Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom Moore Nuggets
I also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't look at the schedule and say its a short week,  let's wait until Friday and that gives any interem coach an extra 3 days to get his shit together.

The Vikings have the facilities, the stadium, the ownership, the roster and the fanbase to be attractive to a HC candidate. If you are going to fire Zimmer than you really should fire Spielman as well and start fresh. But I think the Wilfs like Spielman and he'll remain.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
The Vikings have the facilities, the stadium, the ownership, the roster and the fanbase to be attractive to a HC candidate. If you are going to fire Zimmer than you really should fire Spielman as well and start fresh. But I think the Wilfs like Spielman and he'll remain.
Ah yes...."starting fresh." The opium of every NFL fan. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:

Well, every franchise that has improved and won a Superbowl had to start 'fresh' at some point. I mean, Zimmer has had 8 years, its not like the guy hasn't had a chance. To your point, nothing is guaranteed with a new regime and I realize that. As far as opium goes, we're all NFL drug addicts anyway.

It's over Johnny.

I think they're going to lose vs Pitt..But Zimmer will finish the season. 

Something tells me the holiday spirit isnt permeating the halls in Eagan about now. 

I don't think its a talent issue. Zim has to go. Rick? Maybe...but I lean towards keeping him.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
I don't think its a talent issue. Zim has to go. Rick? Maybe...but I lean towards keeping him.
Always the $1mm question right? Talent vs Coaching

I think there is a lot of talent on the squad that's over-rated and/or over the hill.

If it wasn't for the magnificence of the offensive skill players? This team would be sniffing a top 3 pick. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:

Well, every franchise that has improved and won a Superbowl had to start 'fresh' at some point. I mean, Zimmer has had 8 years, its not like the guy hasn't had a chance. To your point, nothing is guaranteed with a new regime and I realize that. As far as opium goes, we're all NFL drug addicts anyway.
Zimmer needs to go. And the guy who replaces him will likely want to make a few changes based on his own style of offense and/or defense.

That doesn't mean you take the NFL's 2nd youngest roster and tear it up. So you can have, what, the NFL's 1st youngest roster? 

There is one--and really only one--player the Vikings need to make a tough decision about: Kirk Cousins. So they will either trade him (possible, but depends a lot on who the HC is, what they think of Mond and the
22 QB class) or extend him (a little more likely IMO). Either way, they free up a whole helluva lot of cap space.

Miscellaneous Thoughts about this thread:
  • The NFL draft is also the opium of NFL fandom.
  • The reason to fire Zim now -- he is the Kirk Cousins of coaches -- he cares deeply about his personal statistics and little about player development.  The Vikings should be in player development mode -- let all those 6 and 7 round draft picks on the field, put injured starters on IR.  Won't happen if Zim control game day decisions.
  • The Wilfs must not hire a coach that has paid his dues (Zimmer and Childress).  Find the brightest young mind with real leadership and hire him.
  • Firing Zim now also lets the Wilfs truly assess the coaching staff and Spielman's draft picks without having to figure out Zimmer's influence.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
Zim yes. Rick I'm 50/50 on. Before the season I'd say keep him for sure, but the fact is the OL is STILL bad, all the money we spent on defense the past 2 offseasons has gone up in smoke, and Kirk is due $44M next year to captain a bad team. There are strong arguments for both keeping him and booting him.

But yeah firing Zim on a short week before TNF was always unlikely. If we beat PIT he finishes out the season for sure and there's actually still a real chance we make playoffs. If we get blown out by a mediocre PIT team at home then I wouldn't be shocked if he's gone on Friday.