Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayock out
I love his insight on players.  I think he has an eye for talent, but I think his fault is he tries to get too cute with his picks.  I like when he did commentary on our preseason games, but I don't want him any where near our franchise. 

Mayock has been the worst drafting GM in the NFL. I mean even worse than Belichick and Elway. One bust after another. Six 1st round picks in three years. 5 of the 6, busts. And make no mistake, that's why he was hired. To draft well. 

Shoud he have remained because the team he drafts for won their last 4 and made the playoffs? 

[Image: shake-my-head-snoop-dogg.gif]

I think it's still tough to grade Mayock on his three seasons in Oakland. How can you judge a GM when he never had final say on the draft or any roster decisions? Gruden was given the keys to the kingdom from the outset and called all the shots. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
I think it's still tough to grade Mayock on his three seasons in Oakland. How can you judge a GM when he never had final say on the draft or any roster decisions? Gruden was given the keys to the kingdom from the outset and called all the shots. 
Sure, they can share the blame. Gruden had final say on pretty much everything, which is dysfunctional to begin with. But Mayock ran personnel. He ran the scouting department and put their draft boards together. Regardless of who has "final say" on a pick or two, how the team drafts through 7 rounds is largely his baby. To say he's exempt from judgement would be wrong. 

What's more, he's never been a great evaluator of talent. Even going back to his NFLN days. Loved watching him, and I hope he goes back, but too frequently he didn't know what he was talking about. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
Sure, they can share the blame. Gruden had final say on pretty much everything, which is dysfunctional to begin with. But Mayock ran personnel. He ran the scouting department and put their draft boards together. Regardless of who has "final say" on a pick or two, how the team drafts through 7 rounds is largely his baby. To say he's exempt from judgement would be wrong. 

What's more, he's never been a great evaluator of talent. Even going back to his NFLN days. Loved watching him, and I hope he goes back, but too frequently he didn't know what he was talking about. 
I disagree. All Mayock could do was set the board up, and whether Gruden adhered to his advice or not...Gruden made the picks. This is the same Gruden who derailed the Bucs organization after their Super Bowl win with terrible personnel decisions after he was given full control. I'd be extremely curious to find out just how many of these 1st round busts Mayock agreed with. I guess we will never know..

Whether it was Mayock or Gruden, just thank them for taking Leatherwood #17 and leaving us Darrisaw.

@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

I disagree. All Mayock could do was set the board up, and whether Gruden adhered to his advice or not...Gruden made the picks. This is the same Gruden who derailed the Bucs organization after their Super Bowl win with terrible personnel decisions after he was given full control. I'd be extremely curious to find out just how many of these 1st round busts Mayock agreed with. I guess we will never know..
Below is a link to an article that analyzes the level of responsibility each had. Sure, there were some Gruden guys, but most fall on Mayock. Clelin Ferrell, a consensus late 1st rounder and probably the worst pick of the last 20 years, was taken at #4 overall after several unsuccessful attempts to trade down. Madness. There’s more to the draft than knowing which players to take. It’s about knowing value, knowing how to trade and maneuver around the draft to ensure you’re getting the best value. Mayock didn’t know what he was doing. 
I’ve seen Prisco’s tweet saying that Ferrell was forced on Mayock, but that’s likely bullshit. Mayock raved about him. And, according Raiders staffers, Gruden repeatedly chided Mayock about the Ferrell pick. Pretty ballsy to do that if you’re the one who made it. 

https://www.raidersbeat.com/insider-shed...aft-picks/

So there were Gruden guys and Mayock guys. Sounds like Ruggs was a Gruden pick. But go look up what Mayock said about Arnette, Abram, Leatherwood, etc. Then look up Mayock’s top 5 lists as an analyst (before becoming a GM). You’ll get a good laugh there. Also look up what he said about Johnny Football and Blaine Gabbert and Mark Sanchez and Darius Leonard and Deandre Hopkins. Sure, he hit on a few, but everyone does. For an analyst with zero scouting experience who was hired as a—ahem—General Manager…he sure was wrong an awful lot. 

