Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mason Cole as starting center: 'We've had that conversation'
Quote: @Mattyman said:
Bradbury  getting Covid is what prompted  the change,  it wasn't a  coaching decision.

Vikings have a history of playing the higher draft pick.
Rashod Hill getting hurt prompted the change to O'Neill couple years ago, so that wasn't a coach's decision either. But the decision was a good one. 

Wouldn't surprise me if they stuck with Bradbury though, and not just because he was a high draft pick. Cole seemed better in pass pro at first glance, but after further review, he was walked back a few times in the Charger game.

Whoever plays center is going to have to anchor a little better than this against Kenny Clark. 

https://twitter.com/LukeBraunNFL/status/...75904?s=20

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Mattyman said:
Bradbury  getting Covid is what prompted  the change,  it wasn't a  coaching decision.

Rashod Hill getting hurt prompted the change to O'Neill couple years ago, so that wasn't a coach's decision either. But the decision was a good one. 

Wouldn't surprise me if they stuck with Bradbury though, and not just because he was a high draft pick. Cole seemed better in pass pro at first glance, but after further review, he was walked back a few times in the Charger game.

Whoever plays center is going to have to anchor a little better than this against Kenny Clark. 

Its pretty easy to cherry pick centers getting walked back by almost every team. NTs are monsters today. But Cole has played well, there's no denying it. But I agree with you: I think Bradbury will slide back into his starting role and Cole will slide back to the bench. I think this because its just so Viking to do that. I'd actually be shocked if they didn't knowing this staff.

@Mattyman said:

I see him getting walked back,  but I didnt see him whiff or get put on his ass like we had seen with Bradbury,  IMO the move is to stay with Cole and try and use the passing game more to keep the chains moving... work in the run to keep the defense honest.  we need the O to stay on the field and I have my doubts that we get away with a run heavy game plan against the packers this year.

Not sure there's a big difference between Bradbury and Cole.  I didn't notice a drop-off in play while Bradbury was out.  I would say Cole's level of play probably sends a message to the team that they can trust him.  It also sends the message that Bradbury really isn't any better than his backup.  It will be interesting to see if Cole remains the starter.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Mattyman said:

I see him getting walked back,  but I didnt see him whiff or get put on his ass like we had seen with Bradbury,  IMO the move is to stay with Cole and try and use the passing game more to keep the chains moving... work in the run to keep the defense honest.  we need the O to stay on the field and I have my doubts that we get away with a run heavy game plan against the packers this year.
True:

Do we want a walk-back to the QB = Cole?
or a run-back to the QB = Bradbury?

@TBro said:
I didn't get to watch the game as I was traveling on Sunday. I did listen in the car. I thought PA, Bercich, and Lieber all commented how much pressure Cousins was under up the middle. Was that Cole getting beat, Udoh getting beat, or a combination of both? If anyone watched the game film and isolated the OLine, it would be great to get some intel. Against a good defense, is Cole really that much better than Bradbury? Kenny Clark is going to destroy us up the middle on Sunday. 
The Vikings did allow a lot of pressure up the middle, but my impression was that it mostly came from mishandled blitzes up the middle and not necessarily players getting beaten 1v1. 

Kenny Clark has been trouble for Bradbury in the past. It might be a good time to see if Cole can fare any better. Can always put Bradbury back in if Cole struggles. 

We beat Green Bay last year behind a ridiculous day from Dalvin: 224 total yards and 4 TDs. If we want to repeat that, we might be better off with Garrett. 
That would sort of point to an issue with the protection call made by Cole.  Whether it is just an experience thing that can be overcome or not, that is the question that likely determines who starts.  Neither is physically overpowering, so the one that makes the right calls probably keeps the job.

Word is Bradbury will be starting Sunday. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
so we are playing for draft picks... nice.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Word is Kenny Clark just heard this too and started smiling

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
Word is Kenny Clark just heard this too and started smiling
a fat man happy dance was recently registering a 4.5 on the richter scale centered over the north east wisconsin region of the united states.

[Image: dance-fat.gif]