Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guru Mock 2.0
I would not trade up for Stingley.

I would pounce on Stingley at 12 but I do not want to give up anything for him.  I would probably do that at 9 if it were Sauce available.

We are going to have several top players drop to us at 12 and this is the perfect spot to take advantage of another team's desperate need.  Last year, at pick 14, Spelly dropped back and still got the guy many of us wanted after Slater went before our pick (whom I think was our #1 target).  I was also a big advocate (only Smile who wanted to move up into that 10 range for Fields but that is because that was a loaded first round QB talent that hasn't been seen in decades.  This year's crop is really devoid of any first-round talent at QB but desperate teams do desperate things which means they over evaluate their need and reach (I'll have to Ponder on that one a minute).

Back to this year's draft.  We are in a excellent spot to move back and have several more lottery chances at the draft table.  I am also from the camp that our roster is not loaded and only a player or two away.  We have a good amount of talent but most is on the age decline/injury slope.  So if we could slide down and pick up several lottery chances to fill some age spots Smile then that is the way I lean.  But that does require another team inline at the lottery machine.    

Spelly got very lucky trading down last year...

Viking nation would have been in flames if he wasn't able to land Darrisaw. 

I'll say this - if they move up for Stingley? Its because they have the best insights of any NFL team on him, right on their coaching staff. 

That said, am curious to see how this new team executes their 1st nfl draft. A trade-up would shock the heck out of me. IT hasn't been the Viking way very often. 

I was getting ready to hate the move up, but that draft worked great.  Now, do Hall and Austin really fall to 46 and 109? Austin is tiny but he is absolutely dynamic with the ball.  This would be a great draft.

If we could trade down and pick up a 1 next year and get McDuffie, Booth (assuming he checks out medically), or Elam, that may be even better.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

I'll say this - if they move up for Stingley? Its because they have the best insights of any NFL team on him, right on their coaching staff. 

That said, am curious to see how this new team executes their 1st nfl draft. A trade-up would shock the heck out of me. IT hasn't been the Viking way very often. 
I'm curious too. This is his first time running a draft room. Rick was a master of maneuvering around a draft to optimize value. Moving up for players like Dalvin Cook, Harrison Smith, and Tyler Conklin, to name a few, and moving down when the value wasn't there. Darrisaw is a good example. But also moving down to take Gladney (who should still be on the team), a move that netted DJ Wonnum and KJ Osborne. Or the move down a couple times to take Alexander Mattison with the last pick on day two, because he was the target and there was no need to take him at our original slot. That netted traded assets, along with Oli Udoh. 

Love our new GM, but the fact that he was zero experience doing any of this has me a little concerned. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Stingley is boom or bust, but I'd have a hard time passing on him.

Jermaine Johnson is my most underrated player at the top of the draft. Logan Hall is my most underrated player in the draft. I think this guy has All Pro potential and you can get him in the 30 to 50 range. And I think too many people are giving us OLBs when we probably need a 5T more. If Tomlinson and Phillips are our DT and NT, and Hunter and Smith are our pass rushers, we still need that 5T that can stop the run and rush the passer. Right now that's Armon Watts. He's looked pretty good, but Hall would be a big upgrade--at the very least be very good in rotation. 

I think the Vikings will probably use next year's draft to replace Thielen, but I like using this year's draft to take a stab in the middle rounds on a high upside receiver. Who knows, if we hit, we won't have to do it next year. My stab is Tyquon Thornton--6-2, 181, 4.28 forty, really good hands. More track star than football star, but it's worth a shot. 

I'll have to look into Rodriguez. Good mock as always!
Thanks! I am on-board with Johnson as long as fans understand he is an all-around EDGE player. His biggest upside will be as an elite edge setter vs. a guy who chases the QB around all afternoon. I think they will add a 5T but adding at least a 3rd high-end EDGE player or 5T is a necessity. Za'Darius is flexible enough that he buys you the ability to add either high and the other a bit later on. 

I like Thornton as well. I actually was going to mock him but asked, how is he different (skillset) from ISM? 

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
Where do you have Hamilton going in your mock, Geoff? I'm starting to get a bit more and more enamored with him, and have him right along with Stingley and Jermaine Johnson as guys I'd love with our 1st pick.

I'm sure Donatell can get pretty creative with a 3 man lineup at Safety with Bynum playing a hybrid corner/safety role maybe.
To be completely honest, I have no idea where Hamilton is going to go. Any team could rationalize making him a top-10 pick. I do wonder if a team will ultimately decide he's the fairway choice vs. some of the more polarizing players and take him. The Texans at #13 also seem like his floor to me at least. They lose Reid in FA and need a defensive leader. Caserio likely will also not downgrade positional value at S since the Patriots have always appreciated their flexibility. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

I'm curious too. This is his first time running a draft room. Rick was a master of maneuvering around a draft to optimize value. Moving up for players like Dalvin Cook, Harrison Smith, and Tyler Conklin, to name a few, and moving down when the value wasn't there. Darrisaw is a good example. But also moving down to take Gladney (who should still be on the team), a move that netted DJ Wonnum and KJ Osborne. Or the move down a couple times to take Alexander Mattison with the last pick on day two, because he was the target and there was no need to take him at our original slot. That netted traded assets, along with Oli Udoh. 

Love our new GM, but the fact that he was zero experience doing any of this has me a little concerned. 
I wouldn't be too concerned since there are enough tenured members of the FO/personnel staff to keep him honest. The questions I have are more methodical. Will they be a team that is ultra aggressive, will they truly be a BPA team, or will they manipulate the board to fill their needs? We may not even know until there are 2-3 drafts under his belt. 

The Browns and 49ers typically tend to stay put in round 1. Grigson did the same with the Colts. So I do wonder if that will kind of be their initial M.O. But anything is possible. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

I wouldn't be too concerned since there are enough tenured members of the FO/personnel staff to keep him honest. The questions I have are more methodical. Will they be a team that is ultra aggressive, will they truly be a BPA team, or will they manipulate the board to fill their needs? We may not even know until there are 2-3 drafts under his belt. 

The Browns and 49ers typically tend to stay put in round 1. Grigson did the same with the Colts. So I do wonder if that will kind of be their initial M.O. But anything is possible. 

Knowing that the data says trading down typically results in better value, I think he'll do it if he gets a good enough offer.

Chad Reuter had a really good mock the other day where the Vikings trade down with the Steelers for their 1st round pick next year. We take Booth and get Cine in the 2nd. Love that for several reasons. Chief among them is that the Steelers could be really awful next year. I'd probably take Elam over Booth tho. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

I read a blurb somewhere that the Vikings haven't traded-up in the first round since 1987???

That netted them DJ Dozier btw...Maybe that's why it hasn't happened since?  :p

https://www.profootballarchives.com/1987nfldraft.html

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

I read a blurb somewhere that the Vikings haven't traded-up in the first round since 1987???

That netted them DJ Dozier btw...Maybe that's why it hasn't happened since?  :p

https://www.profootballarchives.com/1987nfldraft.html

Yeah DJ Dozier, running back out of Penn St.  He thought he could play two professional sports (football and baseball) and failed at both...