Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: OMG!!! I found MY NEW way to go to work!!! Who wants one??!!
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
Personal drones will fly the skies and one day airports as we know them will
be obsolete.  Imagine calling Uber in January from your home in MN, ND, or
SD and having a ride directly to your Florida beach house rental.  I think it could/will
happen.
I don't see that happening. The first grotesque accident (and it will happen) where one of these falls out of the sky and the inhabitant makes a pulpy mess, and you'll see interest wane significantly. Also, the ability to go up to 30,000 feet and cruise in pressurized air makes for quick and incredibly safe travel. Going 60 mph from Minneapolis to Florida would only take what, 25 hours?  =) And what about bad weather at low altitudes? How many times would you have to stop to recharge/refuel? Its cold up in the air the farther you get. 

This is cool and all but for mass transit? No way. For personal trips that are short or in high density cities? I see more of a possibility for sure in that regard. But still: look at that tiny ass carriage. And hit one bird and it could bash your face in or cause you to plummet to your death. Doesn't look at all practical from any standpoint other than its 'really cool'. 
I wasn't thinking this will happen next year, but this is just the start of it.  I'm thinking decades (maybe 2 or 3) from now.  Yes, I do think this technology will one day make the ridiculously complicated airports as we know them obsolete.  There are now rockets taking people into space for the fun of it.  I think all transportation is going to change drastically in the next 20 to 30 years.
I think the direction for the next 20 years (short term) is electric cars (more of them) and autonomous vehicles. We already have a highway/road/street system in which to use. The infrastructure is there. Personal flying like in the OP? Lots more to figure out from a logistics aspect. From a safety aspect. Cost. Sustainability. ETC. Airports aren't complicated, its just a mass transit system. It inherently can be challenging moving lots of people around in the air when safety is the top concern. Billionaires are playing their billionaire games with rockets, that isn't for the everyday person and won't be for god knows how long if ever. 

We can just agree to disagree. Its cool to think about the next true innovation in travel for the everyday person. I just think its still a LONG way off. Its like A.I. which isn't anything like what they projected 15 years ago. Overhyped and underperformed. 
Yep, we can agree to disagee.  Once the reliable technology exists to power transportation drones, I think alternate ways to travel will soon follow.  I also feel AI isn't failing; it's just getting started.  Have you spoken to Google or Alexa lately?   Amazon already has drones delivering purchased items directly to homes, and there are now autonomous semi-trucks that will soon hit roads delivering goods.  I feel all of the new technology will change the way we run our everyday lives and make its way to the transportation sector in my lifetime.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
SD and having a ride directly to your Florida beach house rental.  I think it could/will
happen.
I don't see that happening. The first grotesque accident (and it will happen) where one of these falls out of the sky and the inhabitant makes a pulpy mess, and you'll see interest wane significantly. Also, the ability to go up to 30,000 feet and cruise in pressurized air makes for quick and incredibly safe travel. Going 60 mph from Minneapolis to Florida would only take what, 25 hours?  =) And what about bad weather at low altitudes? How many times would you have to stop to recharge/refuel? Its cold up in the air the farther you get. 

This is cool and all but for mass transit? No way. For personal trips that are short or in high density cities? I see more of a possibility for sure in that regard. But still: look at that tiny ass carriage. And hit one bird and it could bash your face in or cause you to plummet to your death. Doesn't look at all practical from any standpoint other than its 'really cool'. 
I wasn't thinking this will happen next year, but this is just the start of it.  I'm thinking decades (maybe 2 or 3) from now.  Yes, I do think this technology will one day make the ridiculously complicated airports as we know them obsolete.  There are now rockets taking people into space for the fun of it.  I think all transportation is going to change drastically in the next 20 to 30 years.
I think the direction for the next 20 years (short term) is electric cars (more of them) and autonomous vehicles. We already have a highway/road/street system in which to use. The infrastructure is there. Personal flying like in the OP? Lots more to figure out from a logistics aspect. From a safety aspect. Cost. Sustainability. ETC. Airports aren't complicated, its just a mass transit system. It inherently can be challenging moving lots of people around in the air when safety is the top concern. Billionaires are playing their billionaire games with rockets, that isn't for the everyday person and won't be for god knows how long if ever. 

