Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Touchdown Tommy had it right
Yeah I’m ready to move on from Kirk because thus far it hasn’t worked, but at the time it seemed like a great signing. Red flags should have probably started popping up when the Vikings regressed in Kirk’s first year here, but Kirk’s stats were good and Teddy/Keenum weren’t doing much with their new teams either… Fast forward to now and it does seem like the move was a mistake, but at the time I was fired up and I think so were most fans. For a million reasons it just hasn’t worked out, yet. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Yeah I’m ready to move on from Kirk because thus far it hasn’t worked, but at the time it seemed like a great signing. Red flags should have probably started popping up when the Vikings regressed in Kirk’s first year here, but Kirk’s stats were good and Teddy/Keenum weren’t doing much with their new teams either… Fast forward to now and it does seem like the move was a mistake, but at the time I was fired up and I think so were most fans. For a million reasons it just hasn’t worked out, yet. 
That's where I'm at too...I'm ok if we decide to move on and go a different route. It's just silly to go back and say Yep, Kirk is the reason for Zimmer's inability to adjust or manage timeouts or have loyalty to declining players. It hasn't worked out for a lot of reasons indeed.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
No. The Vikings were in their window and you don't run it back with a proven backup QB when you're in your window. There's no way Case would have repeated those numbers. The right decision was made and it hasnt worked out like the 60 other years for this team.
Plus they lost Shurmur who orchestrated that magic year.

I would take Case over our current situation. He looks pretty good with the Browns. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
No. The Vikings were in their window and you don't run it back with a proven backup QB when you're in your window. There's no way Case would have repeated those numbers. The right decision was made and it hasnt worked out like the 60 other years for this team.
This is the guy I would take back in a heartbeat.  Pat Shurmur to the run offense.  Man he was dialed in that year

Quote: @wiviking said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
There's definitely something to be said for having the right guy in the locker room, and Cousins definitely is not that guy, but the horseshoe fell out of Case's ass

That's Zimmer showed he couldn't adapt.The team was winning, but with a style of football that he didn't like. Instead of embracing it, he throws the guy under the bus. Telling reporters that he's just lucky.
Some people were trying to act like throwing Mond under the bus was the first time he did that. I was like remember Keenum. The repeated throwing players under the bus was not cool. Adapt or die, if you adapt you survive, if not you are out. If Cousins doesn't restructure, that will tell us a lot too. 

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@Skodin said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
The right decision was made, you mean the one that failed the organization and the men who made it?  The team created its window by having a team, not a team lead by a mercenary who's contract would hamstring the rest of the roster.  I don't think we needed Case to repeat his numbers in 2018 for us to be successful.  Drafting a QB to take the reigns would have been the smartest move to keeping the 52 other positions stacked.  

And what greatness would Keenum had to achieve to do as well as Kirk? Choke in week 17 vs your rival AT HOME, playing their back ups, and miss the playoffs.
So Kirk is solely to blame? We are playing that game again? Maybe the team could have not wasted all that money on Barr? Maybe they could have realized Rudolph was slow as shit and was only a blocker or red zone TE two years before they let him walk? Maybe the team could have hired a better OL coach for to help the OL that has been bottom 10 since 2017. 

53 players on the roster. I dont know about you but I recall scoring 7 points in the NFC Championship Game vs Philly so they went and got the best QB on the market. You were probably a mad fan when Kirk threw that dime to Thielen to beat the Saints a couple of years ago.
No Kirk isn't solely to blame but his contract is a huge part of it.  The reason they kept Rudy was because they believed they had a window they had just committed $80 million to.  Signing Tom Compton, a bum as our starting OG because he was cheap and Kirk's buddy, another huge mistake.  

It was the all in mentality that Zimmer was worried about instead of continued building from within.  He was right and it was the beginning of the end.   

We had the right building model and it was paying off, but reactionary moves by the former GM derailed that and now he's fired, the coach who was 39-25 before that signing, is also now fired.   The only time up until 2018 a team had won a super bowl with more than 20% of its cap committed to one guy was the 1994 Niners. 

One pass does not a career make, good lord.  Wow, he threw a DIME in a wild card game.  For all of the money and drama associated with this guy, all we have is that to show for it.  And you are telling me that that were no other options than committing to him AND THEN AGAIN re-signing him that couldn't produce more than that?  

Quote: @Skodin said:
@greediron said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
This is the guy I would take back in a heartbeat.  Pat Shurmur to the run offense.  Man he was dialed in that year
Yup.  When he was let go by the giants, I would have been on that phone immediately.  

Quote: @greediron said:
@Skodin said:
@greediron said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
Yup.  When he was let go by the giants, I would have been on that phone immediately.  
that IMO was one of the biggest failures by Rick/Zim.  That and cutting Carlson.  of course the biggest was taking Barr over Donald their first year together.

Quote: @Skodin said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@Skodin said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
The right decision was made, you mean the one that failed the organization and the men who made it?  The team created its window by having a team, not a team lead by a mercenary who's contract would hamstring the rest of the roster.  I don't think we needed Case to repeat his numbers in 2018 for us to be successful.  Drafting a QB to take the reigns would have been the smartest move to keeping the 52 other positions stacked.  

And what greatness would Keenum had to achieve to do as well as Kirk? Choke in week 17 vs your rival AT HOME, playing their back ups, and miss the playoffs.
So Kirk is solely to blame? We are playing that game again? Maybe the team could have not wasted all that money on Barr? Maybe they could have realized Rudolph was slow as shit and was only a blocker or red zone TE two years before they let him walk? Maybe the team could have hired a better OL coach for to help the OL that has been bottom 10 since 2017. 

53 players on the roster. I dont know about you but I recall scoring 7 points in the NFC Championship Game vs Philly so they went and got the best QB on the market. You were probably a mad fan when Kirk threw that dime to Thielen to beat the Saints a couple of years ago.
No Kirk isn't solely to blame but his contract is a huge part of it.  The reason they kept Rudy was because they believed they had a window they had just committed $80 million to.  Signing Tom Compton, a bum as our starting OG because he was cheap and Kirk's buddy, another huge mistake.  

It was the all in mentality that Zimmer was worried about instead of continued building from within.  He was right and it was the beginning of the end.   

We had the right building model and it was paying off, but reactionary moves by the former GM derailed that and now he's fired, the coach who was 39-25 before that signing, is also now fired.   The only time up until 2018 a team had won a super bowl with more than 20% of its cap committed to one guy was the 1994 Niners. 

One pass does not a career make, good lord.  Wow, he threw a DIME in a wild card game.  For all of the money and drama associated with this guy, all we have is that to show for it.  And you are telling me that that were no other options than committing to him AND THEN AGAIN re-signing him that couldn't produce more than that?  
We obviously differ on Cousins so there's not point in debating this when neither of us will change our minds. To my original statement though, what team is going to start a backup QB or look to draft one when they are in their window? The NFL window is so insanely short that you have to do whatever you can to maximize it, which is what the Vikings did and why it was the right move. Our window was created because we had a dominant defense which means it's so much smaller than teams who enter a window with a dominant QB, especially when one is in their rookie contract (Mahomes).