Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase Claypool
Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
Thielen and Osborn aren't getting the separation. Need to go younger but what can the Vikings trade and also lack of cap space. 
If separation is the concern not many "proven" guys stand out as noticeably  better. At least not better enough that giving up assets is cost effective.Thielen averages 1.4 yards of separation, Osborne 1.5. Neither of which is terrible for 2nd/3rd options. Especially when you have a Jefferson as the clear focus.

Here are what the most talked about available guys average; Claypool 1.43, Cooks 1.68, Jeudy 1.28, DJ Moore 1.48, Elijah Moore 1.90, Golladay 1.0, Callaway 1.09, Green 1.23, Hamler 1.64, Bourne 2.79 (on 11 catches). Side not OBJ averaged 1.63 in 2021.

JMO, the issue is targets. Jefferson is averaging nearly 11 a game. Meanwhile Thielen 7.2, Osborne 4.3. Get those two more attempts and I think you see increased production. If we make a trade and the new guy isn't targeted any more than the current guys what's the point?

With the issues on defense I hate the idea of giving up capital on WR when there are several more obvious needs and no needle mover that's a realistic get at WR

Might be worth doing just to see Aaron Rodgers totally freakout when his team does nothing.

The Steelers should be doing a little fire sale because they won't win games starting Pickett this year. 

Quote: @"bigbone62" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
Thielen and Osborn aren't getting the separation. Need to go younger but what can the Vikings trade and also lack of cap space. 
If separation is the concern not many "proven" guys stand out as noticeably  better. At least not better enough that giving up assets is cost effective.Thielen averages 1.4 yards of separation, Osborne 1.5. Neither of which is terrible for 2nd/3rd options. Especially when you have a Jefferson as the clear focus.

Here are what the most talked about available guys average; Claypool 1.43, Cooks 1.68, Jeudy 1.28, DJ Moore 1.48, Elijah Moore 1.90, Golladay 1.0, Callaway 1.09, Green 1.23, Hamler 1.64, Bourne 2.79 (on 11 catches). Side not OBJ averaged 1.63 in 2021.

JMO, the issue is targets. Jefferson is averaging nearly 11 a game. Meanwhile Thielen 7.2, Osborne 4.3. Get those two more attempts and I think you see increased production. If we make a trade and the new guy isn't targeted any more than the current guys what's the point?

With the issues on defense I hate the idea of giving up capital on WR when there are several more obvious needs and no needle mover that's a realistic get at WR
Yes, this. Excellent post. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
I guess McCardell's whole "draft another position" statement/assesment prior to the draft really hasn't panned out that way as this is now potentially the second WR added via trade after the start of the season. Instead of Lewis Cine running fourth on the safery depth chart before his potentially career ending injury, we could have had Williams getting ready to come back for the stretch run at a seemingly still evolving WR group. 
If Williams makes a meaningful contribution at all this year, I'll be surprised. 

Surprising there is so much talk about WR and not much at all regarding defense. 

I have serious doubts that Denver moves Jeudy...  Like you trade for Wilson and then trade away one of his young weapons halfway through the season? Doesn't make sense to me...

If the Vikings really want a field stretcher, we should be asking for KJ Hamler instead...  He's got speed to burn, isn't super happy in Denver since Wilson has missed him wide open a few times in critical situations, and he'd be much cheaper to acquire than Jeudy.

As far as Claypool, despite his size and speed...  He isn't used as a field stretcher.  He's more a big target where you design ways to get him the ball where he can catch and run.  Her sweeps, screens, crossers, etc...  A lot of the same ways we use our current group.

If we don't make a move, I'd almost rather see Thielen in the slot more and KJ used vertically on the outside.  He's made some big plays down field last year and had the long TD catch against Detroit for the win.  Think we need to see more of that since I think it would suit Thielen better (possession WR role with his hands and route running) and give KJ more high value opportunities to make plays downfield.

Just my ramblings on the topic...

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
I guess McCardell's whole "draft another position" statement/assesment prior to the draft really hasn't panned out that way as this is now potentially the second WR added via trade after the start of the season. Instead of Lewis Cine running fourth on the safery depth chart before his potentially career ending injury, we could have had Williams getting ready to come back for the stretch run at a seemingly still evolving WR group. 
If Williams makes a meaningful contribution at all this year, I'll be surprised. 
So the same as Cine and Booth, sadly. If I had to bet on one of these 3 guys having a great career, my money would be on Williams. As it would have been on draft night too. Hopefully Kwesi proves me wrong. 

Quote: @"bigbone62" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:

Nd 

Great post. I’m wondering if you know what the target separation is for man coverage? It seems like defenses are running a lot of man against Thielen and Osborn. It may just be me, but it seems that way. I’m curious if that shows any anomalies. Thielen seems pretty well covered in man this year, unlike earlier years where he was very difficult to man up.

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
@"bigbone62" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:

Nd 

Great post. I’m wondering if you know what the target separation is for man coverage? It seems like defenses are running a lot of man against Thielen and Osborn. It may just be me, but it seems that way. I’m curious if that shows any anomalies. Thielen seems pretty well covered in man this year, unlike earlier years where he was very difficult to man up.
AT was on the radio this morning as was saying how he is being held a lot  more than in the past,  they run out of those bunch sets and he thinks the refs are letting the DBs get away with a lot more grabs than they have in the past at the LOS which then screws the timing of the routes up.  If that is the case our coaches need to be up those refs asses and the WRs needs to get a lot more physical with the DBs when they are getting held.  Make AT go over and work with the DL and develop a violent rip and chop and those DBs will get tired of having their arms beaten eventually.