Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We got some dogs in the WRer house....
Quote: @"RS Express" said:
@"greediron" said:
Funny thing about the Vikings, two of the best players among their positions have been undrafted.  AT isn't going to compare to Moss, but his success is pretty spectacular.  50 TDs, that is AC and Sammy White territory.  AT will likely end up #3 all time on TDs and could get up to #4 on yards.

Between him and Randle, are there any better success stories?
Rod Smith, WR, Broncos.  Undrafted out of SE Missouri.  Over 12,000 yards and 2 SB rings.  IMO he's the WR equivalent of getting a Randle, and well above Theilen.
Geez, thanks for that quick debbie downer Smile

@"greediron" said:
Funny thing about the Vikings, two of the best players among their positions have been undrafted.  AT isn't going to compare to Moss, but his success is pretty spectacular.  50 TDs, that is AC and Sammy White territory.  AT will likely end up #3 all time on TDs and could get up to #4 on yards.

Rod Smith, WR, Broncos.  Undrafted out of SE Missouri.  Over 12,000 yards and 2 SB rings.  IMO he's the WR equivalent of getting a Randle, and well above Theilen.
Rod Smith had a great career and yes better than Thielen. However, I don't think anyone in the NFL wouldn't say Thielen was a great steal for the Vikes. 

@"greediron" said:

Forgot he was undrafted.  I don't know about "well above" but yes, he was something pretty special.

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
I think many of the players who succeed in any sport pass the Cool Hand Luke test.  If you have seen the movie, you recall the Paul Newman - George Kennedy fight.  It is someone who refuses to stay down, who refuses to lose and will do everything one can to continue to compete.  It is someone who constantly works on the craft (after being paid) because they can't live with losing.  Osborn is an excellent example -- after a disappointing rookie season, he spent the offseason really working.  It was simply unacceptable to him to not being on the field.  You want to draft players who view losing as completely unacceptable -- every loss tears at them and motivates them to get up every morning before the rest are awake and go to bed after everyone else is asleep.
Good advice for sports and prison fights, but probably bad advice for nearly every other human conflict. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:
I think many of the players who succeed in any sport pass the Cool Hand Luke test.  If you have seen the movie, you recall the Paul Newman - George Kennedy fight.  It is someone who refuses to stay down, who refuses to lose and will do everything one can to continue to compete.  It is someone who constantly works on the craft (after being paid) because they can't live with losing.  Osborn is an excellent example -- after a disappointing rookie season, he spent the offseason really working.  It was simply unacceptable to him to not being on the field.  You want to draft players who view losing as completely unacceptable -- every loss tears at them and motivates them to get up every morning before the rest are awake and go to bed after everyone else is asleep.
Good advice for sports and prison fights, but probably bad advice for nearly every other human conflict. 
Actually bad advice for prison fights if you recall the Cool Hand Luke fight.  In most prison fights, Newman would have been killed by a merciless Kennedy.  

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:
Yes.  I learned that the hard way wrestling my 22 year old son.  I won the battle because I refused to lose.  But I lost the war for the same reason.