Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its a really crappy NFL QB Draft class upcoming isn't it?
Unfortunately even if there were 1 or 2 generational talents it’s not like we’d have a chance at them either. 

Kirk is certainly a good QB but hes probably in that third tier, 12-18 range. And getting paid like he’s tier one. That’s a problem as we all know. 

I still think Sam Howell is the best of the group. UNC offense lost all weapons after last season but that dude has a cannon and is pretty decent on his feet

I think Howell and Strong might be considered by some as top of the heap, there is really no consensus out there. You'll see some really disturbing breakdowns on the top 5 guys that make you think none of these dudes will pan out. As some have said, its easy to be up on a guy after reading one article, then completely turned the other way on another story. Brutal.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I think Howell and Strong might be considered by some as top of the heap, there is really no consensus out there. You'll see some really disturbing breakdowns on the top 5 guys that make you think none of these dudes will pan out. As some have said, its easy to be up on a guy after reading one article, then completely turned the other way on another story. Brutal.

(Preface:  I do not consider myself a college guru at all)

Both are listed at around 6'1 220ish

Both run a lot in the highlights with Howell not avoiding contact that will kill him in the NFL.  Willis looks fast and then runs out of gas after about 15-20 yards and is caught by LB/S.  Is that being out of shape or just short yard speed?  

Both have NFL arms with the one pass from Howell was 65 yards in the air!  

No idea on accuracy, reads, etc because I am just commenting on the video.  

I mentioned Bailey Zappe of Western Kentucky in another thread as a prospect that I'm keeping an eye on as the evaluation period continues. Won't be a first round pick & I'm unsure where he'll be drafted. Selected to play in the Senior Bowl on 2/5, so I'm eager to see how he fares against higher level competition.

My only reservation about drafting him is that he's probably not as good as a prospect as Mond & if you're going to draft another QB to develop, it should be one with a higher ceiling.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" with this upcoming QB draft.  

I was all over us drafting a QB last year for 2 main reason - deepest 1st round talent and us with a relatively high pick (for us at 14)

I am going to look at this upcoming draft class from a positive angle listed in no particular order:

1- Yes, the QB pool is much lighter but with 5 teams drafting QB's high in the first last year then that eliminates those 5 teams from this weak QB market - Plus 

2 - We have now moved up to the 12th spot - Plus

3 - New GM/HC - will be open to drafting a QB high while I think Spelly didn't want to admit the contract with KC was a mistake and settled for a 3rd round pick - Plus

4 - There is maybe 2 consensus Top 10 picks at QB - Pickett (whom I like the best) and maybe Matt Corral from Ole Miss? Meaning, we might not have to move up too much to get our guy - Plus
      (I know this is a stretch right now because the closer the draft gets the better some of these QB's will look for needy teams but just going by right now from talent evaluators)

5 - Then you add the "rumor" mill of QB's movement for 2022 - guys like Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, and second tier Mayfield - this will fill some spots for teams ahead of us in the draft - Plus

6 - Ahead of us in the draft in need of QB are:  Lions at 2, Texans at 3??, Giants at 5&7, Panthers at 6, Falcons at 8, Broncos at 9, and Redskins a pick before us at 11 - not a plus but...
      are teams like the Lions, Texans, and Giants going to draft a QB at 5 or above in a draft loaded at other positions (DE/CB) and no consensus Top 5 QB???  Maybe but maybe not.  So the Giants,       who might be in the (Rodgers/Wilson/Watson) market have picks 5 and 7.  Let's pretend the Giants get there QB in the FA market.  That leaves the Panthers at 6 who clearly need a QB but               might also get that answered in the offseason.  If not, we would have to make a deal with the Giants at 5 or 7 to get our Top evaluated QB (Pickett maybe) ...Plus because we are in range to             move up from 12 to 7 or even 5 and not have to give up the farm like in all the past 100 drafts when we are always in the teens and the Top QB's go in the Top 5.  Again, opportunity knocks           but not often.  

7 - Last but not least (not trying to start another thread) but new GM/HC and Cousins?  If Cousins is traded to one of those teams drafting above us then that serves us twofold - eliminates                 another team that drafts before us - Maybe, and assuming we get a first or low second in a cousins deal we have the ammo to move up into 5 or 7...could be Plus.

Full 2022 NFL Draft Order

I like Pickett's progression from year to year in almost every category.  I really like the 67% and the yards per attempt stats as a 5th year senior.  Iread that he had a high ankle sprain his 2020 season that he missed 4 games and then when he came back he struggled some and that brought those stats down in 2020.  The games in the beginning of the season before the ankle were similar to his 2021 season.  
Passing
  • * indicates bowl stats included
Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
2017PittACCFRQB4396659.15097.77.311125.8
*2018PittACCSOQB1418031058.119696.46.3126120.3
*2019PittACCJRQB1228946961.630986.66.3139122.4
2020PittACCSRQB920333261.124087.36.8139129.6
*2021PittACCSRQB1333449767.243198.79.7427165.3
CareerPitt1045167462.4123037.37.58132136.3

I'm liking Pickett as a prime target for us for a new GM and HC to put there stamp on.  I like what Daboll has done with Josh Allen from his rookie season until now - unbelievable improvement.  J Allen rookie year he looked like a potential bust.  Pickett is no Josh Allen in size, running or even arm strength but he is around 6'3  220 with very good athleticism but not Josh Allen elite.  

The major knock on Pickett that I read so far is his hand size Smile  Not kidding, his hands are in the 8.5" range and that would be the smallest of any NFL QB from what I read.  But just like Mahomes only needed 13 seconds Pickett might only need 8.5 inches Smile

Subject to change.

But if we're going to draft a QB, I'd take Willis. Elite arm. Elite legs. Floor is Jalen Hurts. Probably the closest physically to Mahomes and Allen for arm talent and ability to move.

No TVs would be destroyed. I'd probably need some Maalox though.

I just started doing evaluations yesterday. I plan to do a full work up looking for a future starter regardless of expected draft position. 
Thus far I’ve done an initial game or two of the top 7 or so. It’s a really tough year. There’s talent and potential, but it’s going to be a year where there’s a possibility that none of them have what it takes to be elite starters. I’m hopeful I can identify one, but realistically this is just one those years. 
When it comes to Mond, we really needed him to start that last game. Zimmer being the pos he is, wouldn’t allow it for his personal vendetta. I’m going to review him with this years class and try to rank him as part of it. 
With all that said, we have a top 10 QB on the roster based on nearly every measurable out there, he’s just cost prohibitive. In an ideal world, we can get Cousins extended and that cap number way down. Then we can look at actually developing a guy over a 2-3 year window. That’s what Mond will need and any guy from this year. 
The Vikes are in decent shape if they can get Cousins signed to a better contract. Then primary focus is defense defense defense. We are not a championship team without greatly improving the unit. It won’t be just personnel changes that will help, coaching and scheme can go a long way as well. 
We can win a lot of games with the offense we fielded this past year and a competent coordinator/play caller. Get the defense squared away and we will be competitive now. 

It'll be interesting to see when something happens with Cousins. I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikes take a QB in the second round if one of the guys falls, but this assumes Cousins is traded. If Cousins is extended with the intent to keep him for a little while longer then the Vikes may not draft one at all so that an actual non bitter coach can evaluate a third round QB from a year ago.