Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutting Cousins cap hit in half without adding money
Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
I think they want to avoid this as it is merely passing the pain to next year.  Imagine you do as they suggest, have 20m hit the cap this year and 25m hit the cap next year.  Next year, you have 25m allocated to QB next year and no Cousins.  Then you sign Cousins to a 35m contract 2023 and now you have $60m allocate to Cousins.  Now, it would make sense if you planned on drafting a rookie in the  1sr round.......
If they resigned him they wouldn’t have that cap hit so it wouldn’t be $60 million. 
Although not ideal, this is an option that has some appeal. We know they’ve made an extension offer. Ideally they’d like to sign him longer term to a more cap friendly deal. If he isn’t willing, this is probably the best option to still be able to improve and retool the defense. It gets us to a much better QB draft next year and gives more development time for Mond. Essentially, Cousins could serve the role of “bridge” QB. As said in the article, it would also give the chance to see how the new system and Cousins mesh without having to commit long term. 
The cap is extremely flexible and we are fortunate to have an excellent cap guy. 

If they move money onto next year's cap I think it'll be about $15M. But they will end up adding the maximum of 4 void years to spread that out. Of course if he isn't on the 2023 roster is accelerates. But it allows for them to still do a reasonable extension. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
If they move money onto next year's cap I think it'll be about $15M. But they will end up adding the maximum of 4 void years to spread that out. Of course if he isn't on the 2023 roster is accelerates. But it allows for them to still do a reasonable extension. 
Geoff....Is there any interest/appetite from the Vikings on the Watson sweepstakes???

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Geoff....Is there any interest/appetite from the Vikings on the Watson sweepstakes???
Yes & no kind of at the same time. Everyone knows he's better than Kirk so its worth seeing what the cost is. I really don't think trading 3 firsts + is prohibitive for a top 5 QB under the age of 30. Its just more complicated for the Vikings than other teams since you'd need to move Kirk at the same time, which isn't a shoe-in. 

That long for, there is interest but it is harder for MN to pull that trigger than say a team like NO, TB, or CAR. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Yes & no kind of at the same time. Everyone knows he's better than Kirk so its worth seeing what the cost is. I really don't think trading 3 firsts + is prohibitive for a top 5 QB under the age of 30. Its just more complicated for the Vikings than other teams since you'd need to move Kirk at the same time, which isn't a shoe-in. 

That long for, there is interest but it is harder for MN to pull that trigger than say a team like NO, TB, or CAR. 
Yah - much harder for the Vikings no doubt...I would be awfully tempted by TB if I was Watson. 

Broncos gave up this for a 33 year old R. Wilson:

Seattle will send Wilson and a fourth-round pick to the Broncos in exchange for quarterback Drew Lock, tight end Noah Fant, defensive lineman Shelby Harris, two first-round picks, two second-round picks and a fifth-round pick.

Watson is only 26 (27 in Sept):  I think a team is going to have to give more than the above given for Wilson.  

I'm sure Kwesi is doing his homework at least.  If we still had Spelly, I really doubt he would even entertain the thought.  He tied his wagon to Kirk.  

Quote: @"JustinTime18™" said:
The cap is only difficult if you've never played Tetris.
Da…  Wink 

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:
I think they want to avoid this as it is merely passing the pain to next year.  Imagine you do as they suggest, have 20m hit the cap this year and 25m hit the cap next year.  Next year, you have 25m allocated to QB next year and no Cousins.  Then you sign Cousins to a 35m contract 2023 and now you have $60m allocate to Cousins.  Now, it would make sense if you planned on drafting a rookie in the  1sr round.......
If they resigned him they wouldn’t have that cap hit so it wouldn’t be $60 million. 
Although not ideal, this is an option that has some appeal. We know they’ve made an extension offer. Ideally they’d like to sign him longer term to a more cap friendly deal. If he isn’t willing, this is probably the best option to still be able to improve and retool the defense. It gets us to a much better QB draft next year and gives more development time for Mond. Essentially, Cousins could serve the role of “bridge” QB. As said in the article, it would also give the chance to see how the new system and Cousins mesh without having to commit long term. 
The cap is extremely flexible and we are fortunate to have an excellent cap guy. 
In the scenario presented you would have a 60 million hit,  the void year money doesn't go away,  it still hits the cap next year in addition to what ever gets added on for next year, which in this scenario was 35 million which really would be likely on a 1 year deal.  Of course they wouldn't do that, they would just do any new deal with new void years to spread that 35 over 2 years so part of that hit would be on the 24 cap....and the can goes tumbling down the road.

Quote: @"minny65" said:

Seattle will send Wilson and a fourth-round pick to the Broncos in exchange for quarterback Drew Lock, tight end Noah Fant, defensive lineman Shelby Harris, two first-round picks, two second-round picks and a fifth-round pick.

Watson is only 26 (27 in Sept):  I think a team is going to have to give more than the above given for Wilson.  

I'm sure Kwesi is doing his homework at least.  If we still had Spelly, I really doubt he would even entertain the thought.  He tied his wagon to Kirk.  
Actually, I think Spielman would be all over Watson. It wasn't Cousins he tied his wagon to as much as the idea that you need a veteran QB. Or at the very least, you're much better off going that route than sitting at the craps table. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"minny65" said:

Actually, I think Spielman would be all over Watson. It wasn't Cousins he tied his wagon to as much as the idea that you need a veteran QB. Or at the very least, you're much better off going that route than sitting at the craps table. 
I think Spelly would have been all over a Watson type but not under our current situation. 
I also think that prevented him from seriously drafting a QB high over the last 2 years because he is/was responsible for the Kirk contract.  He still believed that he could surround Kirk and compete and I think he would have stuck to that thought process.  That was one of my dilemma's of really liking Spelly (I still think he is a Top GM and will have a position in short order) but sticking with his decision of signing Kirk and then extended him.  Again, IMO I think that prevented him from truly being open to all QB options - FA's, draft etc...

I posted numerous times pre-draft last year the scenario that played out.  I really don't think Spelly was ever going to draft any of those Top QB's or even considered moving up for one of them.  The phone call to Carolina with a non-serious offer was for Slater - again IMO.  

Looks like we may have differing opinion againSmile  I know we both supported Spelly but understood the decision for a clean house.