Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if: Penix at #11, Powers-Johnson at #23?
I mean, yay for the OL in this scenario. I have less than zero excitement for either Penix or Nix. I personally think neither of them are worth the 11 pick and won’t solve the QB problem. But if they want to waste this year’s 11 pick, they’ll likely be picking in the top 10 again next year so whatever. 
If we don’t trade up, we’re likely punting on any idea of being competitive in the foreseeable future. 

Not when I say 'would it be so bad'?, that doesn't mean I think its ideal. And as many, including myself, keep mentioning is we have zero idea what the QB board for the Vikings looks like. Its hard to know how much smoke has been blown up our asses by the media and their 'sources' about the frenzy at the top 4 picks for QBs. Or lack thereof.

So many questions…
Why trade two 2nd rounders so we can have two 1st rounders just so we can draft two 2nd rounders in the 1st round? Why take a center in the 1st round at all? Ever? Take one in the 4th. Why pay Bradbury a $5M bonus if you were just going to replace him in the draft? Why ignore all that DL talent in the late 1st round in order to bolster a top half offensive line when Flores’s front three is practically begging for talent?  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
So many questions…
Why trade two 2nd rounders so we can have two 1st rounders just so we can draft two 2nd rounders in the 1st round? Why take a center in the 1st round at all? Ever? Take one in the 4th. Why pay Bradbury a $5M bonus if you were just going to replace him in the draft? Why ignore all that DL talent in the late 1st round in order to bolster a top half offensive line when Flores’s front three is practically begging for talent?  
lots of talent in this years draft,  not just at QB.  having a 2nd 1st rounder in our pocket gives options,  but you dont necessarily need to exercise those options and move up for a top QB.

you take a center in the first because since Matt Birk we havent had competent consistent play from the position and its becoming increasingly apparent that its a major issue with our QBs being smacked in the face.  

you got me on the bradbury bonus... he is not worth that much IMO,  there is very little upsize from him vs the others we had playing the position.

I go IOL because we have no push in a running game,  we have no anchor in the passing game,  the rules are set up around the O,  so you better be able to out score the opponents,  because other teams with decent QBs are going to find ways to hang 25+ on teams with decent defenses.  besides,  again throw away year,  with a crap load of cap space in 25 we can buy those DT horses,  but it would be nice to get more pieces in place on that OL so they can have some time to work together before we get after it in 25 and beyond.

So many questions…
I agree with you, but think Powers Johnson could also play left guard as well as center, which is still an unsettled position for us currently. Just put your best 5 lineman out there. If Bradbury is still one of those guys, so be it, but we know he's a liability in half the games he plays. If we draft a rookie quarterback who has to play earlier rather than later, having some semblance of an interior offensive line that can protect him would be helpful..

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
So many questions…
I agree with you, but think Powers Johnson could also play left guard as well as center, which is still an unsettled position for us currently. Just put your best 5 lineman out there. If Bradbury is still one of those guys, so be it, but we know he's a liability in half the games he plays. If we draft a rookie quarterback who has to play earlier rather than later, having some semblance of an interior offensive line that can protect him would be helpful..
The Vikings were reportedly very close to signing Christian Wilkins until the Raiders upped their offer. They clearly want and need some help on the DL. What's more, while Bradbury and Brandel can be upgraded, the rookie QB will be much better served with veterans there than rookies. It's just the more prudent move. 

Also, everybody and his brother wanted John Michael Schmitz last year. He graded out as the worst center in the NFL last year. I don't think you want your rookie QB to suffer through that. Before Bradbury fell off a cliff when Cousins went down, he was grading as a top 10 center. It's not a given the JPJ would even start over Bradbury. I think it's unlikely actually.  

Meanwhile our 5Ts are currently Jerry Tillery and Jonathan Bullard. I draft IOL on day three and use that second 1st on a DT...Murphy, Newton, Fiske. It's not just that DT is where the value is, it's the bigger need. 

@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
So many questions…
The Vikings were reportedly very close to signing Christian Wilkins until the Raiders upped their offer. They clearly want and need some help on the DL. What's more, while Bradbury and Brandel can be upgraded, the rookie QB will be much better served with veterans there than rookies. It's just the more prudent move. 

Also, everybody and his brother wanted John Michael Schmitz last year. He graded out as the worst center in the NFL last year. I don't think you want your rookie QB to suffer through that. Before Bradbury fell off a cliff when Cousins went down, he was grading as a top 10 center. It's not a given the JPJ would even start over Bradbury. I think it's unlikely actually.  

Meanwhile our 5Ts are currently Jerry Tillery and Jonathan Bullard. I draft IOL on day three and use that second 1st on a DT...Murphy, Newton, Fiske. It's not just that DT is where the value is, it's the bigger need. 
Yeah, not bad analysis here. I was reading that teams might want Powers-Johnson to play a year at OG before transitioning over to center. 

The Vikings desperately need a DT. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
So many questions…

Yeah, not bad analysis here. I was reading that teams might want Powers-Johnson to play a year at OG before transitioning over to center. 

I agree with both of you. I've been beating the drum for Byron Murphy for a while now, but you could certainly make an argument that addressing the unsettled interior of our offensive line is just as big of a need. Bottom line is we have a long list of needs on this roster which makes blowing our collective draft wads to move up for a quarterback might not be the best idea. We need players, lots of them, and good ones. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
So many questions…

I agree with both of you. I've been beating the drum for Byron Murphy for a while now, but you could certainly make an argument that addressing the unsettled interior of our offensive line is just as big of a need. Bottom line is we have a long list of needs on this roster which makes blowing our collective draft wads to move up for a quarterback might not be the best idea. We need players, lots of them, and good ones. 
Yep, might not be. Agreed. But....if they LOVE someone and they can get that person, then it's a discussion. Has to be. But KOC and KAM's careers would be tied to this QB. And rightly so. I'm not going to blow a gasket either way. But its obviously going to be very interesting. 

Here is the one thing we can all agree on;

About 1/2 the fanbase will be unhappy with the decisions they make.