Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is why the Vikings wanted him....
Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
This makes me think about how the Vikings playing to win (by not starting backups) in week 17 last year still pisses me off.
Even worse, they went into that game with Dalvin, Reiff and Rudy all out for various reasons so why not start Stanley just to see if there's a glimmer of anything there and help out draft position too?  Nope, they play Kirk, who picks that week to throw for 400 yards, win 37-35 and F our draft position.

If not Slater, we also could have wound up with Justin Fields instead of the Bears.  Think he might look a little better sitting for a year and then throwing to JJ, AT and KJ than whoever the Bears are throwing out there?

Quote: @"JR44" said:
The biggest regret is from this draft is more likely about not taking Mac Jones who was just sitting there than not trading up for a LT when we got a pretty good one and still traded down. 
THANK YOU!

The biggest regret is from this draft is more likely about not taking Mac Jones who was just sitting there than not trading up for a LT when we got a pretty good one and still traded down. 
We can play this game all day long, every team in the NFL: Draft Hindsight 101. Minnesota DESPERATELY needed a LT and got what appears to be a pretty decent one. QB is not why Minnesota has lost games. And Mond, whether you agree with the pick or not is a more raw prospect and will need time. Everyone understands that. He's not going to play in front of Cousins....and neither would Mac Jones have. No idea if Mond is going to pan out, honestly the odds are probably against that. 

If you're going to crown Mac Jones, then bag on the teams that took a QB ahead of him. Cousins has 18 TDs and 2 INTs. 36 passes of 20+ yards or more. #1 rated QB in the red zone. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JR44" said:
We can play this game all day long, every team in the NFL: Draft Hindsight 101. Minnesota DESPERATELY needed a LT and got what appears to be a pretty decent one. QB is not why Minnesota has lost games. And Mond, whether you agree with the pick or not is a more raw prospect and will need time. Everyone understands that. He's not going to play in front of Cousins....and neither would Mac Jones have. No idea if Mond is going to pan out, honestly the odds are probably against that. 

If you're going to crown Mac Jones, then bag on the teams that took a QB ahead of him. Cousins has 18 TDs and 2 INTs. 36 passes of 20+ yards or more. #1 rated QB in the red zone. 

True true.
I don't care about the teams before the Vikings. I care about what the Vikings did. Just as you said QB is not why the Vikings lost games. Neither is LT.  Jones would not have played but his odds are better than Mond's. As it stands today we still do not have a sustainable future. Our only way forward (as of now) is paying more money to Cousins and playing gymnastics with the cap. 
Then there is this little nugget, QBs are hard to find. When you have a chance to draft a potentially good one you do so. 
We both agree that no one knows how the careers of Mond or Jones end up but as of today I think we should have taken Jones. 
We may agree to disagree 

The draft is nothing more than a crapshoot...example, Vince Young to the Raiders or Matt Lienhart to the Cardinals...The players themselves decide how they approach the NFL, by working harder and dedicating themselves to get better and better.  Some take that next step, some don't.

Let's give Mac Jones another year or two before we crown him the next Brady. Don't forget Mark Sanchez was being called "The Sanchize" in New York his rookie year. RGIII, Sam Bradford and Vince Young--all rookies of the year. Trubisky, Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota--all very promising rookie seasons. 

The rookie QBs are doing exactly what they were expected to do. But they'll even out over time. 

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Darrisaw has fine upside and doing well considering his injury and how long it kept him out of so many reps. But he's not the talent that Slater is JUST ONE PICK BEFORE MINNESOTA.  :#
IMO - Darrisaw has every bit the talent that Slater has now let's coach him up and see if he can continue to get better.  Yea we did not get the lucky break like when the Eagles took Reagor over Jefferson.  But I think we got very lucky with that the Raiders picked Alex Leatherwood ahead of Darrisaw.  The vast majority of analysis had Leatherwood as a 2 or 3rd talent and the Raiders took him at 17.  It was one of the early surprises of the draft that Mayock/Gruden are known for.  Leatherwood has been bad...started at Tackle and moved to Guard and has struggled there as well.  

PFF has Darrisaw with 316 snaps, 1 penalty and 1 sack

PFF Slater with 612 snaps, 3 penalties and 2 sacks

I wanted Slater and had him ranked higher than Sewell, so I was frustrated when he lasted so long only to be snapped up one pick before ours. :# Agree that he (and not a QB) is who we tried to move up for, and that he would've been the pick at 14 without trading down. 

All that said, it's not like Slater is mountain ranges better than Darrisaw. I'm sure they'll even out a little over time. But think about this: Darrisaw's injury concern is likely what dropped him. If Slater's the pick, he starts right away and do the Vikings lose three of their first four games? Remember, Rashod Hill was terrible in those games. 

Ha! Mayock is clueless. Leatherwood, Ruggs, Arnette, Ferrell. Mayock drafts look like a who's who of biggest NFL draft bust of the last 3 seasons. Great TV guy but his player evals were objectively, demonstrably terrible. And they always were. People on this board would get mad at me when I would say that--I guess because Mayock was so likable as a media scout? Dunno, but it's sure funny a multi-billion dollar org couldn't pull the resources to see the same thing I saw. Also funny that some on this board were frustrated we didn't fire Spielman at the time and hire Mayock.  =)

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JR44" said:
Let's give Mac Jones another year or two before we crown him the next Brady. Don't forget Mark Sanchez was being called "The Sanchize" in New York his rookie year. RGIII, Sam Bradford and Vince Young--all rookies of the year. Trubisky, Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota--all very promising rookie seasons. 

The rookie QBs are doing exactly what they were expected to do. But they'll even out over time. 

David Carr, remember the freaking out how the Vikings took the wrong QB when they took Teddy over Carr,  after their first year or so?  Average career,  but definitely not worth the angst it caused some at the time.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JR44" said:

David Carr, remember the freaking out how the Vikings took the wrong QB when they took Teddy over Carr,  after their first year or so?  Average career,  but definitely not worth the angst it caused some at the time.
I think you mean his brother Derek, but yeah. Funny, that draft. First two QB, Bortles and Manziel, out of the NFL. The next three, Teddy, Carr and Jimmy G, still starting. 

I disagree with the idea that QB is not why we lost
games.  I think that comes from a mindset
of needing to have (some)one to blame and the need to rank people.  Football is a team game, and for many of our
close losses you could probably make the argument that if any handful of
players had made 1-2 plays a little better we would have won, and it’s really easy
to hone in on the guy who missed a kick or the guy who fumbled.  It’s a lot harder to hone in on the guy who
threw the 6 yard pass short of the sticks rather than the 12 yard completion he
could have had that would have kept the drive going.  I think it’s hard to argue that in a lot of
our losses Cousins goes missing for large chunks of the game.  QB is the single biggest reason for winning
or losing any given football game.