Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: OMG!!! I found MY NEW way to go to work!!! Who wants one??!!
This is simply too cool for school. My commute will change forever!

whoa.  That would be cool.  The top speed I saw in the video was 49, so it might take a while, but that would be so sweet.

site says 100 km/h which is about 62 mph

Will take one! Would be great for my work around the country)

$90k and 210# capacity will limit its broader appeal,  but a neat toy for the rich little people  :p

Drone technology on steroids. 

Cool little machine, but I'd like to know what redundant little systems are in place in case one of those 8 blades F's up. 

Personal drones will fly the skies and one day airports as we know them will
be obsolete.  Imagine calling Uber in January from your home in MN, ND, or
SD and having a ride directly to your Florida beach house rental.  I think it could/will
happen.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
SD and having a ride directly to your Florida beach house rental.  I think it could/will
happen.
I don't see that happening. The first grotesque accident (and it will happen) where one of these falls out of the sky and the inhabitant makes a pulpy mess, and you'll see interest wane significantly. Also, the ability to go up to 30,000 feet and cruise in pressurized air makes for quick and incredibly safe travel. Going 60 mph from Minneapolis to Florida would only take what, 25 hours?  =) And what about bad weather at low altitudes? How many times would you have to stop to recharge/refuel? Its cold up in the air the farther you get. 

This is cool and all but for mass transit? No way. For personal trips that are short or in high density cities? I see more of a possibility for sure in that regard. But still: look at that tiny ass carriage. And hit one bird and it could bash your face in or cause you to plummet to your death. Doesn't look at all practical from any standpoint other than its 'really cool'. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
happen.
I don't see that happening. The first grotesque accident (and it will happen) where one of these falls out of the sky and the inhabitant makes a pulpy mess, and you'll see interest wane significantly. Also, the ability to go up to 30,000 feet and cruise in pressurized air makes for quick and incredibly safe travel. Going 60 mph from Minneapolis to Florida would only take what, 25 hours?  =) And what about bad weather at low altitudes? How many times would you have to stop to recharge/refuel? Its cold up in the air the farther you get. 

This is cool and all but for mass transit? No way. For personal trips that are short or in high density cities? I see more of a possibility for sure in that regard. But still: look at that tiny ass carriage. And hit one bird and it could bash your face in or cause you to plummet to your death. Doesn't look at all practical from any standpoint other than its 'really cool'. 
I wasn't thinking this will happen next year, but this is just the start of it.  I'm thinking decades (maybe 2 or 3) from now.  Yes, I do think this technology will one day make the ridiculously complicated airports as we know them obsolete.  There are now rockets taking people into space for the fun of it.  I think all transportation is going to change drastically in the next 20 to 30 years.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
happen.

I wasn't thinking this will happen next year, but this is just the start of it.  I'm thinking decades (maybe 2 or 3) from now.  Yes, I do think this technology will one day make the ridiculously complicated airports as we know them obsolete.  There are now rockets taking people into space for the fun of it.  I think all transportation is going to change drastically in the next 20 to 30 years.
I think the direction for the next 20 years (short term) is electric cars (more of them) and autonomous vehicles. We already have a highway/road/street system in which to use. The infrastructure is there. Personal flying like in the OP? Lots more to figure out from a logistics aspect. From a safety aspect. Cost. Sustainability. ETC. Airports aren't complicated, its just a mass transit system. It inherently can be challenging moving lots of people around in the air when safety is the top concern. Billionaires are playing their billionaire games with rockets, that isn't for the everyday person and won't be for god knows how long if ever. 

We can just agree to disagree. Its cool to think about the next true innovation in travel for the everyday person. I just think its still a LONG way off. Its like A.I. which isn't anything like what they projected 15 years ago. Overhyped and underperformed.