Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vike draft discussion -- Peter King
Quote: @AGRforever said:
@ArizonaViking said:
KAM probably getting to the point where he's tired of hearing all the backlash about the trades...

I'll admit, I had a man crush on Kyle Hamilton.  But at this point I'm honestly over it.  Its not like we can change anything about them and we've got what we've got. 

Hamilton was certainly the consensus BPA for our needs, but I'd also say he has a little bit higher bust factor than Cine. We weren't the only team who passed on him. 

At the end of the day, you just never know. In the 2020 draft, six DBs went in the 1st round. Five of the six have been major busts so far, while the 2nd round was filled with emerging stars like Antoine Winfield Jr, Trevon Diggs, Kyle Duggar, Jaylon Johnson and Jeremy Chinn. 

I guess that's why they call it a crapshoot.  

Geez, who woulda thunk AWJ was going to play like an emerging star? 

"dripping sarcasm"

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
It's fascinating how polarizing he is. Change was needed and yet some people are pissed at the change. Also nothing is overnight. He inherited a mess and that's a factor. The scouting department couldn't be altered before the draft and that's a factor. There is some outside the box stuff and there is some typical stuff that KAM is doing. The trades with division rivals really stand out but it shows some cajones. Time will tell how it plays out. There is a new VP of football operations now too. I am looking forward to seeing how things work out.

Na, I was entirely onboard with KAM until the Detroit trade.  12 -> 32 with very little compensation was f$%&*ing nuts. 

@Vikergirl said:
It's fascinating how polarizing he is. Change was needed and yet some people are pissed at the change. Also nothing is overnight. He inherited a mess and that's a factor. The scouting department couldn't be altered before the draft and that's a factor. There is some outside the box stuff and there is some typical stuff that KAM is doing. The trades with division rivals really stand out but it shows some cajones. Time will tell how it plays out. There is a new VP of football operations now too. I am looking forward to seeing how things work out.

Na, I was entirely onboard with KAM until the Detroit trade.  12 -> 32 with very little compensation was f$%&*ing nuts. 
Don't disagree. Too far down and not enough comp. Learning moment for KAM. I'll take that over drafting Troy Williamson or Demetrius Underwood. If that's the worst thing he ends up doing, we're good.

@Vikergirl said:

Yup, that lack of compensation for moving down with Kitties is still raw for me too...Not a fan of the move, doesnt mean I am still not a fan of KAM...

This new regime cant be judged till 2-3 seasons have passed. I am hopeful and now its KOC's turn to be center stage. 

Wilfs looked to have hired bright leaders who are brave, curious and calculating. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Geez, who woulda thunk AWJ was going to play like an emerging star? 

"dripping sarcasm"
Oh I don't know. Some dude wanted to fight me because I called him the safest player in the draft. 

@AGRforever said:
@Vikergirl said:

Yup, that lack of compensation for moving down with Kitties is still raw for me too...Not a fan of the move, doesnt mean I am still not a fan of KAM...

This new regime cant be judged till 2-3 seasons have passed. I am hopeful and now its KOC's turn to be center stage. 

Wilfs looked to have hired bright leaders who are brave, curious and calculating. 

I totally get that. I also get that no other team wanted to be schooled by him. But what's done is done. There is a slow move in a different direction. Football strategy is evolving and a work in progress. Change was needed and here we are. 

@AGRforever said:
@Vikergirl said:

They get a pass this year regardless of what happens.  If going into year two we're saying WTF every Sunday, it wont take 2-3 seasons. 

And then you've got this perspective. IMO, this guy's way overboard. I thought Kwesi should've gotten more out of Detroit, but overall I'm not going to hammer him too much. Hopefully it's a learning lesson for next time
https://thedraftnetwork.com/minnesota-vikings-worst-draft-in-nfc-north-2022/

