Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should they trade Hunter?
I do not think they will or should trade Hunter.  It would be selling low.

The Vikings re-did his deal last year and moved most of his 2022 salary and a good part of his 2023 salary into the 18M roster bonus that is payable on the 5th day of the new league year (March of 20220.  They also added two void years which was very smart by Brez.

I expect that they will take all (or most) of that 18M roster bonus and convert it to a restructure bonus and create needed cap space.  They do not need his permission to do this salary cap accounting move either.

For example, they can convert 12M which would lower his cap hit to 17.12M from the 26.12M which saves 9M.
In 2023, his cap hit rises to 11.62M from 8.62M.  Since the 2023 cap will likely be at about 220M or more, they can easily handle this increase.

It is fortunate that he has not played (not for this season) because it allows them to NOT give him a new deal (how can he ask for one after not playing the last two years) and allows both sides to see if he is truly worth a massive deal.  Win win.  IMHO.

If I am GM, I convert most of that roster bonus (depending on what else I wanted to do) and let him prove that he has can play 16 games and produce like he has in the past.

He has no leverage for a new contract.

Hunter, Cook, Barr, Cousins, are all expendable.. time for new blood from GM down

I think at this point the defense needs to be gutted.  Say what you will about who was injured, or didn't play, but that Saints game last year was the end of the vaunted Zim defense.  The 2 DT's we picked up were misses.  Pierce might be a good player, but he is never on the field.  Tomlinson hasn't shown me anything.  Barr is gone and there is 0 point in resigning him.  Vigil was ok but nothing that can't be replaced.  PP and Woods were on 1 year deals, and I don't think you break the bank for them.  Harry's extension was a miss.  Injured or not, the league knows what type of player Hunter is.  As much as I don't want to, its time to trade him while the value is there.  Same with Kendricks.  I like him, but I don't think he has what it takes to be a leader. 

For the bright spots, I do like what Wonnum and Bynum have shown.  Same with Dantzler and James Lynch at times. 

Quote: @El_Padre said:
I think at this point the defense needs to be gutted.  Say what you will about who was injured, or didn't play, but that Saints game last year was the end of the vaunted Zim defense.  The 2 DT's we picked up were misses.  Pierce might be a good player, but he is never on the field.  Tomlinson hasn't shown me anything.  Barr is gone and there is 0 point in resigning him.  Vigil was ok but nothing that can't be replaced.  PP and Woods were on 1 year deals, and I don't think you break the bank for them.  Harry's extension was a miss.  Injured or not, the league knows what type of player Hunter is.  As much as I don't want to, its time to trade him while the value is there.  Same with Kendricks.  I like him, but I don't think he has what it takes to be a leader. 

For the bright spots, I do like what Wonnum and Bynum have shown.  Same with Dantzler and James Lynch at times. 
Kendricks goes no where yet,  move Barr and see what he looks like.   I think kendricks is a better player without AB on the field. 

Why stop with Hunter? Cousins, Cook, Jefferson, Kendricks...OMFG think of the cap space!!! If we play our cards right, in a couple years, we can be the Lions.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Why stop with Hunter? Cousins, Cook, Jefferson, Kendricks...OMFG think of the cap space!!! If we play our cards right, in a couple years, we can be the Lions.
Actually, I'd be on board with Hunter and Cousins both being traded for 1st round picks and possibly multiple others.  Hunter can't stay on the field, and both would allow some FA shopping without their contracts on the Viking's books.
Yeah, I'm ok with rebuilding with a new GM and coach.  Having 3 1st round picks and a new GM that would know what to with them, would be great.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
Actually, I'd be on board with Hunter and Cousins both being traded for 1st round picks and possibly multiple others.  Hunter can't stay on the field, and both would allow some FA shopping without their contracts on the Viking's books.
Yeah, I'm ok with rebuilding with a new GM and coach.  Having 3 1st round picks and a new GM that would know what to with them, would be great.
Just what the Lions thought...about 5 or 6 times. And who is this GM "that would know what to do with them"? Just curious.

Actually, I'll go you one further. You can not only name your GM, but he can even be a GM who's not available. The BEST GM in the NFL. 

Go....

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
Just what the Lions thought...about 5 or 6 times. And who is this GM "that would know what to do with them"? Just curious.

Actually, I'll go you one further. You can not only name your GM, but he can even be a GM who's not available. The BEST GM in the NFL. 

Go....
Yeah, and who did the Lions beat this year, almost twice?  B)   I just want RS replaced.  I don't have a clue who is good, but I do know of one that isn't very good.  This team needs to get better at so many positions and rebuilding through the draft and FA for a new GM and coach seem like a good idea to me.  I'm not saying trade every good player we have, but I'd be ok with KC and Hunter leaving for multiple picks including 1st rounders for each.

Rather not sell low on Hunter, especially if they can make the money work even better like @MarkSP18 is saying. Hunter is the lone bright spot on the DL.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Rather not sell low on Hunter, especially if they can make the money work even better like @MarkSP18 is saying. Hunter is the lone bright spot on the DL.
Problem is,  hes not often on the DL,  his ass spends more time on the IR than the DL.  He's a freak when healthy,  but maybe his freak body is what is leading to being often injured?