We can just agree to disagree. Its cool to think about the next true innovation in travel for the everyday person. I just think its still a LONG way off. Its like A.I. which isn't anything like what they projected 15 years ago. Overhyped and underperformed. 
Yep, we can agree to disagee.  Once the reliable technology exists to power transportation drones, I think alternate ways to travel will soon follow.  I also feel AI isn't failing; it's just getting started.  Have you spoken to Google or Alexa lately?   Amazon already has drones delivering purchased items directly to homes, and there are now autonomous semi-trucks that will soon hit roads delivering goods.  I feel all of the new technology will change the way we run our everyday lives and make its way to the transportation sector in my lifetime.
Agreed, and make many human driven jobs obsolete.  We need to have a discussion about the structure of a Universal Basic Income (Milton Friedman, Richard Nixon).  People shouldn't be left behind because technology has taken their career prospects away while producing higher earnings for these massive corporations.  

Without it, we will have such unbelievable levels of income inequality America will become a very sad place.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
happen.

This thing could also be a great asset to search and rescue - think of the territory you could cover. Actual drones are great as well, but this thing can bring an actual person to an area for first aid etc.

Speaking of...

Quote: @Skodin said:
@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
happen.

Agreed, and make many human driven jobs obsolete.  We need to have a discussion about the structure of a Universal Basic Income (Milton Friedman, Richard Nixon).  People shouldn't be left behind because technology has taken their career prospects away while producing higher earnings for these massive corporations.  

Without it, we will have such unbelievable levels of income inequality America will become a very sad place.
I wonder about this from time to time... at what point do those corporations then start telling those unemployed / uneducated that are suckling at their teat that they cant have children,  what they are allowed to own,  where they are allowed to live,   etc?  I highly doubt that many corporations will line up to fleeced while the general population lives for free.   We are certainly at a threshold right now of what you are speaking of.  drive through lines are crazy because nobody is opening their dining rooms any more because they cant find enough help,  conventional restaurants are struggling to stay open for the same reasons, and that is just one industry.  If everyone is guaranteed a livable wage,  who sets that threshold of what is "livable"?  how much more will you have to pay people above that living wage to actually incentivize them to go to work,  and then that kills the profit margins so the cost of goods will have to go up or the businesses go under... which just creates more unemployed people and bigger and bigger corporations that are suddenly to large for the govt to control. (tell me we dont already have the tail wagging the dog in many instances)

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Skodin said:
@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
happen.

I wonder about this from time to time... at what point do those corporations then start telling those unemployed / uneducated that are suckling at their teat that they cant have children,  what they are allowed to own,  where they are allowed to live,   etc?  I highly doubt that many corporations will line up to fleeced while the general population lives for free.   We are certainly at a threshold right now of what you are speaking of.  drive through lines are crazy because nobody is opening their dining rooms any more because they cant find enough help,  conventional restaurants are struggling to stay open for the same reasons, and that is just one industry.  If everyone is guaranteed a livable wage,  who sets that threshold of what is "livable"?  how much more will you have to pay people above that living wage to actually incentivize them to go to work,  and then that kills the profit margins so the cost of goods will have to go up or the businesses go under... which just creates more unemployed people and bigger and bigger corporations that are suddenly to large for the govt to control. (tell me we dont already have the tail wagging the dog in many instances)
It looks like we are running towards the scenario you described with or without UBI.  UBI should be seen as a raising the floor, providing a net so people don't fall through.   $1,000 a month is not going make everyone quit their jobs, but it will be a big help for those who want to further their careers, take a different job because they can pay for child care, have emergency money for issues that could cause them to lose their jobs.  The Alaska Permanent Fund is a good example of employment steadiness under a UBI like system

Tech, automation, it is only going to drive profits higher for corporations and push expenses lower.  That's a fact.   People who aren't in tech should be the sacrifices for those profits, those margins.  They need to be protected, if not inequality is going to turn into violence.  The market doesn't want violence, instability.  There is no need for it with the greatest accumulation of wealth the world has ever seen.   We need to be having conversations about this, it is enviable.

This is not welfare, it's the way the world needs to be able to operate moving forward.

@JimmyinSD said:
@Skodin said:
@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
happen.

It looks like we are running towards the scenario you described with or without UBI.  UBI should be seen as a raising the floor, providing a net so people don't fall through.   $1,000 a month is not going make everyone quit their jobs, but it will be a big help for those who want to further their careers, take a different job because they can pay for child care, have emergency money for issues that could cause them to lose their jobs.  The Alaska Permanent Fund is a good example of employment steadiness under a UBI like system

Tech, automation, it is only going to drive profits higher for corporations and push expenses lower.  That's a fact.   People who aren't in tech should be the sacrifices for those profits, those margins.  They need to be protected, if not inequality is going to turn into violence.  The market doesn't want violence, instability.  There is no need for it with the greatest accumulation of wealth the world has ever seen.   We need to be having conversations about this, it is enviable.

