Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins Trade?
so your saying there is no sauce

Just my guess, but Kwesi's going to want to build this thing for the long term with he and OConnell's own vision, and that's a long term vision...not just this year. I don't think they will want to drag this on with Cousins or keep revisiting this same issue every offseason. I'm guessing they will try to get him to sign an extension but if the numbers don't work they will trade him. Right now Kirk's let it be known he won't take a reduction in salary. So if that's true, I'd expect him to be traded and for the Vikings to get off the Cousins salary carousel. I think that's the best option but that's also banking on Kwesi and OConnell bringing in their own guy at quarterback and getting it right in the next couple years. That's a big gamble, but its also a gamble shuffling Cousins salary while trying to sign our own free agents and upgrade the overall roster talent. 

Food for thought; Mike Zimmer had a 39-25 record with two division titles before Kirk Cousins got to Minnesota. Did that with Bridgewater, Bradford, and Case Keenum. Zimmers record in four seasons with Cousins...33-31 with zero division titles. We have not been a better team with Kirk Cousins as our quarterback. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Food for thought; Mike Zimmer had a 39-25 record with two division titles before Kirk Cousins got to Minnesota. Did that with Bridgewater, Bradford, and Case Keenum. Zimmers record in four seasons with Cousins...33-31 with zero division titles. We have not been a better team with Kirk Cousins as our quarterback. 
A-fricken-men.  While there were definitely issues with Zimmer's tenure here the last two years, I think it was clear that he didn't want Cousins from the beginning and Spielman bringing him here ruined the relationship between the coach and GM.  Then, when you add on Cousins' exorbitant salary and uninspiring play and leadership, it was the beginning of the end of the Zimmer era in Minnesota.

Cousins is a coach killer IMO.

Quote: @"supafreak84: We have not been a better team with Kirk Cousins as our quarterback. 
interesting observation, there is probably other circumstances that effected that record so not sure I would pin that on Kirk.  if you factor in this season and the piss poor defense in the end of the first and second half of games that record of 4 years with cousins probably falls more in line with the 1st 4 years without him.

Just my guess, but Kwesi's going to want to build this thing for the long term with he and OConnell's own vision, and that's a long term vision...not just this year. I don't think they will want to drag this on with Cousins or keep revisiting this same issue every offseason. I'm guessing they will try to get him to sign an extension but if the numbers don't work they will trade him. Right now Kirk's let it be known he won't take a reduction in salary. So if that's true, I'd expect him to be traded and for the Vikings to get off the Cousins salary carousel. I think that's the best option but that's also banking on Kwesi and OConnell bringing in their own guy at quarterback and getting it right in the next couple years. That's a big gamble, but its also a gamble shuffling Cousins salary while trying to sign our own free agents and upgrade the overall roster talent. 

have you seen anything to support that claim?  I saw that on another site,  but there was no linked support so I didnt share it here,  it claimed that we wants a 40 mill per year average if he is going to play ball with the Vikings on an extension to create cap space this year... again NO SUPPORTING EVIDENCE that this was actually said.

We need a button on here for when a discussion turns into the "Zimmer had a record of X before Cousins and X with Cousins" so that we can halt the conversation. Team Game.

Quote: @PapaScott said:
@"supafreak84: We have not been a better team with Kirk Cousins as our quarterback. 
interesting observation, there is probably other circumstances that effected that record so not sure I would pin that on Kirk.  if you factor in this season and the piss poor defense in the end of the first and second half of games that record of 4 years with cousins probably falls more in line with the 1st 4 years without him.
also the effects of spending first round picks on O players as well as losing other middle round picks ( like a 2)  on trades that didnt work out in our favor.  for quite a while the Vikings went hard after defense,  but then started to coast a bit and IMO that led to 2 things,  the D became high priced,  and over rated based on previous years and zimmers reputation.

Quote: @PapaScott said:
@"supafreak84: We have not been a better team with Kirk Cousins as our quarterback. 

Not all Kirk's fault, but his salary has caused ripples on the roster. Just looking at the 2019 roster for example, there's a lot of guys that left in free agency and one in particular that forced his way out in partial because of his relationship with Cousins (Diggs). Linval Joseph, Rhodes, Ant Harris, Trae Waynes, Rudolph, Riley Reiff, etc. We've had to use draft capital trying to replace these positions at a bargain price because we have been paying Kirk like a top 5 QB. I think this was the big problem Zimmer had. Paying that kind of money to a QB that hadn't won anything at the expense of some key roster pieces. This is going to continue to be an issue going forward with his contract and I just don't see Kwesi and all his analytical accumen buying into that formula. If Cousins won't "play ball" with us at this point, then facilitating his exit via trade makes all the sense in the world. I don't care if that means we suffer next year with Kellen Mond, Kenny Pickett, or some free agent stop gap under center. Getting off that contract is the real prize and the best way to build the roster moving forward. 

@PapaScott said:

Not all Kirk's fault, but his salary has caused ripples on the roster. Just looking at the 2019 roster for example, there's a lot of guys that left in free agency and one in particular that forced his way out in partial because of his relationship with Cousins (Diggs). Linval Joseph, Rhodes, Ant Harris, Trae Waynes, Rudolph, Riley Reiff, etc. We've had to use draft capital trying to replace these positions at a bargain price because we have been paying Kirk like a top 5 QB. I think this was the big problem Zimmer had. Paying that kind of money to a QB that hadn't won anything at the expense of some key roster pieces. This is going to continue to be an issue going forward with his contract and I just don't see Kwesi and all his analytical accumen buying into that formula. If Cousins won't "play ball" with us at this point, then facilitating his exit via trade makes all the sense in the world. I don't care if that means we suffer next year with Kellen Mond, Kenny Pickett, or some free agent stop gap under center. Getting off that contract is the real prize and the best way to build the roster moving forward. 
OR  Kirk realizes what he has here and quits playing the mercenary role and takes a deal that allows the KAM to put the pieces around him to make a real contender.  ( with the depth to see a real run )

Let me throw a possible trade scenario out there. It's been widely reported the Redskins...err, Commando's will trade "anybody and everybody" to secure a upper level quarterback this offseason. Nobody is off limits. With that in mind, and the fact that they have 32 million dollars in cap space..what about this:

Commanders acquire:

- QB Kirk Cousins
- DE Danielle Hunter

Vikings acquire:

- DE/OLB Chase Young
- 1st round pick in 2022 (11th)
- Conditional 2nd round pick in 2023 that could bump up to a 1st depending on Cousins performance/playing time 

I think this is a move that would be hugely beneficial to both teams.