Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just my two cents on the coaching search....
Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I was completely fine with Harbaugh, but also felt very good about O'Connell. Its ok to be good with both and also equally ok to not be devastated about not signing Harbaugh. Disappointed? Sure. But to the point where you think we will suck because of not hiring (insert your guy here)? I don't get that. You understand that the Wilfs, KAM, the other members of the search team know a TON more than we do about the candidates, right? We also weren't there for the interviews. Why the dramatic exaggerated negative responses? I agree, we don't know how O'Connell and Kwesi will work out. Nothing is guaranteed. But the premature optimism of a new age type GM and a young guy plucked from the heart of a Superbowl team and the McVay coaching tree is WAY more logical than shitting on the hires. 

I'm not saying don't question the hires if you have doubts. I'm saying what is up with the overreaction in a negative way for not hiring Harbaugh? The guy had his chance all day yesterday to seal the deal and DIDN'T. The reasons we will probably never know fully. I'm fine with that. The process seemed to be really solid. I'm ready to rock with these guys.

Also, I think it was easier for the Vikings to justify OConnell then Harbaugh after the Flores lawsuit and them interviewing Graham for 9 hours the day prior. I'm guessing politics played a part in it as well as the money and length of contract Harbaugh wanted. 
Ummm....they hired a white guy for HC. ?

Here is how I view it: (1) Harbaugh was not on Vikings radar; (2) Vikes stick to plan of hiring GM first, recognizing the importance of the GM/head coach connection: (3) Vikes hire Kwesi; (4) Kwesi, who has a connection to Harbaugh, convinces Harbaugh to consider coming to Minnesota; (5) Harbaugh, unlike any other coach on the Vikings radar, has a proven record of success as an NFL head coach (5th best winning percentage ALL TIME); (6) Harbaugh has discussions with Vikings, convincing him to fly in for a day of interviews; (7) Vikes say no thanks to Harbaugh and (supposedly) decide to go with a young first-time head coach over the proven Harbaugh; (8) allegedly Kwesi/Harbaugh had to convince the Wilfs (and some minority owner with ties to Michigan) and they obviously failed.

I have no idea if O'Connell will be a good head coach.  I will get behind him like I have every coach going back to Les Steckel.  although a "proven commodity" Harbaugh's past success was no guarantee (see Jon Gruden).  But reading between the lines, I hate this.  Kwesi went to the well to lure Harbaugh and ownership decided to go in a different direction.  Can't prove that, of course, and I am sure Kwesi will be all excited outwardly and talk about the collaborative process that led to the selection of KOC.  But I don't think you lure someone of Harbaugh's caliber, in Harbaugh's situation, into a very public interview process, without there being an expectation that he will be your guy.  Logic tells me the fact that it did not work out has two possible explanations: (1) Harbaugh botched the interview and Kwesi couldn't save him; or (2) Ownership overruled Kwesi (for whatever reason -- could be flags on Harbaugh or cost).  I suspect it was the latter, and that is a bad thing.

I also think the Vikings picked the best candidate that gives the organization stability and the face of the Vikings long term.  While their pick of O'Connell might very well be a short lived relationship, it was probably obvious to the Vikings that the Harbaugh pick would provide little stability and have them going through this interview process again in the next 4 years or less.
Again, if Harbough would be such a great NFL HC, why isn't he?  I'd say where there's smoke, there's fire and the Vikes saw it first hand.

Harbaugh interview pumped a little excitement into the fan base, including myself. Am I disappointed? No.
They are doing exactly what Mark Wilf said they were going to do; a thorough vetting and search.
I did hear a report today suggesting ownership still thinks they can win with Cousins. If so, I worry about ongoing .500 seasons and contractual handcuffing the defensive rebuild. I'm good with keeping him one more year if they can find a reasonable out for the following year, if things don't work out. But they truly need a rookie contract QB in order to move forward IMO. If Mond isn't the guy then they need to draft another one this year or next.

Harbaugh had a lot of all pro players on that SF team. The Vikings don't.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I was completely fine with Harbaugh, but also felt very good about O'Connell. Its ok to be good with both and also equally ok to not be devastated about not signing Harbaugh. Disappointed? Sure. But to the point where you think we will suck because of not hiring (insert your guy here)? I don't get that. You understand that the Wilfs, KAM, the other members of the search team know a TON more than we do about the candidates, right? We also weren't there for the interviews. Why the dramatic exaggerated negative responses? I agree, we don't know how O'Connell and Kwesi will work out. Nothing is guaranteed. But the premature optimism of a new age type GM and a young guy plucked from the heart of a Superbowl team and the McVay coaching tree is WAY more logical than shitting on the hires. 

