Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ed Donatell favorite for Vikings DC
Quote: @"JustinTime18™" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
Basically every single candidate to date for DC has been a 3-4 guy.

Anyone still think we aren't moving to a 3-4?

#3 in points allowed last year...traded Von for a 2 and a 4...
If we do switch to a 3-4, we'll obviously add players that fit it, but given our current players (under contract), what might that look like?

Tomlinson - Pierce -Watts
Hunter - Kendricks - ?? - Wonnum/Jones II

Seems an awkward fit for our current defense. I'm sure Hunter would be good in whatever defense you put him in, but in my mind, he's a prototype 4-3 DE. Does this foretell a trade?
I think if you can get a slightly richer deal than the Broncos got for Miller, you pull the trigger. Sorry @Nichelle. But, 8 games out of the last 33 and looking for a payday isn't a good look.

I think we could run a 3-4 with Pierce playing shade, Tomlinson as 3T, Watts as 5i. Wonnum and Hunter on the edges. JRob or Jones III if Hunter moves on. Kendricks and Lynch inside. Sarratt over Jabril Cox looks worse and worse.
I know you didn't like the Surratt pick, but I still have high hopes for him. That pick was 100% project. You like to get boom or bust projects like that a little later than the 3rd round, but there was a big buzz about him after dominating at LB for UNC. Don't know if any player was on more sleeper lists. He'll have to show it this year though. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:

If we do switch to a 3-4, we'll obviously add players that fit it, but given our current players (under contract), what might that look like?

Seems an awkward fit for our current defense. I'm sure Hunter would be good in whatever defense you put him in, but in my mind, he's a prototype 4-3 DE. Does this foretell a trade?
I think if you can get a slightly richer deal than the Broncos got for Miller, you pull the trigger. Sorry @Nichelle. But, 8 games out of the last 33 and looking for a payday isn't a good look.

I think we could run a 3-4 with Pierce playing shade, Tomlinson as 3T, Watts as 5i. Wonnum and Hunter on the edges. JRob or Jones III if Hunter moves on. Kendricks and Lynch inside. Sarratt over Jabril Cox looks worse and worse.
I know you didn't like the Surratt pick, but I still have high hopes for him. That pick was 100% project. You like to get boom or bust projects like that a little later than the 3rd round, but there was a big buzz about him after dominating at LB for UNC. Don't know if any player was on more sleeper lists. He'll have to show it this year though. 
for a team that was supposedly super bowl ready,  but really void of talent at a lot of depth positions,  IMO taking sleepers in the third with no second round pick was a huge mistake.  time may prove me wrong, but we could have used a contributor last year from that pick instead of a player with high potential, but nothing today.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:

I think it depends how you play 34 defense since its not really a one-size fits all approach. I would be a little more confident with Hunter as a fit in Donatell's defense since they had success with Khalil Mack using his solely in an under position at the LOS. Basically you're a 34 defense but approach pass rushing like you would in a 43. 

Initially they were hoping to hire Donatell but with him going to Seattle, initially, it was looking like Pleasant would be the guy. I personally like this fit a bit better. I know people will disagree but I don't think Kendricks can play ILB in a 3-4. Don't get me wrong, great player. But look at his splits with a good NT in-front of him in a 43 defense than without. He doesn't shed blocks and work through traffic well enough. Like he could play the position, but I don't think you're going to get $10M+ of value out of it.

On the flip side I wonder if Wonnum would actually be better in a 3-4. I think you'd align on the line with Tomlinson - Pierce - Watts. Then behind then you have Wonnum - Kendricks - Vigil (I'd assume they will resign him) - Hunter

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:

for a team that was supposedly super bowl ready,  but really void of talent at a lot of depth positions,  IMO taking sleepers in the third with no second round pick was a huge mistake.  time may prove me wrong, but we could have used a contributor last year from that pick instead of a player with high potential, but nothing today.
I tend to agree with this. The book isn't closed on Surratt but they'll need to see strides taken into Year 2 with him. He's not playing to his athleticism, thinking too much and that's because he's fairly green at LB in general. Its more cerebral in the NFL and that's what makes or breaks these guys.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:

I tend to agree with this. The book isn't closed on Surratt but they'll need to see strides taken into Year 2 with him. He's not playing to his athleticism, thinking too much and that's because he's fairly green at LB in general. Its more cerebral in the NFL and that's what makes or breaks these guys.
Maybe I am missing the back-story, but why don't we like Surratt? He never was going to play last year. Long-term he actually has a decent chance to get on the field and I tend to like what he did in college quite a bit. He's a good example of a guy the media was low on but NFL teams were high on. So on the outside it "feels" like a reach but really he would have gone within the next 5-10 picks. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:

Maybe I am missing the back-story, but why don't we like Surratt? He never was going to play last year. Long-term he actually has a decent chance to get on the field and I tend to like what he did in college quite a bit. He's a good example of a guy the media was low on but NFL teams were high on. So on the outside it "feels" like a reach but really he would have gone within the next 5-10 picks. 
I hope you are right. 

@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:

There’s no backstory haha, we just don’t like him because he didn’t help the Minnesota Vikings win football games. If that changes in the future (hopefully this season), then fans including myself will love the guy. I hope it happens. 

@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:

its kind of been said,  but this team needed players not projects last year,  some of us were not nearly as convinced as some others that we had a quality team assembled.  I am not sure if this pick is a testament to the professionalism of RS, in that he was taking flyers in a year his job was on the line,  or if its a sign of why he was let go in that he was not seeing the reality of the situation.  maybe it was a Zim pick that Rick didnt veto.  Doesnt matter now,  like another poster said,  we needed play makers and he wasnt ready to answer the bell when needed and that is what a third round pick should do.  Not the kids fault where he was taken so its not really about not liking the kid,  just the point he was taken.

@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:

Passed on a more ready Jabril Cox is a big part. Best part of his game was coverage, which would have served us well.

Surratt would be the 1st LB to start in the NFL with arms shorter than ~30". 

Not a fan.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:

its kind of been said,  but this team needed players not projects last year,  some of us were not nearly as convinced as some others that we had a quality team assembled.  I am not sure if this pick is a testament to the professionalism of RS, in that he was taking flyers in a year his job was on the line,  or if its a sign of why he was let go in that he was not seeing the reality of the situation.  maybe it was a Zim pick that Rick didnt veto.  Doesnt matter now,  like another poster said,  we needed play makers and he wasnt ready to answer the bell when needed and that is what a third round pick should do.  Not the kids fault where he was taken so its not really about not liking the kid,  just the point he was taken.
Don't disregard the idea of Spielman drafting players and Zimmer not utilizing them. Just saying, that is a two-way street.