Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will O'Connell appreciate durability in his QB?
Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Where the hell do you find all of this?

I think the thread title should read "Will KOC appreciate KC's durability and production?" 
I was just curious about what the numbers looked like when KOC and KC were together so I looked them up. That led me to discover the NINE QB changes in Washington over the two years immediately following Cousins' departure. That's insane! Also had to be frustrating for an offensive coach. 

But I also sorta wonder if KOC will even have a choice in the matter. The Cousins thing may be a decision made by the suits. 

At the bold...

My 1st reaction to that was no way....B

ut then i suspect Zimsu had to have his arm twisted to go with KC in 2018 too. I just don't believe there was consensus on him back in the day. 

By that I just mean it will likely be about the contract more than anything else. But, thinking back, that's what it was about in Washington too. He wanted a long-term contract and they wouldn't give him one, tagging him in back to back seasons. 

But was it worth it for Washington? In Kirk's three years as a starter there, the Redskins ranked 11th in TD passes. Post Cousins, they rank 32nd and have changed QBs 13 times. 

Meanwhile, the Vikings, who ranked 26th in TD passes in the three years prior to Cousins, rank 7th with Cousins. 

I do not find the comparisons to Stafford relevant, because the situations are completely different.  McVay entered the season in his fifth year with a stacked roster of expensive free agents expected to contend for a Super Bowl with the first year of fans in their 5 billion dollar stadium and hosting the Super Bowl.  He had a lot of pressure to win now, so he needed an established QB.  O'Connell is coming into rookie year, while it won't be a total rebuild, the expectation is for him to build a winner, which is going to involve establishing a solid base, which I believe will revolve around the QB position.  I don't see a QB who will be 34 when the season starts is going to be the guy he is going to want to center the team around.  He may keep Cousins as a bridge QB for a year, but I think the team either drafts or trades for a QB who they think can be the future of the team. 

While I am admittedly known for supporting our incumbent, Cousins has been our best, most consistent producing QB in a helluva long time...and that's despite Zimmer's ridiculous conservative BS, bad/tragic OG/center play, and a slew of OCs through his whole time on the team.

Yes, this season's contract is worrisome (because of shifting for 2020, but that gets swept aside), and I'd like it renegotiated...but, I think seeing Cousins is a functional offensive scheme with the o-line attended to would erase about 90% of the constant hate/trade babble.

My gut tells me (KC + KOC) = best years ahead for KC

We'll see...

Like others, I dont know if they'll keep him or not???  They'd better have a damn good plan b if they dont. 

I dont care to revisit the Ponder through Brafford era. 

I think you all are focusing on the wrong thing,  iMO this isn't about if the Vikings or KOC want to keep Cousins around,  the question is does Cousins want to be here.  Of course he says he does,  but the decision is really in his camp.

The key for KAM and KOC is to build a winner and that is going to take cap space.  Yes they have a few veteran options to create some space,  but they arent working for their 23 jobs right now,  they can break some eggs this year and still not be worried about getting fired.  If Cousins really does want to be part of the future here he needs to show now that he is concerned about more than just his own financial future.

Im sure Ill get roasted for this but....

1. Cousins is a damn good quarterback, hes consistent, seldom hurt, has just enough moxie without being boastful.  Just because he doesnt run around before throwing sidearm to people doesnt mean hes not good. That said, get the ball OUT. 
2. Can “WE” win a Super Bowl with him? YES, I have no doubt given the right people around him, and...
3. A defense that can that hold teams to under 24 points, HELL, under 30 points...
4. THE ONLY positive I see with O’Connell, is his relationship with KOC (As you know, I wanted Harbaugh) 
5. KOC now has his money.......Does he want a title?   If he does, sign a cap friendly deal and spread the wealth a little for Christ sake.  

Stafford
2021 - 21million Cap hit - SB QB
2022 - 23 million Cap hit
Total: 44

Cousins
2021 - 31 million Cap hit - 8-9 record QB
2022 - 45 million Cap hit
Total: 76 

But I do agree with others in the comparison between the 2. 
 We just need Kirk to take a huge pay cut so we can sign about 3 other superstars like the Rams Smile

Quote: @"minny65" said:
Stafford

Cousins

We just need Kirk to take a huge pay cut so we can sign about 3 other superstars like the Rams Smile
Yeah, Stafford cap hit is only $21MM and yeah Cousins cap hit is $31MM, but let's not ignore the fact that the Rams are also paying $24.7MM of dead cap money this year for Goff so that QB1 cap hit is more like $45.7MM

Quote: @"minny65" said:
Stafford

Cousins

Or do a better job of drafting/developing players and better utilizing the skillset of current players. Have to think not having the annual purging of OC's is going to be pretty helpful as well.

Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
@"minny65" said:
Stafford

Cousins

Yeah, Stafford cap hit is only $21MM and yeah Cousins cap hit is $31MM, but let's not ignore the fact that the Rams are also paying $24.7MM of dead cap money this year for Goff so that QB1 cap hit is more like $45.7MM
OK but this year is over for us (on a low note) so lets compare similar QB's and their salaries for next year - 23 vs 45.  I hope Kirk can help lead this team to a better than 8-9 record for that kind of money.