Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT- My sons season (Parent brag thread)
Nothing from me is sports related.

TLBig GrinR Everything is good, children are doing well

My daughter has given birth to 2 beautiful baby girls in the last 2+ years. My oldest granddaughter, now just over 2 was born 7 weeks premature and is now thriving and an absolute joy. My youngest granddaughter is 7 1/2 months old and the happiest baby I’ve ever seen.
My daughter went into HELP Syndrome while giving birth to her oldest daughter and nearly died. She was monitored for more than a month post birth for high blood pressure that took three different medications to bring under control. It took several months for her BP to become normal again. She lives 2 1/2 hours away, so when we got the call, we threw some clothes in a bag and started driving down I-65. About half way there, we got a call that said they were going to try and get her to 34 weeks and then do a c-section. A 1/2 hour out, we got a call saying they were taking her in right then for the c-section. 10 minutes out, we got the call she had given birth. It was a frantic and emotional day, but every time my wife would start crying, I’d say “Everything is going to be ok”, more for myself than her. But, “Everything is ok” now.
She works for Riley’s Children’s Hospital and they created a job for her to keep her when she said she was going to quit to raise her girls. She now works from home 3 days a week.

My oldest son had a full scholarship to Purdue University, only to come home after the first year and say that college wasn’t for him. 
My wife was devastated, I said, You’re an adult now, go get an adult job. Real words of wisdom, I know.
He became the assistant manager at an oil change place and then said he was going to apply at the IBEW local to get into their electricians apprenticeship. I honestly thought he was telling me that to just make me feel good.
He applied, he got in, and is do very well. He has 1 more year to go to become a journeyman, and is engaged to a very wonderful young lady.

My youngest is 20 and finding his way. He tried the local technical school, but when COVID-19 hit he hated doing the online classes and got a full time job at the local Menard’s. He hates it there.
I’ve never been a guy who thinks that kids need to know what they want at 17 or 18 years old. It takes time and things work out if you keep plugging away from doing the right things in life.

Happy Holidays to everyone. Whatever holiday you celebrate, I hope it is filled with love and happiness. We’re all in this thing together and need each other to get through it all.

Please contribute to this thread, it’s a feel good to see others doing well. 

Quote: @Riphawkins said:
Nothing from me is sports related.

TLBig GrinR Everything is good, children are doing well

My daughter has given birth to 2 beautiful baby girls in the last 2+ years. My oldest granddaughter, now just over 2 was born 7 weeks premature and is now thriving and an absolute joy. My youngest granddaughter is 7 1/2 months old and the happiest baby I’ve ever seen.
My daughter went into HELP Syndrome while giving birth to her oldest daughter and nearly died. She was monitored for more than a month post birth for high blood pressure that took three different medications to bring under control. It took several months for her BP to become normal again. 
She lives 2 1/2 hours away, so when we got the call, we threw some clothes in a bag and started driving down I-65. About half way there, we got a call that said they were going to try and get her to 34 weeks and then do a c-section. A 1/2 hour out, we got a call saying they were taking her in right then for the c-section. 10 minutes out, we got the call she had given birth. It was a frantic and emotional day, but every time my wife would start crying, I’d say “Everything is going to be ok”, more for myself than her. But, “Everything is ok” now.
She works for Riley’s Children’s Hospital and they created a job for her to keep her when she said she was going to quit to raise her girls. She now works from home 3 days a week.

My oldest son had a full scholarship to Purdue University, only to come home after the first year and say that college wasn’t for him. 
My wife was devastated, I said, You’re an adult now, go get an adult job. Real words of wisdom, I know.
He became the assistant manager at an oil change place and then said he was going to apply at the IBEW local to get into their electricians apprenticeship. I honestly thought he was telling me that to just make me feel good.
He applied, he got in, and is do very well. He has 1 more year to go to become a journeyman, and is engaged to a very wonderful young lady.

My youngest is 20 and finding his way. He tried the local technical school, but when COVID-19 hit he hated doing the online classes and got a full time job at the local Menard’s. He hates it there.
I’ve never been a guy who thinks that kids need to know what they want at 17 or 18 years old. It takes time and things work out if you keep plugging away from doing the right things in life.

Happy Holidays to everyone. Whatever holiday you celebrate, I hope it is filled with love and happiness. We’re all in this thing together and need each other to get through it all.

Please contribute to this thread, it’s a feel good to see others doing well. 
Dang, what a ride, and amazing how blessed we are after it all.

Good for your oldest.  Honestly.  He is choosing his path and that is more important than trying to please someone else.  We have some that are "finding their way" as you put it.  Each kid is different and have their own challenge.  Often the best option is to give them the space to figure it out.  

I honestly dont know why schools dont focus more on trades.  Here in Hawaii, there is a dire need for electricians, plumbers, welders, auto tech, construction...you can pretty much “fill in a number” if you have any of those services / skills.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
I honestly dont know why schools dont focus more on trades.  Here in Hawaii, there is a dire need for electricians, plumbers, welders, auto tech, construction...you can pretty much “fill in a number” if you have any of those services / skills.
But here's a big part of the problem that doesn't get talked about: kids don't want these trade jobs. Ask the people that try to set up apprenticeship programs for kids that just graduate high school: they have to go to like 4 high schools to sign up 5 kids. Then 2 of them quit immediately, 2 stay for the first check then quit and you get maybe 1 candidate out of it.