Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do the Eagles have our O playbook?
It certainly seemed like they were ready for every play we
had on offense, and we had no counters.  Certainly
they gameplanned well for us, and we had nothing in the plan to account for
what they actually did.  On defense, I think
we just had a really shitty gameplan, like maybe the worst gameplan I’ve seen.  It looked like we were just playing prevent
all game.  There’s nothing that I saw
that indicated anything more aggressive than that.  I think they just came in with the plan that
we’re going to play zone, take away the deep ball, keep Hurts in the pocket and
make him beat us with his arm, and if he escaped the pocket, one of the guys
that was 30 yards deep would come and stop him, and then we didn’t keep him in
the pocket, and didn’t really cover any of the short or intermediate routes,
and let them run at will.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
we just had a really shitty gameplan, like maybe the worst gameplan I’ve seen.  It looked like we were just playing prevent
that indicated anything more aggressive than that.  I think they just came in with the plan that
Yup.  Trying to keep a mobile QB from getting big plays with his legs is a losing battle.  I say, play defense, make him pass to beat you rather than play a soft zone and let a mediocre passer carve up the D.  He still got his highlight runs and we did nothing to stop them from marching down the field.

Put it this way, make them earn the yards, make them put together a drive.  A huge scramble is a good highlight, but it isn't a gameplan.  The OC can't go back to that play.  

As you say, our D handed them the game.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"medaille" said:
Yup.  Trying to keep a mobile QB from getting big plays with his legs is a losing battle.  I say, play defense, make him pass to beat you rather than play a soft zone and let a mediocre passer carve up the D.  He still got his highlight runs and we did nothing to stop them from marching down the field.

Put it this way, make them earn the yards, make them put together a drive.  A huge scramble is a good highlight, but it isn't a gameplan.  The OC can't go back to that play.  

I have a hard time putting it on the D.  4 of our 5 first half drives were 3 and outs,  the D was left on the field way 2 much in that first half,  and our O put up seven points...the whole game and they only got 7 points to show for it.,  how is that the D handing them the game.  24 points is not a total embarrassment,  how fast it happened was,  but just maybe if the O had sustained more than 1 drive in the first half things could have been different.

Our O was putrid and a complete shit show,  and its the O that is supposed to carry this team with the weapons it has.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"medaille" said:

I have a hard time putting it on the D.  4 of our 5 first half drives were 3 and outs,  the D was left on the field way 2 much in that first half,  and our O put up seven points...the whole game and they only got 7 points to show for it.,  how is that the D handing them the game.  24 points is not a total embarrassment,  how fast it happened was,  but just maybe if the O had sustained more than 1 drive in the first half things could have been different.

Our O was putrid and a complete shit show,  and its the O that is supposed to carry this team with the weapons it has.
Yes, seems the offense, specifically the protections left much to be desired.  But it seemed in the first half that the D was on the field because they didn't force them off the field.  They allowed methodical drives sprinkled with a few big plays.  So their plan to limit the big plays cut both ways.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"medaille" said:

I think there’s plenty of room for blaming everyone.  The offense certainly should be expected to
carry the team, and they didn’t, but the D’s gameplan was incredibly bad in the
first half and not much better later. 
They didn’t do anything to make it hard for the Eagles offense.  We basically played prevent and didn’t defend anything
under 15-20 yards.  It was an incredibly
timid gameplan.  The Eagles set some sort
of (franchise?) record for least number of contested throws (not sure of the exact
stat).  I’m way more concerned about how
we ended up with the defensive gameplan, than I am with the problems on offense.  I think the offense will figure it out over
time, but I’m worried that the designer of that defensive scheme is still on
the team, it was that bad.

https://www.startribune.com/vikings-defe...fresh=true

Defensive coordinator Ed Donatell had the Vikings secondary sit back in soft zone coverage, often watching Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts dink and dunk his way down the field during Monday night's 24-7 loss in Philadelphia.
Hurts opened the game with nine straight completions — none reaching 20 yards downfield 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"medaille" said:

Yes, seems the offense, specifically the protections left much to be desired.  But it seemed in the first half that the D was on the field because they didn't force them off the field.  They allowed methodical drives sprinkled with a few big plays.  So their plan to limit the big plays cut both ways.
LOL,  either way... the defense didnt get any help from the O,  the O had plenty of time to talk about what went wrong and how to fix it,  but the D had about 4 sips of water between eagles drives thanks to our Os ineptitude.