Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Mac Jones Solidify His Gold Jacket Today?

Quote: @minny65 said:
When your team sucks some fans like to look around and attempt to justify their past post and opinions.

I thought Mac Jones was a late first, early second round QB and I would not have drafted him as we didn't.  But he has been the best rookie QB by far.  No idea his ceiling just like all the rest.  For now, and even knowing that he went to the best situation I would say I was wrong on him so far.

I loved Zack Wilson - he has looked bad overall.  Again, really shitty situation and too early - but I would say I am wrong on him so far.

I would have made an aggressive move up for Fields and said so at the time but when we didn't I was thrilled with getting Darrisaw, Wyatt, Mond for 14th.  

Other threads I have seen the last few weeks focus some fans attention away from our own disaster - deflection 

Crown Mac Jones
Stefanski is not a good HC
Paton is not a good GM

I guess those come from fans that did not want Jones, Sefanski or Paton and want to validate those opinions?  All three of those could have been on the Vikings and we might have been better off with them then Cousin's,Zimmer,Spelly????

I am not rooting for or against any one of the above.

I am rooting for us to make the right choices on a new HC - yes I am against Zimmer for years.

I think Spelly stays, and I have no problem with that but that will bias the situation with Cousins as opposed to a new GM.  I would be fine with this Wilf decision.

I don't think Cousins is our answer.  He is just not good enough in hard times to win us a few big games.  I am for trying to trade Cousins and certainly not extend him for salary cap relief.  
Say more!

Quote: @minny65 said:
When your team sucks some fans like to look around and attempt to justify their past post and opinions.

I thought Mac Jones was a late first, early second round QB and I would not have drafted him as we didn't.  But he has been the best rookie QB by far.  No idea his ceiling just like all the rest.  For now, and even knowing that he went to the best situation I would say I was wrong on him so far.

I loved Zack Wilson - he has looked bad overall.  Again, really shitty situation and too early - but I would say I am wrong on him so far.

I would have made an aggressive move up for Fields and said so at the time but when we didn't I was thrilled with getting Darrisaw, Wyatt, Mond for 14th.  

Other threads I have seen the last few weeks focus some fans attention away from our own disaster - deflection 

Crown Mac Jones
Paton is not a good GM

I guess those come from fans that did not want Jones, Sefanski or Paton and want to validate those opinions?  All three of those could have been on the Vikings and we might have been better off with them then Cousin's,Zimmer,Spelly????

I am rooting for us to make the right choices on a new HC - yes I am against Zimmer for years.

I think Spelly stays, and I have no problem with that but that will bias the situation with Cousins as opposed to a new GM.  I would be fine with this Wilf decision.

I don't think Cousins is our answer.  He is just not good enough in hard times to win us a few big games.  I am for trying to trade Cousins and certainly not extend him for salary cap relief.  
You're being too hard on yourself. Nobody knows what kind of QB Mac Jones is going to be. And nobody was proven right or wrong about him. Or Wilson or Fields or Lance or Lawrence. It's just too early. And I say this as someone who thought Jones was underrated. 

I really don't know why so many folks get boners over 18 TDs and 12 INTs. This is decidedly lower half. For a rookie? Yeah, not too bad. Patriots fans have a right to be encouraged. But he was the most pro-ready QB in the draft and he went to a good place. I think what he did is about what everyone expected, isn't it?

So before folks start bemoaning the fact that the Vikings didn't take this kid, let's all try to remember former rookies of the year named Vince Young, RGIII and Jameis Winston. Or others with numbers comparable to, or better than Jones, like Wentz, Goff, Dalton, Mariota....

In fact, knowing what they know now, would any of the teams who drafted Lawrence, Wilson, Lance or Fields change their pick to Jones given the chance? Not very likely. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@minny65 said:

Crown Mac Jones
Paton is not a good GM

You're being too hard on yourself. Nobody knows what kind of QB Mac Jones is going to be. And nobody was proven right or wrong about him. Or Wilson or Fields or Lance or Lawrence. It's just too early. And I say this as someone who thought Jones was underrated. 

I really don't know why so many folks get boners over 18 TDs and 12 INTs. This is decidedly lower half. For a rookie? Yeah, not too bad. Patriots fans have a right to be encouraged. But he was the most pro-ready QB in the draft and he went to a good place. I think what he did is about what everyone expected, isn't it?

