Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is why the Vikings wanted him....

He's been really good this year and it's noticeable. Outside of the LAC game I have been happy with Darrisaw

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
https://twitter.com/TaylorBisciotti/stat...3785986049
I do think he was our target with the weak trade up offer to Carolina (was it at 8th pick) but obviously we were not that serious and Rick took the chance that he might fall to us at 14.  Of course he went 13 to SD.  That allowed Spelly to do that trade down from 14  to 23 with the Jets and pick up pick 66 (Mond) and 86 (Wyatt Davis).  Obviously, Rick did not value Darrisaw or AVT (who the Jets took at 14) as worthy of the 14th pick.  Then I think Spelly lucked out that the Raiders took Leatherwood (who has struggled) ahead of Darrisaw and he fell into our laps.  

I think I was probably the biggest Darrisaw advocate pre draft.  I had him ranked only slightly behind Slater while others saw more of a gap.  Don't get me wrong, I would have drafted Slater at 14 if available but I was not willing to trade up for him and thought Darrisaw would be a fine pick at 14 with Slater gone which was in about 100% of the drafts I saw.  Slater is a stud lets hope Darrisaw continues to play well and gets better and solidifies our LT position then we would have Darrisaw, Mond and Davis vs Slater?  Makes it a little closer if Darrisaw becomes a stud and then you add if Mond or Davis turn into starters then I would think we might have the edge.  But at the end of the day I think Spelly saw the LT position clearly - favored Slater but unable to move up for much capital and then willing to risk a fall for Darrisaw.

(this is also not revisionists on my part - I really wanted Darrisaw and Guard coming out of this draft - the only other scenario I wanted that would have changed that was for Spelly to move up into the 9/10/11 range for Fields.  I would not have had a problem with that at all as I mentioned during the draft.  But when we didn't move up for Fields and we dropped down and still got Darrisaw I was thrilled.  Spelly obviously did not grade Mac Jones that high either.   

This makes me think about how the Vikings playing to win (by not starting backups) in week 17 last year still pisses me off.

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
This makes me think about how the Vikings playing to win (by not starting backups) in week 17 last year still pisses me off.
which is why if the team is going in a different direction they would be better off parting ways with the coach/ gm during the season than letting them make stupid moves right to the end.  zimmer was IMO coaching to avoid getting fired and not doing what was best for the franchise.

Darrisaw has fine upside and doing well considering his injury and how long it kept him out of so many reps. But he's not the talent that Slater is JUST ONE PICK BEFORE MINNESOTA.  :#

Darrisaw has fine upside and doing well considering his injury and how long it kept him out of so many reps. But he's not the talent that Slater is JUST ONE PICK BEFORE MINNESOTA.  :#
Both have their careers yet to be defined.  So many want to play what if and gaze longingly at the one that got away and they are only 10 games into their rookie seasons.  People need to remember that we likely would have took the wrong player anyway if we had moved up or just lost out for a better pick.... this is the Vikings after all. 

IMO - Darrisaw has every bit the talent that Slater has now let's coach him up and see if he can continue to get better.  Yea we did not get the lucky break like when the Eagles took Reagor over Jefferson.  But I think we got very lucky with that the Raiders picked Alex Leatherwood ahead of Darrisaw.  The vast majority of analysis had Leatherwood as a 2 or 3rd talent and the Raiders took him at 17.  It was one of the early surprises of the draft that Mayock/Gruden are known for.  Leatherwood has been bad...started at Tackle and moved to Guard and has struggled there as well.  

PFF has Darrisaw with 316 snaps, 1 penalty and 1 sack

PFF Slater with 612 snaps, 3 penalties and 2 sacks

The biggest regret is from this draft is more likely about not taking Mac Jones who was just sitting there than not trading up for a LT when we got a pretty good one and still traded down. 

Jones would likely bust behind the Vikings O-line. Vikings need a guy that can move his feet and make plays off script. That is why Keenum was so successful. He doesn't have much of an arm, but he is like Houdini when under pressure and can make something happen after the play breaks down.
Darrisaw is going to be that guy they have been looking for. Hopefully they can get a solid interior line and a mobile QB next time, unless you think Mond will be the guy. Odds are against it though.