I said when he was hired three years ago that the Raiders were making a huge mistake. I’m actually a little surprised he lasted this long. 

@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

Below is a link to an article that analyzes the level of responsibility each had. Sure, there were some Gruden guys, but most fall on Mayock. Clelin Ferrell, a consensus late 1st rounder and probably the worst pick of the last 20 years, was taken at #4 overall after several unsuccessful attempts to trade down. Madness. There’s more to the draft than knowing which players to take. It’s about knowing value, knowing how to trade and maneuver around the draft to ensure you’re getting the best value. Mayock didn’t know what he was doing. 
I’ve seen Prisco’s tweet saying that Ferrell was forced on Mayock, but that’s likely bullshit. Mayock raved about him. And, according Raiders staffers, Gruden repeatedly chided Mayock about the Ferrell pick. Pretty ballsy to do that if you’re the one who made it. 

So there were Gruden guys and Mayock guys. Sounds like Ruggs was a Gruden pick. But go look up what Mayock said about Arnette, Abram, Leatherwood, etc. Then look up Mayock’s top 5 lists as an analyst (before becoming a GM). You’ll get a good laugh there. Also look up what he said about Johnny Football and Blaine Gabbert and Mark Sanchez and Darius Leonard and Deandre Hopkins. Sure, he hit on a few, but everyone does. For an analyst with zero scouting experience who was hired as a—ahem—General Manager…he sure was wrong an awful lot. 

I said when he was hired three years ago that the Raiders were making a huge mistake. I’m actually a little surprised he lasted this long. 

Its all a gamble. Who would of thought Jon Lynch would do as well as he's done with no more experience then Mayock? I tend to believe Gruden had a lot more to do with the early picks because head coaches normally tend to know those players more and normally aren't scouting junkies. 

I'll say this, the Raiders missed on a lot of early picks under Gruden/Mayock but made up for those blunders in the later rounds picking up some real good players. They took Ferrill but turned around and also drafted Maxx Crosby in the 4th round of that same draft who's turned into an all-pro. The Ruggs pick was tragic but they grabbed Hunter Renfrow with a 5th round pick who has been terrific for them. You look at that Ferrill draft and they pulled Josh Jacob's, Maxx Crosby, Hunter Renfrow, and Foster Moreau who's been a valuable backup to Darren Waller. Overall that's a pretty damn good draft. 

@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

Its all a gamble. Who would of thought Jon Lynch would do as well as he's done with no more experience then Mayock? I tend to believe Gruden had a lot more to do with the early picks because head coaches normally tend to know those players more and normally aren't scouting junkies. 

I'll say this, the Raiders missed on a lot of early picks under Gruden/Mayock but made up for those blunders in the later rounds picking up some real good players. They took Ferrill but turned around and also drafted Maxx Crosby in the 4th round of that same draft who's turned into an all-pro. The Ruggs pick was tragic but they grabbed Hunter Renfrow with a 5th round pick who has been terrific for them. You look at that Ferrill draft and they pulled Josh Jacob's, Maxx Crosby, Hunter Renfrow, and Foster Moreau who's been a valuable backup to Darren Waller. Overall that's a pretty damn good draft. 
It's not terrible. But in context it's still probably bottom 5 or 10. Lynch has been OK. Deebo and Kittle stand out, but he's got quite a few big misses on his resume, too. Dante Pettis, Reuben Foster, Solomon Thomas...

@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

It's not terrible. But in context it's still probably bottom 5 or 10. Lynch has been OK. Deebo and Kittle stand out, but he's got quite a few big misses on his resume, too. Dante Pettis, Reuben Foster, Solomon Thomas...
There's not a GM in the league who hasn't missed out on top picks. Nobody bats 1000. Look no further then Hall of Famer Bill Polian's last decade with the Colts and you'll find some real stinkers in there. It's just the nature of the business and you almost need to be lucky as much as you need to be smart.