Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spielman On QBs
Spielman was certainly desperate when he drafted Ponder, but considering his only option was used-up McNabb and we saw how that turned out...

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
[Image: t917reby090u.png]
Brought to you by Christian Ponder.
100%… Which is so strange because Spielman was here when Favre was here. He doesn’t strike me as a neurosurgeon but he’s an all time great. Interviews and intelligence are nice to have, but hopefullu the next guy focuses more on the tape. 
There were plenty of red flags on Ponders days from FSU. Hell, even our own FSUVike from back then was ringing the warning bells. 

Spelly committed one of the most egregious of GM sins - drafting for need. 

I am really worried the guy they put in at GM is going to be all analytics driven at the expense of football common sense and gut feel.  

Drafting human beings is only so much science, there is art and intuition involved. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
100%… Which is so strange because Spielman was here when Favre was here. He doesn’t strike me as a neurosurgeon but he’s an all time great. Interviews and intelligence are nice to have, but hopefullu the next guy focuses more on the tape. 
There were plenty of red flags on Ponders days from FSU. Hell, even our own FSUVike from back then was ringing the warning bells. 

I am really worried the guy they put in at GM is going to be all analytics driven at the expense of football common sense and gut feel.  

Drafting human beings is only so much science, there is art and intuition involved. 

Still vividly remember watching Ponder at FSU. Thought he'd be a very good 3rd rounder. Then we traded that third to get Moss back. I was pissed at the thought we'd have to spend a 2nd on him.

Imagine my horror when he went 12th. 

I wanted Prince Amoucmora  Amkormora 

I wanted a CB

I believe intelligence is very desirable but innate accuracy is a critical skill. Rarely it can be improved with better mechanics, but it usually seems they have it or they don't.

One thing that I think evaluators struggled with on Ponder is the medical. If you watched his earlier tape, before his injury, he had a pretty good arm. After, it was lousy and as we know, it never came back. In my mind that was the big red flag on Ponder that was overlooked. His arm hadn’t come back and there were reasons to start worrying it wouldn’t. RS ignored that biggest of factors and focused on other parts of Ponder that were a good fit, but meant nothing in the end.

Quote: @"JustinTime18™" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:

Still vividly remember watching Ponder at FSU. Thought he'd be a very good 3rd rounder. Then we traded that third to get Moss back. I was pissed at the thought we'd have to spend a 2nd on him.

Imagine my horror when he went 12th. 

I wanted Prince Amoucmora  Amkormora 

I wanted a CB
I wanted Mike Pouncey to fix the interior of our line, which has been a  huge problem since then and we still haven't got it right. But I did like Ponder the best out of QB's in that draft. I think his issue was two fold in that he lost confidence very early, became gun shy, and never recovered. But that happens when Bill Musgrave is responsible for bringing you along as a young pro...

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:

Im thinking he is also talking about Kellen Mond - maybe thats why Zimmer would not put him in - kid takes too long to process what's in front of him.

So Spielman had this big plan for QBs, but also never drafted QBs?  We never had an elite QB during Zimmer's tenure, and well before that.  We should have drafted at least twice as many QBs as we did.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
So Spielman had this big plan for QBs, but also never drafted QBs?  We never had an elite QB during Zimmer's tenure, and well before that.  We should have drafted at least twice as many QBs as we did.
Kirk makes a lot of money and has been durable so I kind of understand it, but I agree. Having absolutely nothing in the pipeline behind him (except Heineke who we let walk for nothing), was dumb.

Did he mention his coaches urging him to grab Russell Wilson after they coached him at the senior bowl, but he ignored them because have no fear, Christian Ponder was here?