Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sooooooooooooooooo
Quote: @JR44 said:
He looked pretty uncomfortable and tried all he could to change the subject and get around it, that was far from any kind of ringing endorsement.  I have rarely heard a head coach give a press conference and not say that he had already talked to the QB, heck the Miami coach called Tua on the plane.  You would think that a guy who coached someone for 3 years would have already talked to Cousins and would then say on these interviews that he and Cousins have talked and discussed how they are going to move forward.  After that interview, I would definitely put my money on us having a new QB. 
Yeah idk what’s going to happen but it’s like I posted in another thread I just do not see how you can overhaul the defense AND extend Kirk AND do it all without seriously hindering the cap in the future.

Is our 2022 outlook worth mortgaging the future for? Most would say no. 

Going to be a lot of disappointed people when Cousins signs a long term contract. Kwesi, KOC and ownership want Cousins. He a perfect fit for what KOC wants to run and KOC has said as much.

With that said, it’s the middle of negotiations. He’s going to temper his words as would Cousins. At least until it’s a done deal, expect more of the same. 

Every local MN guy is trying to create the “Heard it here first” take on KC so that they get the credit. No one wants to see it more than Adam and Mackey. Same stuff different day until something substantial comes out from someones camp

cousins will be extended 3 more years probably.  

We Will find out whether Kirk is willing to sign a team friendly deal, but I have my doubts.
 I personally like Cousins, think he is a good QB, however he IS NOT the franchise, (unlike the diva pussy from GB) If he demands too much money, put him up for trade with one of the six or seven clubs that feel they are “win now” and take a couple players and a couple picks and lets move forward.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@JR44 said:
He looked pretty uncomfortable and tried all he could to change the subject and get around it, that was far from any kind of ringing endorsement.  I have rarely heard a head coach give a press conference and not say that he had already talked to the QB, heck the Miami coach called Tua on the plane.  You would think that a guy who coached someone for 3 years would have already talked to Cousins and would then say on these interviews that he and Cousins have talked and discussed how they are going to move forward.  After that interview, I would definitely put my money on us having a new QB. 
Yeah idk what’s going to happen but it’s like I posted in another thread I just do not see how you can overhaul the defense AND extend Kirk AND do it all without seriously hindering the cap in the future.

You can overhaul the defense two ways: Trading Kirk and extending Kirk. I'm going to say that extending and trading would trim about the same amount from his 22 cap hit.

Extending Kirk
Gives you the cap space needed to add pieces to the defense. Vikings would be immediately competitive and likely contend for the divisional title. Does it add money onto future years? Yes, but probably not by more than the amount the cap is supposed to increase over those years. 

Trading Kirk
Gives you the cap space needed to add pieces to the defense. It cleans up future years and allows you to sign free agents with much more headroom. Problem is, obviously, you now don't have a QB. And history tells us it can take years, decades even, to land on a guy you can win with. Last QB the Vikings had who was comparable to Cousins was Daunte Culpepper 20 years ago. Jets have been looking since Namath. 

When you think of struggling franchises, it's almost always because they haven't found that guy. Browns, Bears, Jets, Lions, Texans, Dolphins, Raiders. Sometimes teams "think" they have a guy: RGIII, Mayfield, Watson, Luck, Bridgewater...but after a handful of years, the questions come. Struggles, injuries, off field issues. Others are just all out busts: Winston, Trubisky, Mariota, Haskins, Darnold, Rosen, Goff, Wentz, Bortles, Manziel, RGIII, Sanchez...

Bottom line
If you have a guy as good and as durable as Cousins, you do everything you can to keep him. Some look at what the Rams did by bringing in Stafford as an argument for going out and getting your guy. Folks, the Vikings are the Lions in that scenario, not the Rams. 

Well said @MaroonBells....

So to re-cap:

1). The cap is going up, the productivity and durability are there @ QB today. Viking fans cant say that too often the last 20 years. 

2). Extending KC buys KAM time to procure a franchise QB of tomorrow and gives KOC a chance to win now - not 3 years from now.

3). Wilfs are on record stating they believe this is a team built to win now - that doesnt strike me as vision for a team with a big question mark at who's pulling the trigger @ QB and trading KC.  

4). As far as take aways from a KOC live interview? Forget gleaning any insights. Even as in-experienced as he is, the new HC isnt going to do or say anything during an uber sensitive time; while negotiations are going on. 

Outside of the coaching staff, KC is job #1 - and I wouldn't be surprised if significant negotiations are and have occurred. I

suspect both Aaron Rogers and KC will both be decided prior to 3/16 Free Agency. Both will remain with their teams. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@JR44 said:

You can overhaul the defense two ways: Trading Kirk and extending Kirk. I'm going to say that extending and trading would trim about the same amount from his 22 cap hit.

Extending Kirk
Gives you the cap space needed to add pieces to the defense. Vikings would be immediately competitive and likely contend for the divisional title. Does it add money onto future years? Yes, but probably not by more than the amount the cap is supposed to increase over those years. 

