Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We got some dogs in the WRer house....
JJ, Thielen, Osborn: they all got swag. Attitude. I believe that gives you added value at that position. Need to keep drafting for that 'dog' intangible. That competitiveness separates these guys where the difference in ability is very close around the league.

Agreed.  And I think they have another in Nailor waiting in the wings...

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
Agreed.  And I think they have another in Nailor waiting in the wings...
Yep. Michigan State puts out some tough minded players.

I’m really hoping Nailor can contribute a little bit here and there this year, get used to life in the NFL, and then potentially take on a bigger role next year a la Year 2 KJ Osborn.

With the TE pipeline looking pretty dry it’s even more important for the WRs (and Ham I suppose) to be steady. Thankfully, I think they are.

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
I’m really hoping Nailor can contribute a little bit here and there this year, get used to life in the NFL, and then potentially take on a bigger role next year a la Year 2 KJ Osborn.

With the TE pipeline looking pretty dry it’s even more important for the WRs (and Ham I suppose) to be steady. Thankfully, I think they are.
I like Osborn, I do, but I feel Nailor is more sudden. He's got a little more ceiling. Nailor might be one of those guys that continually gets open with sharp routes, quick turns and then good RAC. 

I think many of the players who succeed in any sport pass the Cool Hand Luke test.  If you have seen the movie, you recall the Paul Newman - George Kennedy fight.  It is someone who refuses to stay down, who refuses to lose and will do everything one can to continue to compete.  It is someone who constantly works on the craft (after being paid) because they can't live with losing.  Osborn is an excellent example -- after a disappointing rookie season, he spent the offseason really working.  It was simply unacceptable to him to not being on the field.  You want to draft players who view losing as completely unacceptable -- every loss tears at them and motivates them to get up every morning before the rest are awake and go to bed after everyone else is asleep.

For two straight games, Vikings wide receiver Justin Jefferson didn’t have many catches. But he also didn’t have any temper tantrums.
After having nine receptions for a career-high 184 yards in the opener against Green Bay, Jefferson had just nine catches for 62 yards in Weeks 2 and 3 while facing plenty of double teams. But he bounced back to catch 10 passes for 147 yards in Sunday’s 28-25 win over New Orleans in London and was named Man of the Match.
During his two games with limited production, Jefferson said he kept any frustration he had to himself. He said after Sunday’s game that’s because he has matured and become more of a leader in his third season.
“Not getting frustrated, not having those temper tantrums on the sideline when I’m not getting my way,’’ Jefferson said of the difference from his first two years.

Jefferson saw a lot less double teams against the Saints, who used four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Marshon Lattimore on him. But Jefferson won the majority of the battles between the two, and head coach Kevin O’Connell was quite pleased with that.
“(It) obviously was great to get him those touches and those plays (Sunday) to get back where he belongs within our offense having a ton of success,’’ O’Connell said Monday.
Jefferson was pivotal down the stretch for the Vikings (3-1). After they fell behind for the first time in the game early in the fourth quarter, he gave them a 25-22 lead on a 3-yard run with 4:15 left. Later, with the score tied 25-25, he caught a 39-yard pass down the left sideline that set up Greg Joseph’s 47-yard go-ahead field goal with 24 seconds remaining.
“He has had two monster performances and two performances where the statistical numbers weren’t there, and I take as much ownership over that as anybody,’’ O’Connell said.
O’Connell worked to create ways for Jefferson to again catch plenty of balls. Through it all, he was pleased with how Jefferson responded to having just six catches for 48 yards in Week 2 at Philadelphia and just three catches for 14 yards in Week 3 against Detroit.

“What I love about it and what I thought showed that leadership was Justin’s ability to continue to be a positive force within the huddle,’’ O’Connell said.
https://www.twincities.com/sports/nfl/minnesota-vikings/

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

For two straight games, Vikings wide receiver Justin Jefferson didn’t have many catches. But he also didn’t have any temper tantrums.
After having nine receptions for a career-high 184 yards in the opener against Green Bay, Jefferson had just nine catches for 62 yards in Weeks 2 and 3 while facing plenty of double teams. But he bounced back to catch 10 passes for 147 yards in Sunday’s 28-25 win over New Orleans in London and was named Man of the Match.
During his two games with limited production, Jefferson said he kept any frustration he had to himself. He said after Sunday’s game that’s because he has matured and become more of a leader in his third season.
“Not getting frustrated, not having those temper tantrums on the sideline when I’m not getting my way,’’ Jefferson said of the difference from his first two years.

Jefferson saw a lot less double teams against the Saints, who used four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Marshon Lattimore on him. But Jefferson won the majority of the battles between the two, and head coach Kevin O’Connell was quite pleased with that.
“(It) obviously was great to get him those touches and those plays (Sunday) to get back where he belongs within our offense having a ton of success,’’ O’Connell said Monday.
Jefferson was pivotal down the stretch for the Vikings (3-1). After they fell behind for the first time in the game early in the fourth quarter, he gave them a 25-22 lead on a 3-yard run with 4:15 left. Later, with the score tied 25-25, he caught a 39-yard pass down the left sideline that set up Greg Joseph’s 47-yard go-ahead field goal with 24 seconds remaining.
“He has had two monster performances and two performances where the statistical numbers weren’t there, and I take as much ownership over that as anybody,’’ O’Connell said.
O’Connell worked to create ways for Jefferson to again catch plenty of balls. Through it all, he was pleased with how Jefferson responded to having just six catches for 48 yards in Week 2 at Philadelphia and just three catches for 14 yards in Week 3 against Detroit.

“What I love about it and what I thought showed that leadership was Justin’s ability to continue to be a positive force within the huddle,’’ O’Connell said.
https://www.twincities.com/sports/nfl/minnesota-vikings/
Sunday proved some things about JJ.  First, as we all know, he is still very good.  Second, he will eat up even the best DBs if they are in single coverage.  Glad to see Lattimore get worked.

As to the OP, not sure what the definition of dog is, but Thielen has set the standard for hard work, attention to detail, practice habits and above all, route running.  Hopefully JJ is learning from AT because with those intangibles and his God-given talent, he will blow up the league.

Funny thing about the Vikings, two of the best players among their positions have been undrafted.  AT isn't going to compare to Moss, but his success is pretty spectacular.  50 TDs, that is AC and Sammy White territory.  AT will likely end up #3 all time on TDs and could get up to #4 on yards.

Between him and Randle, are there any better success stories?

Quote: @"greediron" said:
Funny thing about the Vikings, two of the best players among their positions have been undrafted.  AT isn't going to compare to Moss, but his success is pretty spectacular.  50 TDs, that is AC and Sammy White territory.  AT will likely end up #3 all time on TDs and could get up to #4 on yards.

Between him and Randle, are there any better success stories?
Rod Smith, WR, Broncos.  Undrafted out of SE Missouri.  Over 12,000 yards and 2 SB rings.  IMO he's the WR equivalent of getting a Randle, and well above Theilen.