Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBS Sports:"The asset you get nervous about not burning it down is quarterback."
Zimmer would make these same types of comments regarding Kirk. It’s odd and it doesn’t really invite fans to throw all-in with the guy when you get the feeling the team is hesitant to do so themselves. I don’t really see or hear other GMs and coaches saying these things about their guaranteed deal “franchise” QB. Strange. 

Also play calling, I bet there won't be throws behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd down or a lot of running on first down. I wonder if there will be more audibles too. More tight ends and 3 wide receiver sets. The offense should be more creative and less predictable. LFG! 

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
Also play calling, I bet there won't be throws behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd down or a lot of running on first down. I wonder if there will be more audibles too. More tight ends and 3 wide receiver sets. The offense should be more creative and less predictable. LFG! 
Dunno, I bet by week 3 there are people bitching about how they can predict the calls of the offense, how we throw to much/to little.

Maybe the honeymoon lasts a bit longer, but with fans, I doubt it.

I liked our offense last year, except for Zimmer’s hand in dictating play calling and direction. I think the OC and team did a good job considering they had to work around that. There’s a reason why offensive coordinators were always bailing on Zimmer. Having listened to the few comments from Diggs, it seemed like he wanted out because of this run first philosophy. In reality, the OC kept it pretty balanced and JJ feasted, but the overall pressure to run, run, run never seemed to let up.
What I expect from the new offense is a keep it simple attitude. Don’t over complicate things. Do what you do best. If you have the top one or two downfield throwers in the NFL, perhaps first down is a good time to dial it up. Zimmer hated 2nd and long so he pushed the run/short pass hard. I got where he was coming from, but they became too predictable with it. When Cousins was called to run a play action on first down, good things often followed. 
Lastly, I read today that Zimmer was on Cousins to “play better”, putting the losses on him. I don’t know how Cousins kept his mouth shut. Record breaking bad defense tends to impact wins and losses more so than a 100+ QB rated player. Any QB will have an off game, but for Zimmer to put the losses on him was truly pathetic. 
What I like about the new staff is they are realistic. Cousins is a good QB. You can absolutely have great success with him. He does some things elite and others he needs work. Tailor to his strengths and give the guy a chance to succeed is in my opinion, exactly what they need to do. 

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
I liked our offense last year, except for Zimmer’s hand in dictating play calling and direction. I think the OC and team did a good job considering they had to work around that. There’s a reason why offensive coordinators were always bailing on Zimmer. Having listened to the few comments from Diggs, it seemed like he wanted out because of this run first philosophy. In reality, the OC kept it pretty balanced and JJ feasted, but the overall pressure to run, run, run never seemed to let up.
That is funny.  The reason OCs bailed were two fold, the good ones got hired as head coaches elsewhere and the bad ones got replaced.  I can't think of one that "bailed".

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:
That is funny.  The reason OCs bailed were two fold, the good ones got hired as head coaches elsewhere and the bad ones got replaced.  I can't think of one that "bailed".
There's a 3rd category:  Retired.

I think Norv Turner bailed.  He retired and after a year took a coaching job.  I think Kubiak retired for health reasons and to get his kid the job.

That said I agree that OC's weren't just up and leaving because of not getting along with Zimmer outside of Turner.  It also doesn't make much logical sense, since they are under contract and can't make lateral moves.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:
There's a 3rd category:  Retired.

I think Norv Turner bailed.  He retired and after a year took a coaching job.  I think Kubiak retired for health reasons and to get his kid the job.

That said I agree that OC's weren't just up and leaving because of not getting along with Zimmer outside of Turner.  It also doesn't make much logical sense, since they are under contract and can't make lateral moves.
Norv was fired.  He wasn't cutting it and was given a choice.  He chose to basically be fired.  Forgot about Kubiak tho.  Must have been a horrible job for him to leave and stick his kid with it.