Trading Kirk
Gives you the cap space needed to add pieces to the defense. It cleans up future years and allows you to sign free agents with much more headroom. Problem is, obviously, you now don't have a QB. And history tells us it can take years, decades even, to land on a guy you can win with. Last QB the Vikings had who was comparable to Cousins was Daunte Culpepper 20 years ago. Jets have been looking since Namath. 

When you think of struggling franchises, it's almost always because they haven't found that guy. Browns, Bears, Jets, Lions, Texans, Dolphins, Raiders. Sometimes teams "think" they have a guy: RGIII, Mayfield, Watson, Luck, Bridgewater...but after a handful of years, the questions come. Struggles, injuries, off field issues. Others are just all out busts: Winston, Trubisky, Mariota, Haskins, Darnold, Rosen, Goff, Wentz, Bortles, Manziel, RGIII, Sanchez...

Bottom line
If you have a guy as good and as durable as Cousins, you do everything you can to keep him. Some look at what the Rams did by bringing in Stafford as an argument for going out and getting your guy. Folks, the Vikings are the Lions in that scenario, not the Rams. 
Disagree pretty strongly with the majority of this haha, but I hope whatever the Vikings brass decide is the right decision.

@pattersaur said:
@JR44 said:

Extending Kirk

Trading Kirk

Bottom line
Agreed. But the issue is there isn't a very good reason for Kirk to renegotiate at this point. His best outcomes is playing out 2022 on his current deal and then accessing how high the salary cap rises. The Vikings also can't tag him so they'll have to compete with everyone else for his services which means big $$$ and player friendly terms.

So that basically leaves you with the only option this year being to add void years, I don't see why he would disagree with that, moving some money into future seasons on the cap. Kirk still gets is upfront. Thats likely the way they'll clear $10-15M for 2022. It also doesn't lock them into Kirk long-term. Ideal, no. Best option if Kirk won't sign a new deal? Probably. 

I don't think they'll actively try to trade Kirk. But if someone makes a compelling offer you have to consider it. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@JR44 said:

Extending Kirk

Trading Kirk

Bottom line
Agreed. But the issue is there isn't a very good reason for Kirk to renegotiate at this point. His best outcomes is playing out 2022 on his current deal and then accessing how high the salary cap rises. The Vikings also can't tag him so they'll have to compete with everyone else for his services which means big $$$ and player friendly terms.

So that basically leaves you with the only option this year being to add void years, I don't see why he would disagree with that, moving some money into future seasons on the cap. Kirk still gets is upfront. Thats likely the way they'll clear $10-15M for 2022. It also doesn't lock them into Kirk long-term. Ideal, no. Best option if Kirk won't sign a new deal? Probably. 

I don't think they'll actively try to trade Kirk. But if someone makes a compelling offer you have to consider it. 

That's a good point about how next offseason will be the best time to hit on the market. Void years might be the best solution for both sides. 

Also agree that the Vikings will listen to offers. They'd be fools if they didn't. But I have to think all offers must include some kind of bridge. I don't think the Vikings want to saddle Dalvin, JJ and ISJ with Kellen Mond or a rookie. The bridge, the QB in '22, that's where a trade gets hard to see. There's always Teddy I guess, who is a free agent. 

@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@JR44 said:

Extending Kirk

Trading Kirk

Bottom line

That's a good point about how next offseason will be the best time to hit on the market. Void years might be the best solution for both sides. 

Also agree that the Vikings will listen to offers. They'd be fools if they didn't. But I have to think all offers must include some kind of bridge. I don't think the Vikings want to saddle Dalvin, JJ and ISJ with Kellen Mond or a rookie. The bridge, the QB in '22, that's where a trade gets hard to see. There's always Teddy I guess, who is a free agent. 
I also think bringing back a bridge in a trade likely helps the team taking on Kirk rationalize the money. Carolina (Darnold) and Cleveland (Mayfield) probably are your best candidates since they can send out about $18M in the form of their QBs which is equivalent to about the $$$ the Vikings would need to eat to make Kirk palatable. Which I do think is a bit media driven. 

In the end a pick is nice if you can get one, but your bottom line above is about where I end up, you don't want to get in the market of trading even average QBs without an improvement lined up. The CLE & SF front offices are also fans of void years while the Vikings only really used them last year when the cap became a massive bottle-neck. They aren't bad. I know you're already thinking about this Maroon, but for everyone else think about it this way: 

If you tack on 4 void years and move $12.5M of money; Kirk's contract becomes: 

2022: $22.5M base salary / $10M Signing Bonus / $2.5M Restructure / Cap Hit $35M / $45M Dead  - There is no change in dead money and you've saved $10M in 2022. 
2023: $2.5M Restructure  - VOID YEAR $10M Dead - Barring an extension the $10M would hit as dead money in 2023. There are ways to break this up between 2023/24 if needed 
2024: $2.5M Restructure
2025: $2.5M Restructure
2026: $2.5M Restructure

This strategy basically gives you a QB now and the option to pay up if he has massive success under KOC and the new coaching staff. Otherwise you move on with the same dead money as if you were to trade him today without eating any salary. Based on the rising cap its actually "less" in dead money since it would be discounted by the rate of cap increase.