So before folks start bemoaning the fact that the Vikings didn't take this kid, let's all try to remember former rookies of the year named Vince Young, RGIII and Jameis Winston. Or others with numbers comparable to, or better than Jones, like Wentz, Goff, Dalton, Mariota....

In fact, knowing what they know now, would any of the teams who drafted Lawrence, Wilson, Lance or Fields change their pick to Jones given the chance? Not very likely. 

We should  have drafted a QB and let him sit behind Cousins. We had the perfect scenario to groom a QB given Cousins durability. Imagine having what you call a pro ready qb sitting behind Cousins for a year.

No one advocated for Fields or Jones playing this year for the Vikings. The Jones vs Cousins comparison is simply nonesense.

We had a chance to execute the Chiefs Mahomes or the GB Rodgers playbook on how to develop a QB and we failed.
The decision looks worse when you start thinking about the cap implications and extendind Cousins and still needing a starting QB ( I hope we are not giving up on Mond this soon because that will make the decision to pass on a QB with our first pick really short sighted)

Its not like teams are not doing this currently.
- Greenbay currently has Love a first round pick (26th pick and GB first pick) sitting behind the best QB in football. 
- The 49ers have Lance (3rd overall pick) sitting behind Garapolo.

Lance and Love may never pan out but guess what…these teams tried and planned for the future at that position. They are also not being handcuffed when it comes to negotiations with their starting QBs as they have options.

So anyone that uses Cousins current stats to explain why we should not have drafted a pro ready or highly rated qb when the chance fell to us is simply shortsighted.

QB needy teams are typically forced into drafting and starting rookie QBs. Well developed and assembled teams draft and bring them along without pressure of starting.
There is a reason such QBs have a higher success rate

Quote: @mblack said:
@MaroonBells said:
@minny65 said:

Crown Mac Jones
Paton is not a good GM

We should  have drafted a QB and let him sit behind Cousins. We had the perfect scenario to groom a QB given Cousins durability. Imagine having what you call a pro ready qb sitting behind Cousins for a year.

No one advocated for Fields or Jones playing this year for the Vikings. The Jones vs Cousins comparison is simply nonesense.

We had a chance to execute the Chiefs Mahomes or the GB Rodgers playbook on how to develop a QB and we failed.
The decision looks worse when you start thinking about the cap implications and extendind Cousins and still needing a starting QB ( I hope we are not giving up on Mond this soon because that will make the decision to pass on a QB with our first pick really short sighted)

- Greenbay currently has Love a first round pick (26th pick and GB first pick) sitting behind the best QB in football. 

Lance and Love may never pan out but guess what…these teams tried and planned for the future at that position. They are also not being handcuffed when it comes to negotiations with their starting QBs as they have options.

So anyone that uses Cousins current stats to explain why we should not have drafted a pro ready or highly rated qb when the chance fell to us is simply shortsighted.

QB needy teams are typically forced into drafting and starting rookie QBs. Well developed and assembled teams draft and bring them along without pressure of starting.

Isn't this what the team is doing by drafting Mond? They drafted him with the 66th pick. You don't draft a QB that high & give up on him after only one season. It seems like you're saying that only QBs drafted in the first round have enough talent to be groomed to be eventual starters. The history of the NFL draft says otherwise.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
@pattersaur said:
Playing for a division crown… must be nice.

Jones played bad but he’s a rookie. What are Stafford and Cousins’ excuse?
With the Pats D we are 12-3 at worst. 

Rams are in first place in the NFC West. What's our point?
We used to have a defense as good as the Patriots are this season.  Problem is...  a couple years ago we decided to pay a QB a big percentage of our cap and don't have the luxury of a QB on a rookie contract anymore.  And our GM hasn't done a good job of replacing the expensive veteran defenders we had to let go to get under the cap.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@pattersaur said:

We used to have a defense as good as the Patriots are this season.  Problem is...  a couple years ago we decided to pay a QB a big percentage of our cap and don't have the luxury of a QB on a rookie contract anymore.  And our GM hasn't done a good job of replacing the expensive veteran defenders we had to let go to get under the cap.
Who do you want back? Rhodes? Waynes? Sendejo? 

