Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, what pieces are missing ?
Quote: @Greylock said:
Immovable nose tackle
Definitely!  Can we see what Pat Williams is doing these days!  One of my favorite Vikes, loved having him and Winfield on the same defense.  I think we need more of a true DL with the big NT and the impact DEs, seeing JJ Watt last week made me think of how we do not seem to have the DE in the mold of a 3-4 DL.  

Quote: @JR44 said:
@Greylock said:
Immovable nose tackle
Definitely!  Can we see what Pat Williams is doing these days!  One of my favorite Vikes, loved having him and Winfield on the same defense.  I think we need more of a true DL with the big NT and the impact DEs, seeing JJ Watt last week made me think of how we do not seem to have the DE in the mold of a 3-4 DL.  
It takes time to get all the pieces in place.   Curios to see how they do it with few draft picks and marginal cap space.  I'm guessing a few of our longtime fan favorites will become expendable. 

pass rushing DL....pass blocking RB.........two inside LB's.  nickle corner and a starting corner.......another starting safety.  Center that weighed at least 25 more pounds, and bench 150 more pounds.

Quote: @Mighty mouse said:
pass rushing DL....pass blocking RB.........two inside LB's.  nickle corner and a starting corner.......another starting safety.  Center that weighed at least 25 more pounds, and bench 150 more pounds.
We'll see more of you when the Vikings start losing I'm sure.....

Sounds like more than a few Viking fans don't want a Super Bowl winning team. They want a perfect team. A team without flaws. 

What do Kendall Blanton, Greg Gaines, Ernest Jones, Troy Reeder, Darious Williams, David Long, Nick Scott and Taylor Rapp have in common? Other than the fact that they're all pretty crappy players, they were all starters in the last Super Bowl. 

Hey boomers, it's not 1974 anymore. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Sounds like more than a few Viking fans don't want a Super Bowl winning team. They want a perfect team. A team without flaws. 

What do Kendall Blanton, Greg Gaines, Ernest Jones, Troy Reeder, Darious Williams, David Long, Nick Scott and Taylor Rapp have in common? Other than the fact that they're all pretty crappy players, they were all starters in the last Super Bowl. 

Not looking for perfection. In fact, I thought we were already in pretty good shape offensively. My worry is stopping teams like the Eagles, Chiefs, Bills, and 49ers. Not sure we have the horses to hang with those teams, and if we're going all in, it seems we have more pressing needs on that side of the ball. Hockensen seems like a luxury pickup.

All 3 levels of this D need an upgrade. It's the D that would keep this team from beating the upper echelon of the NFL in post season. 

I'm still enjoying the ride - but I know where the limitations are this year. Least I think I do. 

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@MaroonBells said:

Not looking for perfection. In fact, I thought we were already in pretty good shape offensively. My worry is stopping teams like the Eagles, Chiefs, Bills, and 49ers. Not sure we have the horses to hang with those teams, and if we're going all in, it seems we have more pressing needs on that side of the ball. Hockensen seems like a luxury pickup.

ISJ is out for 2 months and we're down to practice squad recruits to be forced into action.  The Hockenson trade filled a legit need and a homerun because financially it worked out.
This team doesn't have an elite D, but overall they're decent and improving.  I agree the Vikes aren't ready for the SB, but this team is gaining confidence each week.  I think playoffs are a real possibility now; especially if they win against Washington.

I'd assume we're talking next year rather then this year at this point.  We need an injection of youth on D next year.  KOC seems to be molding the offense to what he wants out of it.  It seems that all the positions are filled on that side of the ball to the best of their ability.
We flat need youth on D.  We're going to have to hit a home run or two with some later draft picks.  That gives the team the ability to start young guys on cheap salaries so that we can pay the likes of Jefferson, Cousins, Darrisaw and now Hockenson who I hope to God we decide to keep.
I really think in 2023 its time to strongly consider moving on from players like Hunter, Cook and maybe even Thielen if he won't restructure to free up salary cap for the next generation of Viking players. 

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@MaroonBells said:

ISJ is out for 2 months and we're down to practice squad recruits to be forced into action.  The Hockenson trade filled a legit need and a homerun because financially it worked out.
This team doesn't have an elite D, but overall they're decent and improving.  I agree the Vikes aren't ready for the SB, but this team is gaining confidence each week.  I think playoffs are a real possibility now; especially if they win against Washington.
a real possibility "now", like they werent at 5-1?  Honestly after the start we had going into the bye week if this team managed to miss the playoffs from 5-1 my head would have exploded.  I am of the notion that anything short of the NFCN title and a top 2 or 3 finish in the NFC would be a disappointing end to this season with the start we've had.  Anything less than that better have some major injuries tied to it, otherwise it means that our O and D didnt make the growth that they should have down the stretch IMO.