I'm not saying don't question the hires if you have doubts. I'm saying what is up with the overreaction in a negative way for not hiring Harbaugh? The guy had his chance all day yesterday to seal the deal and DIDN'T. The reasons we will probably never know fully. I'm fine with that. The process seemed to be really solid. I'm ready to rock with these guys.

Also, I think it was easier for the Vikings to justify OConnell then Harbaugh after the Flores lawsuit and them interviewing Graham for 9 hours the day prior. I'm guessing politics played a part in it as well as the money and length of contract Harbaugh wanted. 

Yes but also someone with no prior experience. If they would have just hired Harbaugh I think the perception would have been the Graham interview the day prior 8was just for show and they already had Harbaugh picked out to be the coach. They did their due diligence in looking transparent bringing Harbaugh in for the same interview. I just think it would have been a bad look in light of the Flores lawsuit 

Quote: @"Purpleblooded" said:
Here is how I view it: (1) Harbaugh was not on Vikings radar; (2) Vikes stick to plan of hiring GM first, recognizing the importance of the GM/head coach connection: (3) Vikes hire Kwesi; (4) Kwesi, who has a connection to Harbaugh, convinces Harbaugh to consider coming to Minnesota; (5) Harbaugh, unlike any other coach on the Vikings radar, has a proven record of success as an NFL head coach (5th best winning percentage ALL TIME); (6) Harbaugh has discussions with Vikings, convincing him to fly in for a day of interviews; (7) Vikes say no thanks to Harbaugh and (supposedly) decide to go with a young first-time head coach over the proven Harbaugh; (8) allegedly Kwesi/Harbaugh had to convince the Wilfs (and some minority owner with ties to Michigan) and they obviously failed.

I have no idea if O'Connell will be a good head coach.  I will get behind him like I have every coach going back to Les Steckel.  although a "proven commodity" Harbaugh's past success was no guarantee (see Jon Gruden).  But reading between the lines, I hate this.  Kwesi went to the well to lure Harbaugh and ownership decided to go in a different direction.  Can't prove that, of course, and I am sure Kwesi will be all excited outwardly and talk about the collaborative process that led to the selection of KOC.  But I don't think you lure someone of Harbaugh's caliber, in Harbaugh's situation, into a very public interview process, without there being an expectation that he will be your guy.  Logic tells me the fact that it did not work out has two possible explanations: (1) Harbaugh botched the interview and Kwesi couldn't save him; or (2) Ownership overruled Kwesi (for whatever reason -- could be flags on Harbaugh or cost).  I suspect it was the latter, and that is a bad thing.
You are assuming a lot...  what if Harbaugh was the one who reached out to Kwesi or at least let it be known he was interested in the job?  According to some of the "sources", it was being reported this was a done deal and the interview was a formality (guessing these sources were from Harbaugh's camp).  With how it went down, I'm assuming Kwesi brought his name to ownership and the Vikings interview committee as a potential candidate, but had him go through the same interview process as other candidates (not a done deal like sources were claiming).  In the end, they chose the guy they interviewed first in the 2nd round of interviews.  I think it was more likely the Vikings had O'Connell #1 all along, but then Harbaugh expressed some late interest and it would have been dumb for the Vikings to not explore him as a candidate given his prior NFL success and experience.

I think it is a lot easier to connect the dots this way than saying our ownership neutered our new GM by not picking Harbaugh.

I really think it came down to what each candidate thought was best to do with the current roster for next year.  I think Harbaugh was the outlier as he thought the roster was still in a win now mode and KOC's vision best meshed with Kwesi.  I think all 4 candidates probably met the Wilfs' (and Kwesi's) criteria and it really came down to the vision for next year and beyond.  8 hour interviews would really allow everyone to truly vet a vision.  I don't think you get a second interview unless you checked off all the required boxes -- I am sure Kwesi vouched for Harbaugh checking off the boxes.

Quote: @"Purpleblooded" said:

Very good logical post IMO.  I will add that Harbaugh may have been asking for too much which also made the decision easier.  When I say too much, I mean, too much time and guaranteed money.  I don't think the Wilf's are cheap at all, all evidence points to the opposite, but I thought the Gruden contract was a joke and if Harbaugh is looking for that he can go back to Michigan.

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Yes but also someone with no prior experience. If they would have just hired Harbaugh I think the perception would have been the Graham interview the day prior 8was just for show and they already had Harbaugh picked out to be the coach. They did their due diligence in looking transparent bringing Harbaugh in for the same interview. I just think it would have been a bad look in light of the Flores lawsuit 
But they interviewed Graham for twice and the last for 9 hours before Harbaugh.  I don't follow the logic and do not think the Flores situation has a role whatsoever.  We were so far in the process.