Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vike draft discussion -- Peter King

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...eter-king/

Also a discussion about the Chargers schedule release.

KAM played the numbers game. He increased the odds analytically. Whether that's the right decision or not, it's kind of why he was hired, to make outside the box decisions like this. Players need to play and play well, that's the case for every team in the Draft. 

Thanks for sharing I'm glad I waded through and read Kwesi's comments.  I like everything he said in response to the inter divisional trade downs and do not disagree at all.  Except I think we should have received more or at least given up less for the Lions move down.  The Packer move down and Kwesi's rationale is spot on and we ended up with the guy we wanted anyway - Booth.  Reminds me of the gamble Spelly took last year with the first round move down and still got the Tackle we probably would have taken anyway - Darrisaw.  

Overall, I like Kwesi's moves in the draft and free agency etc but I think he has done OK/decent.  I really don't see anything that Spelly would have done except I think Spelly would have had a better deal at 12 (with his Brothers team) I don't think I ever saw  Spelly not get at least equal or more value from all his trades - again I'll reference Darrisaw last year.

Of course, I am really pulling for him and I really like the hiring of KOC as HC just like I really liked Spelly hiring Zimmer back in the day.  I was done with Zimmer 3 years ago.  I wanted an Offensive and younger mind so KOC fits that bill.  I think we need to manage expectation on KOC being a rookie HC and never really calling plays.  

I mean I guess we'll see what happens in three years, but Kwesi certainly opened himself up for additional criticism if this blows up and these draft picks and all the trades end up helping out our rivals more then us. It was not considered to be a great draft so trading down and acquiring additional lower picks in a draft not deep on impact players was strange on top of allowing Detroit and Green Bay to move up. He'll either be the smartest man in the room or the dumbest man in the room. There's really no in between with these draft decisions. 

We had traded several times with the Lions during the draft in previous years and there was never any issues that were brought up by anyone regarding it - the difference is that in those trades we won out on the trades in regards to value.  If Kwesi had gotten the value you would expect with trading down 20 spots in the first round, this would be a none issue.  For someone who is suppose to be an analytics guy, he is not very good at maximizing capital.  

"I’m not dumb. I know every touchdown catch [Williams] scores against us, TV will show me or show my name. That’s life. If my feelings are going to get in the way of us making decisions to improve the team, I shouldn’t be in this seat."

Spot on. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
"I’m not dumb. I know every touchdown catch [Williams] scores against us, TV will show me or show my name. That’s life. If my feelings are going to get in the way of us making decisions to improve the team, I shouldn’t be in this seat."

Spot on. 
Yep. You start feeling you need to explain yourself to a bunch of fans at a bar, go do something else. 

KAM probably getting to the point where he's tired of hearing all the backlash about the trades...

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
KAM probably getting to the point where he's tired of hearing all the backlash about the trades...

I'll admit, I had a man crush on Kyle Hamilton.  But at this point I'm honestly over it.  Its not like we can change anything about them and we've got what we've got. 

It's fascinating how polarizing he is. Change was needed and yet some people are pissed at the change. Also nothing is overnight. He inherited a mess and that's a factor. The scouting department couldn't be altered before the draft and that's a factor. There is some outside the box stuff and there is some typical stuff that KAM is doing. The trades with division rivals really stand out but it shows some cajones. Time will tell how it plays out. There is a new VP of football operations now too. I am looking forward to seeing how things work out.