This is not welfare, it's the way the world needs to be able to operate moving forward.
so what is to prevent my scenario where the big tech giants then own your life since they are funding it?  I could see a situation where big companies subsidize service industries wages to try and keep people employed,( i am sure that would be a whole new level of fraud)  but simply handing out a grand to the unemployed will not move the needle IMO,  sure some will use it as it is intended,  many others will simply hustle other ways to get by like dealing drugs, or other things that people are currently doing to get by without having to get a real job.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Skodin said:
@JimmyinSD said:

so what is to prevent my scenario where the big tech giants then own your life since they are funding it?  I could see a situation where big companies subsidize service industries wages to try and keep people employed,( i am sure that would be a whole new level of fraud)  but simply handing out a grand to the unemployed will not move the needle IMO,  sure some will use it as it is intended,  many others will simply hustle other ways to get by like dealing drugs, or other things that people are currently doing to get by without having to get a real job.
#1 how do you stop it?  
#2 what do you do about the people who will absolutely be hurt by it?

Let's worry about those things instead of what people "are going to do" IF they get it.   A lot of people are going to be hurt, going to be left behind, you saw it in the first wave of globalization.  This is the next wave and the ones that hurting in an revenue increasing world are going to need help.

You also just made a good case for why drugs should be legal, either they work in legalized industries or their black market opportunities dry up

@JimmyinSD said:
@Skodin said:
@JimmyinSD said:

#1 how do you stop it?  
#2 what do you do about the people who will absolutely be hurt by it?

Let's worry about those things instead of what people "are going to do" IF they get it.   A lot of people are going to be hurt, going to be left behind, you saw it in the first wave of globalization.  This is the next wave and the ones that hurting in an revenue increasing world are going to need help.

You also just made a good case for why drugs should be legal, either they work in legalized industries or their black market opportunities dry up
Most drugs should not be legal,  just because people sell those drugs is no logical reason or argument  to legalize them.  If somebody wants to enjoy a little pot from time to time fine,  but most things are much more harmful than weed and in no way should they be considered safe or made legal.  The black market will always exist,   they will just move to some other vice,  often more damaging than what you took away.

It's already happening...https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/the-flying-taxi-market-is-ready-to-change-worldwide-travel.html
Flying cars, now known as electric air taxis, have
been around for a long time in our dreams. If you watched sci-fi
staples like “The Jetsons” or “Back to the Future,” you may have
indulged in flights of fancy about winging it to work and waving traffic
jams goodbye.
But now that major brands like Toyota, Uber, Hyundai, Airbus and Boeing
are promising to whisk riders through the skies in flying taxis, the
dream is getting closer to reality. The goal is to link urban centers
with suburbs while leapfrogging traffic — air taxis could cruise at 180
mph at altitudes of around 1,000 ft to 2,000 ft. But NASA has reported
they can go at an altitude up to 5,000 ft.
It’s
a market that should continue to mature during this decade and then
boom globally. The autonomous urban aircraft market may be worth $1.5
trillion by 2040, according to a Morgan Stanley Research study. Another urban air mobility (UAM) study,
by Frost & Sullivan, sees air taxis beginning in 2022 in Dubai and
expanding with a compound annual growth rate of about 46% to more than
430,000 units in operation by 2040. Driving this trend is a confluence
of technologies, including autonomous vehicles such as drones and
self-driving cars, more efficient batteries and advanced manufacturing
techniques. 
It’s not surprising that companies — from
venture-backed start-ups and Uber to major auto and aviation companies —
are rushing to grab a foothold in this nascent market. The business has
the potential to significantly disrupt the landscape of urban mobility,
and investors are pouring millions into commercialization efforts.They
are attracted to the fact that electric air taxis have the potential to
lower operating and maintenance costs dramatically.
Electric
air taxis come in several shapes and sizes, and many look quite
different from conventional fixed-wing aircraft. Electric motors replace
jet engines, and vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) aircraft, designed
to avoid the need for long runways, have rotating wings and, in some
cases, rotors in place of propellers. Only a few companies are making
vehicles that actually look like cars with wings.