Really?

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
@mblack said:
@MaroonBells said:
@minny65 said:

Crown Mac Jones
Paton is not a good GM

Isn't this what the team is doing by drafting Mond? They drafted him with the 66th pick. You don't draft a QB that high & give up on him after only one season. It seems like you're saying that only QBs drafted in the first round have enough talent to be groomed to be eventual starters. The history of the NFL draft says otherwise.
There is another thread that says we should draft a QB insinuating Mond is not developing. So I am jit the one giving up. He has not suited one game sides last game due to Covid. If you review my post again, I said I hope we are not giving up on Mond. If thats the case then they should have drafted a righer rated QB which they had a chance to.
I am saying they should have focussed on creating a viable option behind Cousins this draft. If as some say Mond does not seem to develop as they wished then they missed a rare opportunity.

The reason I gave the Mahomes, Live and Lance examples is because again, some say you dont draft a qb when you have a good qb and that you dont draft a player in the first round and let them sit. Those examples prove the contrary

Quote: @mblack said:
@Knucklehead said:
@mblack said:
@MaroonBells said:
@minny65 said:

Crown Mac Jones
Paton is not a good GM

There is another thread that says we should draft a QB insinuating Mond is not developing. He has jot suited one game sides last game due to Covid. If you review my post again, I said I hope we are not giving up on Mond. If thats the case then they should have drafted a righer rated QB which they had a chance to.
I am saying they should have focussdd on creating a viable option behind Cousins this draft. If as some say Mond does not seem to develop as they wished then they missed a rare  opportunity.
Just because the team drafted Mond, doesn't mean they shouldn't draft another. Look what Washington did: drafted RG III in round 1 and later in round 4 drafted Cousins. 

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
@Wetlander said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@pattersaur said:

Who do you want back? Rhodes? Waynes? Sendejo? 

Really?
I get really tired of people latching on to one part of a post and taking t completely out of context, did you miss the part where I said our GM hasn't done a good job of replacing those veteran defenders?  Yes, Rhodes, Waynes, and Harris were all very good players for us.  Yes, if we kept Waynes and Harris our secondary likely would have been better the past two seasons.  We also cut Griffen and Robison for cap purposes as well as Linval Joseph.  It wasn't just our secondary that took a hit.

At the end of the day, we picked Cousins.  At that point, we made the decision to draft and develop to fit young players on cheap contracts around our QB.  The problem is Spielman has whiffed on both his CB picks in the first round and we haven't put an emphasis on replacing the pass rushers we lost.  Wonnum might have some promise, but it's been 3 years since we let Robison go and Griffen left the year after.

I know some love to fault Zimmer for everything wrong with this team, but Rick certainly shares as much (or more) of the blame for our defense going backwards.  We've taken a big step back in overall talent and all these 1-year bandaids on defense isn't a sustainable way for Zimmer to have a good defense. 

We can talk about these things and not be a dick to each other.  I'm not sure why everything has to be an internet battle.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@mblack said:
@Knucklehead said:
@mblack said:
@MaroonBells said:
@minny65 said:

Crown Mac Jones
Paton is not a good GM

There is another thread that says we should draft a QB insinuating Mond is not developing. He has jot suited one game sides last game due to Covid. If you review my post again, I said I hope we are not giving up on Mond. If thats the case then they should have drafted a righer rated QB which they had a chance to.
I am saying they should have focussdd on creating a viable option behind Cousins this draft. If as some say Mond does not seem to develop as they wished then they missed a rare  opportunity.
Just because the team drafted Mond, doesn't mean they shouldn't draft another. Look what Washington did: drafted RG III in round 1 and later in round 4 drafted Cousins. 
Absolutely agree. But the QB we are talking about as of now is projected to be a first round pick ( a top 5 QB per some sites). He is not as polished as Fields, or Jones (whatever that means but has a big arm). That is the entire reason of my angst. If the ranking is correct, we would have to trade up quite a bit to have a shot at him (wasting the so called valuable picks we say we need to hold. The same picks we need to shore up our defense and Oline given we cant get top end talent during free agency for cap reasons). If it were a lower pick that will be OK. That would fit exactly the scenario you listed above