Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutting Cousins cap hit in half without adding money
Some in the Viking world have been talking about ways the Vikings can reduce Cousins' $45M cap hit. Here's one take from the OTC guy. 

There is a way, though, that Cousins’ cap number for 2022 could be lowered by as much as $27.104 million without committing extra dollars to him. That could be accomplished by adding four voidable years to his contract to absorb additional money from 2022.
If Cousins were to agree to it, the Vikings could lower his base salary of $35 million in 2022 to as low as the NFL minimum contract amount of $1.12 million. Then they could pay immediately the remaining $33.88 million in a signing bonus that would be divided for cap purposes among 2022 and the four voidable years on his contract at $6.776 million per year. That would drop Cousins’ cap number in 2022 from $45.166 million to $18.062 million and would easily get them under the cap by Wednesday.
“He would have to cooperate for that, but if they were going to keep him for the year, I think he’d be fine doing that because it’s only going to benefit him if the team has better players there and he has a better chance to make the playoffs because he’s going to be a a free agent next year if he doesn’t make an extension,’’ said Jason Fitzgerald, a cap analyst who runs the website OvertheCap.com. “They could say, ‘We’ll give you a favorable date even on the void. We’ll give you five days after the Super Bowl, so you have clarity right away about doing an extension.’ … I think that’s a strong possibility if he’s going to remain on the team.”
If the Vikings were to get Cousins’ blessing and do that reworked deal, they still could sign him to an extension at a later time. That would give the Vikings’ new coaching staff and Cousins time to work together.
Such a maneuver would commit the Vikings to Cousins for 2022. A trade would be off the table since any team that dealt for Cousins would be responsible only for his base salary.
The ability to put voidable years in contracts long has been in the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement and has been used by teams, including the Vikings, much more recently. That’s primarily because the coronavirus pandemic resulted in the cap being lowered from $198.2 million in 2020 to $182.5 million in 2021 and not being as high this year as it would be have been had there not have been so much lost revenue. But team officials know the cap will rise significantly in future seasons.
Fitzgerald projects the cap to be between $225 million and $230 million in 2023 and to be about $260 million in 2024 when the lucrative new television deals hit the books. So if the Vikings were to spread out Cousins’ money with as much as $6.776 million cap hits from 2023-26, even if he’s no longer on the team, that might not be a huge issue.
https://www.twincities.com/2022/03/12/vi...extension/

I would not be surprised at all if this is what happens. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
It never ceases to amaze me how many ways there are to shift, move and manipulate cap hits. That PFTW guy keeps saying the "cap is a myth." I really kind of is. 

So with this option open to the Vikings, it makes you wonder what they're up to. Knowing this is something they can do last minute, maybe they're waiting until then to see how things play out. To see what kind of offers come in for Hunter, even Cousins. And just how much are the Texans asking for Watson? The moon? Less? And can we trust these guys? I'm reminded that neither KAM or KOC have ever done any of this before. 

Our roster is obviously part of our appeal to Watson. Might be a bait and switch to lure him here only to say "Psych! Half of those guys are no longer on the team."

The cap is only difficult if you've never played Tetris.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
It never ceases to amaze me how many ways there are to shift, move and manipulate cap hits. That PFTW guy keeps saying the "cap is a myth." I really kind of is. 

So with this option open to the Vikings, it makes you wonder what they're up to. Knowing this is something they can do last minute, maybe they're waiting until then to see how things play out. To see what kind of offers come in for Hunter, even Cousins. And just how much are the Texans asking for Watson? The moon? Less? And can we trust these guys? I'm reminded that neither KAM or KOC have ever done any of this before. 

Our roster is obviously part of our appeal to Watson. Might be a bait and switch to lure him here only to say "Psych! Half of those guys are no longer on the team."
For this 45 year fan?

KAM/KOC are starting off with me having a feeling of high expectation. An expectation they'll become an elite front office/staff.  

Hopefully they'll confirm those expectations over the next 2-3 seasons. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

For this 45 year fan?

KAM/KOC are starting off with me having a feeling of high expectation. An expectation they'll become an elite front office/staff.  

I have the same expectation, but sometimes I have to remind myself that they're rookies. Hoping that getting fleeced is not part of their learning curve. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

For this 45 year fan?

I have the same expectation, but sometimes I have to remind myself that they're rookies. Hoping that getting fleeced is not part of their learning curve. 
And them being rookies makes me very thankful that we have Brez…

I think they want to avoid this as it is merely passing the pain to next year.  Imagine you do as they suggest, have 20m hit the cap this year and 25m hit the cap next year.  Next year, you have 25m allocated to QB next year and no Cousins.  Then you sign Cousins to a 35m contract 2023 and now you have $60m allocate to Cousins.  Now, it would make sense if you planned on drafting a rookie in the  1sr round.......

The gaslighting that has been going on the last few years is that Zim was a defensive guru, yet in reality A) the last two years, our D has been a bottom feeder, adn B) three out of the last four years years were actually Cousin's best statistical years, save for 2016 at the Redskins.  In Zim's "run first" offense.  Imagine if you will, a world in which the Vikings D would actually get more 3 and outs, could actually stop anybody, and put the Offense back on the field more.  I'm on the fence about Cousins, but looking at the facts and the context of what he's been allowed to do by his coaches Offensive Coordinator(s), again, in the entire Offense, Defense and Special Teams...there are worse options.  The grass ain't always greener.