Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT- My sons season (Parent brag thread)
So as many know, my family moved fo Maui from So. CA. a few years ago.  My son (who has played football since he was five)
caught on with the local Pop Warner team, and Central Maui “Big Boys” (8th going into 9th grade)

COVID then pretty much put an end to his freshman year, nonetheless he weight trained at home and worked with a couple of the Maui HS coaches who run a linemen program here called “Tribe”

This is his sophomore year, and he was one of just a handful of sophomores to make varsity.  At the start of the season he was fighting with a junior for starting DE.  Kyle (my son) is 6’, 180 (just turned 16) and was trying to take a juniors job at 6’ 3”, 320.  Now you would think this would be a slam dunk for the junior, but not so....Kyle is fast off the ball, runs a 4.9 40, and is slippery.  nonetheless he was 2 at LDE, to spell the junior when he got gassed. When he went in, he did great, several solo tackles, TFL, didnt lose contain, etc.

Third game of the season our center got injured.  (Also, was struggling - sailing snaps, missing assignments) There really was no backup, so Kyle said he would finish the game at center. He took the wristband, went out early before the end of halftime to practice and finished the game without any missed snaps, or assignments, he took to it quickly.  

Next game he started at center, and held the starting center spot for the rest of the season. He graded out each week with the highest blocking percentage, and has started making line calls (inside zone, Ace, duece, ram, lion, solo, man). hes fast enough to scrape and get to the second level, or make the line call when defense send a blitz. He calls out MDM, and gets into players heads. (To the point where a kid punched him in the chest, and Kyle said “Thanks for the first down bitch”. the kid was ejected and then started razzing the LB that replaced the one tossed.

After the last game my wife came up and said, “is Kyle a poor sport?”

I tried explaining the details of head games / talking shit in the trenches / finding your “nasty” but she didnt understand it.
You WANT nasty, bad attitude, self-confidence, otherwise grab some bench.

so......what are kiddos doing that youre stoked about?

V83

Great to hear V83.  Glad to hear your son is making a name for himself in the trenches.  Love reading about that.

My junior started  varsity this year at OLB/Safety.  Lots of competition at the spot and he didn't start every game, but he really should have IMHO.  He did his job, didn't get sucked inside and played well.  Would like to see a bit more of the nasty in his play, but like his brothers, he is a great kid and that doesn't always translate well to football.  But one of the kids that he battled for positions with cost his team big time with his uncontrolled anger, getting 2 personal foul penalties for childishly slapping the ball out of the hands of an opponent and then getting kicked out.  That drive should have ended at the 15 yard line, but his 30 yards in penalties gave a first down and let the other team drive for the lead.

Anyway, my boy also would drop down to DE in some pass rush situations and still showed he was still the best pass rusher on the team.  He is working hard to gain weight so he can go back to DE next year and is working with 2 other DEs to help improve the pass rush.

I totally get the competition at DE Greed....Sounds similar to the situation here...

Just keep grinding and his chance will come, when it does, coaches will “see the light” because you cant coach passion & heart.  

How about others? kids heading home for Holidays? College news? new jobs?

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
I totally get the competition at DE Greed....Sounds similar to the situation here...

Just keep grinding and his chance will come, when it does, coaches will “see the light” because you cant coach passion & heart.  

My son and his fiancé will close on their new house they built in Denver end of this month. Will be married in May. Both have great jobs and are happy and healthy. I highly recommend a job in tech if your kids can get one, they are well compensated. 

Oldest settling in to his new job. Got out of chemistry, using his JD now.

Youngest sold his condo for a tidy profit and bought a house.

Everyone healthy.

awesome gang keep ‘em coming - sadly had a couple friends pass away - love hearing about “the good stuff”

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:

It isn't the competition, it is his build.  He has always been their best DE, but at varsity level he is just too light at 160#.  His understanding of setup, hands and different moves makes him a dangerous pass rusher, but he would be a liability as an every down guy.  He is also obviously valuable as a coverage LB/safety.  He is working hard to put on the weight tho, very self motivated.

3rd son will graduate from college in the spring with business degree.  Another highly motivated driven kid.  My eldest son is still looking for work, donated a charity auction event playing piano, so he is still active in his music, just hard to come by work in his industry.

Great news VG83. Good for your son. His hard work paid off.

Greed, I remember the piano selection you sent me a while back was just amazing. Hope something opens for him along his love of music. Must be looking forward to the college graduation also. very exciting, I love it when goals are met and a new path opens.
yeah Kyle looking to add weight too....wish he could take some of mine.