Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will O'Connell appreciate durability in his QB?
There have been conflicting rumors on what KOC might think of Cousins. Rumor has it that the Vikings told each HC candidate that they believe in Cousins. Rumor also has it that KOC may have been part of the camp that wanted the Redskins to move on from Cousins. If the 2nd rumor is true, I hope O'Connell has learned from his mistakes. 

2017: KOC is Washington's QB coach
Cousins starts all 16, throws for 4,000 yards, 27 TDs, 13 INTs, Cousins franchised 2nd time.
2018 - KOC QB coach/passing game coordinator, Wash
Washington lets Cousins hit the market, signs with Vikings.
Washington uses FOUR different starting QBs (Smith, Johnson, McCoy, Sanchez) who throw for 16 TDs and 15 INTs
In Minnesota, Cousins starts all 16 games, throws for 4,300 yards, 30 TDs, 10 INTs, makes Pro Bowl
2019 - KOC Offensive Coordinator, Wash
Not to be outdone, 2019 sees Washington use FIVE different starters at QB (Keenum, Haskins, McCoy, Harmon, Sims) who total 18 TDs and 13 INTs
In Minnesota, Cousins starts all 16, throws for 3600 yards, 26 TDs and 6 INTs

O'Connell is in the Super Bowl with a QB that is pretty much Cousins.

This is the biggest open question remaining in the off-season.

I have no strong feeling about how the franchise goes on this one.

I dont know how they'll deal with KC either...

I'm not convinced there is a better option that'll be available in FA and I think he's our best option with a re-worked contract. At least until they get another QB for tomorrow that they really believe in. That might not be for a year or 2. 

I know it's radio silence time with KOC, but I am a little surprised we'e heard nothing from our QB since the season ended. 

Quote: @"JustinTime18™" said:
O'Connell is in the Super Bowl with a QB that is pretty much Cousins.

This is the biggest open question remaining in the off-season.

I have no strong feeling about how the franchise goes on this one.
Same. I think it's 50/50. And I can see valid arguments on both sides. And while I agree that Stafford is pretty much Cousins, there is one big difference (see below). Because of that, I feel pretty confident that in 5+ years, Cousins is still playing. Stafford probably not. 

Cousins injury history:
None

Stafford's injury history:

Sep 12, 2010
Shoulder A/C Joint Separation
Stafford missed 5 games.Nov 7, 2010
Stafford re-injured his shoulder and eventually underwent surgery in January of 2011.
Nov 22, 2009
Stafford played the next 2 games before sitting out the final 4 with a separated shoulder.
Dec 9, 2016
Hand Finger Dislocation Stafford also suffered torn ligaments in his finger, although it didn't cost him any games.
Oct 4, 2009
Knee Patella Dislocation
Stafford dislocated his patella against the Bears, costing him 2 games. He had minor surgery in December of 2009.
Dec 6, 2009
Stafford missed 4 games with a shoulder dislocation after a hard hit against the Bengals.
Oct 30, 2011
Hand Finger Fracture
Stafford played through a fractured right index finger.
Oct 23, 2011
Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1
Stafford didn't miss any games with his ankle ailment.
Nov 3, 2019
Back Tailbone Fracture
Matthew Stafford ended his season due to the fractured bones in his back in Week 9 game vs. the Raiders
Nov 15, 2020
Hand Thumb Torn Ligament
Stafford suffered a partial tear in a ligament in his right thumb during the win vs. Washington. He played through the injury in the next games
Dec 13, 2020
Chest Rib Sprain/Pull Unspecified
Stafford injured his ribs during the team’s Week 14 loss to the Packers. He didn't miss any game
Dec 26, 2020
Stafford suffers ankle injury in Lions' loss to Bucs. He was available for the season finale.
Aug 2, 2021
Hand Thumb Sprain
Stafford hit his right thumb on a teammate's helmet during practice and was shut down from throwing for the rest of the day.
Nov 4, 2021
Back Lower Lumbar Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1
Stafford was held out of practice due to a sore back ahead of Week 9
Nov 7, 2021
Stafford sprained his ankle during Week 9's loss to the Titans. He was good for the next game
Jan 9, 2022
Pedal Toe Sprain
Stafford injured his toe during a Week 18 loss to the 49ers. He was fine for the wild-card game against the Cardinals.

Where the hell do you find all of this?

I think the thread title should read "Will KOC appreciate KC's durability and production?" 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

I think the thread title should read "Will KOC appreciate KC's durability and production?" 
I was just curious about what the numbers looked like when KOC and KC were together so I looked them up. That led me to discover the NINE QB changes in Washington over the two years immediately following Cousins' departure. That's insane! Also had to be frustrating for an offensive coach. 

But I also sorta wonder if KOC will even have a choice in the matter. The Cousins thing may be a decision made by the suits. 

Nine is a lot...

The one thing KC has brought to a franchise (that can't brag about QB's in recent memory) is stability and as you say durability...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mi...arterbacks
2012Christian Ponder (16)
2013Christian Ponder (9) / Matt Cassel (6) / Josh Freeman (1)
2014Teddy Bridgewater (12) / Matt Cassel (3) / Christian Ponder (1)
2015Teddy Bridgewater (16)
2016Sam Bradford (15) / Shaun Hill (1)
2017Case Keenum (14) / Sam Bradford (2)
2018Kirk Cousins (16)
2019Kirk Cousins (15) / Sean Mannion
2020Kirk Cousins (16)
2021Kirk Cousins (16) / Sean Mannion (1)             

There are so many rumors because there is a lot of unknown information and talking heads are looking for people to bite. It is going to be interesting to see how things actually play out. Obviously Cousins is the key one way or another.

[Image: hxuqfwpifof1.jpeg]

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

I was just curious about what the numbers looked like when KOC and KC were together so I looked them up. That led me to discover the NINE QB changes in Washington over the two years immediately following Cousins' departure. That's insane! Also had to be frustrating for an offensive coach. 

But I also sorta wonder if KOC will even have a choice in the matter. The Cousins thing may be a decision made by the suits. 

At the bold...

My 1st reaction to that was no way....B

ut then i suspect Zimsu had to have his arm twisted to go with KC in 2018 too. I just dont believe there was consensus on him back in the day.