Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free agency thoughts
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
Josey Jewell is the only one on that list that I would like to sign. We need corners badly, but it seems they may resign PP which helps. Ryan Jensen would be a nice signing at center 
I like Peterson,  but would resigning him really be the best option?  If this team was ready to contend in 22 I would go along with it,  but does building a good roster in a non competitive year really help anything?  I am all for signing free agents,  but I want guys that come in and improve,  ones that will potentially be part of something in 23,24,25.  I dont see it with PP so IMO you let him walk away.   If we are talking about forcing the hand of guys like Hunter, and Smith,  possibly Kendricks,  I dont see money or the point of P2,  and honestly he was only above average in performance and wasnt overly available by missing 4 games.   
It wouldnt be the best option, but what else are we going to do? I know we will draft a corner early so then you have them and Dantzler, but you will need more than that. I think his contract would be for an amount less than this past year so that's why I would be in favor of bringing him back. You can go full rebuild on the defense if you want, but Peterson at like $7MM or $8MM per year may help bridge the defense a bit.

There are so many different scenarios and routes we can go on defense that its frustrating as hell. Just an insane amount of mismanagement and drafting over the last 3-4 years.

Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
Josey Jewell is the only one on that list that I would like to sign. We need corners badly, but it seems they may resign PP which helps. Ryan Jensen would be a nice signing at center 
I like Peterson,  but would resigning him really be the best option?  If this team was ready to contend in 22 I would go along with it,  but does building a good roster in a non competitive year really help anything?  I am all for signing free agents,  but I want guys that come in and improve,  ones that will potentially be part of something in 23,24,25.  I dont see it with PP so IMO you let him walk away.   If we are talking about forcing the hand of guys like Hunter, and Smith,  possibly Kendricks,  I dont see money or the point of P2,  and honestly he was only above average in performance and wasnt overly available by missing 4 games.   
It wouldnt be the best option, but what else are we going to do? I know we will draft a corner early so then you have them and Dantzler, but you will need more than that. I think his contract would be for an amount less than this past year so that's why I would be in favor of bringing him back. You can go full rebuild on the defense if you want, but Peterson at like $7MM or $8MM per year may help bridge the defense a bit.

There are so many different scenarios and routes we can go on defense that its frustrating as hell. Just an insane amount of mismanagement and drafting over the last 3-4 years.
just saying,  I would perfer to see any FA money used,  to be used on players that might have some upside and a future with the team,  even if they arent a house hold name.  What difference does it make if we win 3 games or 8 games next year,  the team wont likely be ready to compete with what we have seen the last few weeks,  the bigger the hurt now, hopefully the sooner we can get back to relevance.  ( rip the bandaid off IMO )

@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:

just saying,  I would perfer to see any FA money used,  to be used on players that might have some upside and a future with the team,  even if they arent a house hold name.  What difference does it make if we win 3 games or 8 games next year,  the team wont likely be ready to compete with what we have seen the last few weeks,  the bigger the hurt now, hopefully the sooner we can get back to relevance.  ( rip the bandaid off IMO )
Right, it's just hard to determine what route to go when the offense is capable of keeping us in any game, especially with a coach that understands offense. I suppose we will see how good our new GM thinks the current team is when FA starts in a month. I have zero clue what will happen with the defensive roster but it feels like we will have another year (hopefully only that) of either a weak secondary or LB group

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:

Right, it's just hard to determine what route to go when the offense is capable of keeping us in any game, especially with a coach that understands offense. I suppose we will see how good our new GM thinks the current team is when FA starts in a month. I have zero clue what will happen with the defensive roster but it feels like we will have another year (hopefully only that) of either a weak secondary or LB group
you last sentence is where I am at on it... if we were just needing help at one level,  or missing one piece at each level,  but we are pretty much shit on D from the top to the bottom,  all levels need significant upgrades or additions.  Couple that with all the talk of bringing in a whole new defensive system.. I just dont think we are going to be overly happy in year 1,  so might as well be in a position to grab the QB of the future if he isnt already on the roster,  or at least reap the rewards of trading down for whoever covets one of those top guys.

@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:

you last sentence is where I am at on it... if we were just needing help at one level,  or missing one piece at each level,  but we are pretty much shit on D from the top to the bottom,  all levels need significant upgrades or additions.  Couple that with all the talk of bringing in a whole new defensive system.. I just dont think we are going to be overly happy in year 1,  so might as well be in a position to grab the QB of the future if he isnt already on the roster,  or at least reap the rewards of trading down for whoever covets one of those top guys.
I'm hoping we aren't in a position where we need to essentially tank this year. I am certainly an advocate for trading down and picking up another 2nd as I think we can still get a quality CB in round 1 and then use our 2nd round picks for a DE and G. 

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:

I'm hoping we aren't in a position where we need to essentially tank this year. I am certainly an advocate for trading down and picking up another 2nd as I think we can still get a quality CB in round 1 and then use our 2nd round picks for a DE and G. 
no,  we wont tank,  that implies intent,  but I dont see a need to finish with a 500 record because we resigned older bridge players when that money would be better used on acquiring talent that isnt past its expiration date even if it means you get a lesser player with a chance to improve.

I'm with Jimmy.  1 year contracts to me are an "all in" move and the 2022 Vikings are not in a position to be all in.

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
I'm with Jimmy.  1 year contracts to me are an "all in" move and the 2022 Vikings are not in a position to be all in.
Oh I'm not saying we do a bunch of one year contracts or even offer PP a one year contract. I'm saying you bring him in as a veteran corner while Dantzler improves, along with drafting a corner in the first round. I think a veteran gets signed either as a LB or CB as they likely wont be able to address those needs as starters from the draft. I say this because I'm assuming they will try to hit on a DE that way they aren't a veteran a large chunk of money

8 of 9 of our losses were by 8 points or less. The only loss that wasn’t the case was the game Cousins was out. Even a moderate improvement in our defense and we are competing for the division. 
I don’t understand this belief it’s a rebuilding year and we will be non-competitive. It could randomly be right, but it isn’t a rational conclusion based on this past year. 

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
8 of 9 of our losses were by 8 points or less. The only loss that wasn’t the case was the game Cousins was out. Even a moderate improvement in our defense and we are competing for the division. 
I don’t understand this belief it’s a rebuilding year and we will be non-competitive. It could randomly be right, but it isn’t a rational conclusion based on this past year. 
For me the concern is because there is a very good chance we lose a decent amount of players on the roster and there is the unknown of who replaces them. We have the Kirk contract situation. We have the Danielle Hunter contract situation. We have one corner on the roster who is worthy of starting (saying Bynum is a safety). I'm not a big Troy Dye guy and we saw nothing from Surratt so the LB and CB positions really concern me. Not to mention we have all read that we could be changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

I think our offense can keep us in almost every game, but the defensive roster is a crapshoot right now.