Who would’ve guessed the Minnesota Vikings would control the near- and long-term outlook in the NFC North during the 2022 NFL Draft? Armed with the 12th pick in the first round, the Vikings were a good bet to land Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton with their premium selection. But that’s not how things worked out, and the NFC North (including the Vikings) will pay for it.
Rather than take Hamilton or another premier prospect in the top-15, Minnesota traded down – all the way down – with the Detroit Lions. They swapped the 12th pick for the 32nd, allowing Detroit to move up and select the most explosive playmaker in the class: Alabama wide receiver Jameson Williams.
The Vikings’ decision to swap picks with the Lions was bizarre for a couple of reasons. First, and most obvious, is the whole in-division thing. It’s taboo for a team to trade within its own conference, let alone the same division. But, hey, trust the numbers, right?
Then comes the actual trade itself. Minnesota received the 32nd, 34th and 66th picks from the Lions for No. 12 and 46. Even the casual fan recognizes how bad that value is. Calculators lie sometimes. Draft trade charts are dated and inexact. And sometimes, it just takes common sense to know what a good trade offer looks like. This was a classic case of overanalysis.
The Vikings used their first-round pick – No. 32 – on Georgia safety Lewis Cine and kept trading down in the second round until eventually selecting Clemson cornerback Andrew Booth Jr., LSU guard Ed Ingram and Oklahoma linebacker Brian Asamoah in the third.
By the way, we’ll come back to the Vikings’ second-round trades in a second.
The Lions, meanwhile, flipped the trade into an elite offensive weapon. Williams will come back to haunt Minnesota’s front office two times per year and remind rookie General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah that his analytics-over-rivalry strategy belongs in a burning dumpster.
Sadly, we aren’t finished. Adofo-Mensah committed what may have been the ultimate sin of the 2022 NFL Draft in the second round. He allowed the Green Bay Packers to trade up and draft a wide receiver for Aaron Rodgers: North Dakota State’s Christian Watson.
The Packers focused on defense with their two first-round picks, which left football media fearing another draft would come and go without investment in Rodgers. Had the Vikings not double-dipped with trades in the NFC North, we could be looking at a Green Bay roster with only Sammy Watkins as a potential go-to-guy. Now, Rodgers will throw dimes to Watson, one of the most physically gifted pass-catchers in this year’s class.
Two trades in the NFC North. Two trades that resulted in rival offenses adding explosive downfield playmakers. The Vikings expedited Detroit’s rebuild and they gave Rodgers a sportscar on a rookie contract.
Way to go (insert sarcastic slow-clap).
The poor Chicago Bears, a team that’s already behind the proverbial eight-ball on offense. They didn’t deserve this. Second-year quarterback Justin Fields doesn’t have much aside from receiver Darnell Mooney to throw to this year and now he has to match big plays in an NFC North that boasts Williams and Watson. And it’s not like the Packers and Lions can pop bottles of champagne, either. Green Bay has to face Williams; Detroit has to face Watson; Finkle is Einhorn. You get the point.
But the biggest loser in the NFC North is the Vikings. And they did it to themselves. Imagine Minnesota’s offense with Williams lining up across from Justin Jefferson? Imagine if Hamilton was in their secondary to, you know, stop those opposing NFC North offenses? Sure, Cine is a good player and he’ll be a good starter. But Hamilton has special upside. Williams has special upside. Now, we’ll see what a Vikings secondary without Hamilton can do to stop NFC North offenses with Williams and Watson.
This didn’t have to happen. Minnesota didn’t need to blow up the NFC North. They could’ve played nice, stayed in their lane and done what every team throughout modern draft history does: don’t make trades within your division that will haunt you for years to come.

@purplefaithful said:
@AGRforever said:
@Vikergirl said:

They get a pass this year regardless of what happens.  If going into year two we're saying WTF every Sunday, it wont take 2-3 seasons. 

Yep. I've said as much in other threads but the idea that FO's and draft classes get 3 years to be judged on as a sort of grace period is antiquated and quite frankly idiotic. Did the Wilfs give Spielman 3 years to see how last year's draft class did? No. We as fans can preach being patient and I agree that's a good thing, but winning is the only thing. I think with about 80% certainty we'll know how good or how bad this draft class is after just this one season. The # of players who do nothing in their rookie year and then become All-Pro's or even just very good players is almost zero. We'll know pretty quick how KAM's first draft went. And if it went poorly? Then you hope he learns from it. I don't think he should be canned even if this draft was a disaster. He's learning so you give him time, but I think as far as player evaluations go, those can be made pretty quickly.