Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mond related information
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Wetlander said:
Huh, guess you can have a Matthew Stafford bod and still be pretty good at football.  Lots of people liked to rip Mac Jones for what he isn't...  but fail to recognize all the little things he does that go into being a good NFL QB.
He may end up being the best of the bunch...And I wouldn't have touched him in the top 15. All because he had too much talent around him @ Bama.

I was happy with the trade down to get Darrisaw, Mond (who I also liked), and Davis...  but at the time, I was hoping we'd take Jones at 14.  I wonder what the Wilfs will think if Mac Jones becomes a successful NFL QB and we end up moving on from Kirk?  They were in the draft room that night and got to witness Spielman in action...  if he passed on a franchise QB that fell into his lap, it won't be a good look.  Especially when the Cousins signing hasn't exactly paid off like most thought it would (including me).

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@purplefaithful said:
@Wetlander said:
Huh, guess you can have a Matthew Stafford bod and still be pretty good at football.  Lots of people liked to rip Mac Jones for what he isn't...  but fail to recognize all the little things he does that go into being a good NFL QB.
He may end up being the best of the bunch...And I wouldn't have touched him in the top 15. All because he had too much talent around him @ Bama.

I was happy with the trade down to get Darrisaw, Mond (who I also liked), and Davis...  but at the time, I was hoping we'd take Jones at 14.  I wonder what the Wilfs will think if Mac Jones becomes a successful NFL QB and we end up moving on from Kirk?  They were in the draft room that night and got to witness Spielman in action...  if he passed on a franchise QB that fell into his lap, it won't be a good look.  Especially when the Cousins signing hasn't exactly paid off like most thought it would (including me).
in fairness,  how much of a rookies success is related to the coaching staff and scheme vs the actual players accumen?  Jones might flourish in new england and could very easily have shit the bed in the Vikings camp.

This is inline with how Jones performed in college. Often times, people watching will get enamored with all the talent around him. I’m more interested in where the QB puts the football when he has a decent chance to throw, regardless of his team or even the corner playing the ball. It’s one reason I like this type of metric. It takes a lot of the variables out and gives a pretty good indication of a guys ability to be truly accurate with the ball. Any one of us could have caught passes from Jones. He’s just one of those guys good at anticipating the spot it needs to be. 
Will Jones be good this year? In my opinion, a place like Minnesota would have been a perfect fit for him. A place he could learn without being thrown to the wolves. Now that he starts, I think he’ll have his ups and downs but otherwise be ok.

Bod is one thing, but Jones will never have anything close to a Matthew Stafford arm. This is Cam Newton at 32 years old, many injuries and little broken down he beat out, so I get Bill wanting something more predictable and safe at QB even if it is a rookie than inaccurate Newton. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Wetlander said:
Bod is one thing, but Jones will never have anything close to a Matthew Stafford arm. This is Cam Newton at 32 years old, many injuries and little broken down he beat out, so I get Bill wanting something more predictable and safe at QB even if it is a rookie than inaccurate Newton. 
Right...  but not many QBs have the arm strength of Stafford or can make the same off-platform throws.  Rodgers and Mahomes are probably the only two better?

But that wasn't my point, it was that too many people get caught up in what a QB looks like and overlook the things that make a QB good.  Not enough people paid attention to his quick decision making, accurate arm, pocket awareness, and his ability to beat the blitz and make the right decisions under pressure.  Just watch...  the narrative on Mac Jones will be much different after this year than it was this off-season.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Wetlander said:
I think getting Cam out of the locker room was a big factor too. Players love Cam. The coaches like Cam too. Even in his current form, he’s still a team leader. Cutting him now clears the way for Mac Jones to become more of a leader and potentially blossom as a player as the season goes on.

@StickyBun said:
@Wetlander said:
Right...  but not many QBs have the arm strength of Stafford or can make the same off-platform throws.  Rodgers and Mahomes are probably the only two better?

But that wasn't my point, it was that too many people get caught up in what a QB looks like and overlook the things that make a QB good.  Not enough people paid attention to his quick decision making, accurate arm, pocket awareness, and his ability to beat the blitz and make the right decisions under pressure.  Just watch...  the narrative on Mac Jones will be much different after this year than it was this off-season.
The thing with Jones is, what's his upside? Bill will probably maximize it but I still wonder. lol, the media narrative has already changed, he's the next Tom Brady. There's been nothing but preseason games so far, no barometer of anything. Cam Newton isn't and was never a Bill B. type of QB. It was a round peg in a square hole. 

His upside is some of the things he is doing to give the impression that he is open and receptive to getting the start. Additional upside is that he has Belichick as a coach.