 2012? Hell no, but you can't hold it against him that he hasn't gotten a real chance to show what he still can do (well, you could question his decision to sign with the Saints, but it's not like he had 31 teams to choose from...)
If you are a HC,  do you want AP to be your feature back based on what you've seen since 2012?  Do you want to feature your offense around him?

If you say no to these two questions then you are saying he is done,  because I don't think AD has it in him to be a complementary player.  

He's had a great career but sadly the last few years have only eroded his once great numbers. Think about his avg per game stat,  every time he goes out there and gets 20 to 30 yards that number takes a significant hit.  He used to be mentioned in the yards per carry talk but that has sunk significantly. 

The wheels are coming off that wagon.

EDIT:  AND SINORSWIM STILL ROCKS!

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
If you are a HC,  do you want AP to be your feature back based on what you've seen since 2012?  Do you want to feature your offense around him?

If you say no to these two questions then you are saying he is done,  because I don't think AD has it in him to be a complementary player.  
Completely true, and also as a HC: do you want a guy who just bitched out his coach on national TV? This is particularly relevant to those who are making lists of teams (Arizona, New York, Dallas, Miami) that are allegedly eager to trade for Peterson because the Saints are just a "bad fit".

Any team willing to give him $100K more than the Saints could have had Peterson six months ago. He only had 3 FA visits, to the Patriots (who preferred the esteemed Rex Burkhead), Seahawks (who immediately signed Eddie Lacy), and the last-resort Saints. No one wanted him; THAT is the real evidence the league thinks he is done, and his value did NOT increase Monday night.

My guess is that Payton wanted another RB to keep Ingram motivated and didn't know if he would draft anyone. But he got Kamara and now Peterson is just a third wheel with a famous name. At this point I would guess Peterson is one more treat-Payton-like-Leslie-Frazier outburst away from the waiver wire.

Another point is that the running backs in today's league are not one dimensional, i.e...Peterson.  AP is and only will be a power down hill runner only.  That's why teams have running backs by committee that bring different styles to the offense.  It's not that Peterson is not a good running back, he's a Hall of Famer...but the league/teams have changed. 

Kind of funny they (CC and that other dude) say AD is the worst RB on the Saints, and doesn't have it anymore totally based on the game last Monday night.  Yet, he led the team in rushing and avg. per run.  I guess that logic just proves all the Saints RBs suck.  B)

I think that AD could still thrive- if given a chance.  Saying that he didn't do well in MN the last 2 years isn't exactly fair to him: our OL sucked.  I've been plenty critical of his inability to find the hole (patience) when it's there... but he's still got it (IMO).  I just don't know which system- that needs a RB right now- would enable him to do what he does best (run downhill).  NYG?  Arizona?  If I were one of those teams, I'd take a flier on him (if NO was ready to deal).

Unless any team is willing to give AD 20-30 touches a game, he's not worth picking up.  I know he said he's worked on his receiving in the off season, but the Ain'ts have one of the best RB receivers in Ingram.  He's a square peg in Nawlin's...